So tell me: what scales do you use, when writing basslines?

Also I'm looking for that funky sound? Any tips on that?
I've been using harmonic minor a bit lately....but usually either blues or natural minor
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
Standard blues, pentatonic minor. Also play a bit in Dorian and Lydian for jazz. And of course Mixolydian and Ionian.

But I also have been exploring some other modes / scales such as Neopolitan minor and Bebop. They can put an interesting twist on your usual bass line when you use them as well.
To get the funky sound, pick and get a lot of pick behind the string, like ur finger touches the string while picking, and just pull the hell outta it. It should make a nice funk sound
Guitars:
Ibanez RG4EX1
Epiphone SG w/EMG's

Amps:
Peavey Windsor Head w/ JSX Cab
MicroCube (for the sake of practice at college)

Pedals :
Fulltone Full Drive 2 Mosfet
Digitech Whammy
Dunlop Crybaby
Quote by gtdude114
To get the funky sound, pick and get a lot of pick behind the string, like ur finger touches the string while picking, and just pull the hell outta it. It should make a nice funk sound

Nah, I mean how to make a funky bassline. I'm lookin for the Blood Sugar Sex Magik kind of vibe.
i generally write it in whatever scale the guitar is in, and when writing, i write the guitar part first usually

if no guitar, i just feel around
thats how i write on guitar as well

however, my general note vocabulary is usually using the minor pentatonic scale(i love that scale for some reason), chromatic scale, possibly minor, whatever gives me the sound i want
Quote by metaldud536
Because there is a bomb in the lasagna!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make loud howling noises and throw your feces at them whenever they bring it up, I suggest that your GF does the same.
Anyone have a link to all the scales I can use?
BRIGHT LIGHTS PUT ME IN A TRANCE.
but it aint house music that makes me want to dance.
I'm a sucker for the pentatonics and the blues.

And funk is not what notes you play, it's the way you play them brother. That said, you will hear the minor 7th used a lot in funk. You can make two notes souund like funk, even one!
Quote by anarkee

But I also have been exploring some other modes / scales such as Neopolitan minor and Bebop. They can put an interesting twist on your usual bass line when you use them as well.

I have never once heard of these could you show me what they are?

Also i usually use the minor scale because i use fifths a lot and this scale gives me lots of options for that.
Quote by kyle1528
I have never once heard of these could you show me what they are?

Also i usually use the minor scale because i use fifths a lot and this scale gives me lots of options for that.

I have a music workshop tonight but I'll try to PM you something tomorrow, when I have a moment.

If you are really into scales and modes, you can't beat the Bass Grimoire book. Its not something you would use everyday to practice out of, but its a great resource that I dig into constantly. It shows how the scales are built in each key and gives several fret patterns. Its about the size of an average music book, so it fits rather nicely in my case as well.

Also, if you are practing near a computer, check out ScaleTool. http://www.scaletool.com/, its a great little freeware program.
Last edited by anarkee at Jan 31, 2007,
I don't know

I wish I knew more. I can play, but I can't explain.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
I like the Phrygian, Aoelian, and Locrian a lot.

One thing thats always fastenated me about this forum is peoples tendencies to use medevial mode names as scale names. You do know that time has progressed?

Kind of like the H chord... except no one but germans use that.

It's a common tendancy to write in whatever key of music you were just listening too. I vary alot while writing basslines. I commonly just use major, and natural minor.
I don't write my music to scales most of the time I use alot of octaves in my writing. And 5ths I know scales can be used in writing some (awesome) songs. But every time I use scales to write a song it just kinda and 's so to avoid the :stickpoke I've just started using random riffs to compose stuff, and throwing in octaves and what not. Sorry for the randomness.
Quote by elemenohpee
One thing thats always fastenated me about this forum is peoples tendencies to use medevial mode names as scale names. You do know that time has progressed?

Kind of like the H chord... except no one but germans use that.

It's a common tendancy to write in whatever key of music you were just listening too. I vary alot while writing basslines. I commonly just use major, and natural minor.

What do you call 'em?

And anyways, Medieval = Metal.
haha
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
What do you call 'em?

And anyways, Medieval = Metal.

Today they are generally called by the scale names. Major, Natural Minor, Harmonic Minor, and Melodic Minor are the most common ones.
I was starting to get them confused after reading up on so much Scale type stuff (scale names and modes etc), is there a clear difference between modes and scales? or just different naming.

Oh and Medieval = Metal. I agree
Quote by Kepulix
I love the sound of doom in the morning, it sounds like... victory
A scale is a scale. The modes are scales, they are just different modes of the major scale thats all. Modes seem quite complicated but really they are simple. you just have to learn the formulas and you're done..
Quote by elemenohpee
Today they are generally called by the scale names. Major, Natural Minor, Harmonic Minor, and Melodic Minor are the most common ones.

I find calling them by modes is way simpler. I haven't got my modes up to par in any way but I find them way easier to remember than all the different names for the minor scale and all that.
Quote by Applehead
^ I agree, i think people use them to show they know some stuff.

But Applehead, I would have to waste all that great mnemonic tools I used to learn the names of the 7 modes . You know "I Don't play like Miles and Louie" or "I Don't Play Loud Music After Lectures"...)

Actually, its the way I was taught them, so its natural to refer to the Latin names.
I can never remember those lines ! i got in thwe habit of just remembering it, as my piano teacher told me when you remember things with lines like that, you tend to rubn through the line quivkly to figure it out, like when reading music. so she said always just remember. takes a bit more time though.

So does nobody else cane the pentatonic then? i love that sh!t !
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
I like the Phrygian, Aoelian, and Locrian a lot.

Amen, sometimes I use harmonic minor but I always go for the natural minor first. The only shortened scale I like is the blues scale, I don't care much for the pentatonics but it's totally personal choice.

Applehead was right about it's how you play that defines a style most.
i think someone should do a theory of the month on scales, with teh scale lines, for as many as possible, it would sure help me, and would no doubt help lots of people
Custom 4 String P/J-Bass
Zoom B2.1u
Ashdown Thomann Special Edition 180w
Ashdown Perfect 10 Combo

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
I use minor scales (natural and harmonic) and blues scales a lot, although I've been messing around with more chromatic stuff.
I don't use scales. I just go with what flows and don't really think about what to play, I just feel it. But to try and help you, I like the way pentatonics sound and they have a bit of rock/blues feel.