Okay I play an Epiphone Sg Custom out of a Line 6 Spider III (Shut up I never use the "insane setting, nor do I think they suck) and a Dunlop cry baby, any way I am starting to use the neck pickup for solos because it sounds better, however it says rythem(sp?) does this mean its only used for rythem (again sp?) guitarist? but when I see vidoes of famous players playing (Slash, Angus, ect) the are playing with the neck.???
You can use whichever pickup you want. I myself love the lead tone of the neck pickup.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
yeah i agree and slash uses the the neck pick up on sweet child o mine.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons.
personally, when i do lead, i like to have the pickup selector in the middle position, but i roll the rythym volume down to about 7.
Doesn't really matter. That terminology was created when rhythm guitar was generally clean strumming, so a mellower tone was desired.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
I love the neck pickup tone for soloing. It just sounds fuller, I can't stand the bridge pickup's squealing trebles most of the time.
I use the bridge pickup for everything but jam/jazz/blues. The neck pickup is just way too thick and bassy for rock(for me.) but yeah, use whichever you want.
^ I'm the opposite, I use the neck pickup for everything except the little amount of shredding I do. I find the neck pickup to be louder (don't know why, but it is) and fuller in sound than the bridge, and it sounds awesome when playing distorted (which I do 99.9% of the time, again don't ask me why).
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
There are no set rules in guitar, to be honest, so use whatever pick-up you feel is better.
Quote by onemanarmy9
I find the neck pickup to be louder (don't know why, but it is)

The strings are traveling more over the neck pickup than the bridge pickup so it will be louder. Some sets of pickups are made so that the bridge pickup is hotter to make up for the difference in output though.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
The neck pickup has a bassier/smoother tone than the bridge, but you lose out on some of the edge of the bridge pickup. Which pickup you use depends on what type of tone you want. If you are going to be hitting pinch harmonics left and right, then you'll have to use the bridge, but if you want a bassier smooth tone use the neck.

A lot of players use the neck pickup for solos. Off the top of my head, Clapton used the "woman" tone with the neck pickup and tone knob set to 0, and I don't think i've ever seen slash use the bridge pickup before.
GEAR

Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard Plus
Marshall JCM 800 half stack