What are the most important chords to know for jazz? And I think it's called Progressions but do I need to that or whatever it's called? And scales just all of them or pentatonic?

I'm just getting into it so I just wondering for the future.
:
You need to have a strong foundation of seventh chords in all keys. Good progressions to know are the 12 and 16 bar blues, Rhythm Changes and modal progressions. The circle of fifths will be your friend for many many songs. If you only play pentatonic scales, you won't get very far. Theres a recent thread that had a great scales suggestion thing going, try to check that out. I'm sure people will elaborate on this, but there is the basic outline.
Ya for jazz, you should know 4 basic chords. Major 7, minor 7, dominant 7, and diminished 7. With those, you can basically play most everything in easy jazz. It all depends at what level you are at with jazz. Just starting off, those chords will do fine. But getting into more advaned jazz like high school and university, the chords get really crazy from there. Thank goodness for moveable chords. Also, I dont know many people that use the pentatonic for jazz. Personally I use the blues scale and the good ole major scale for jazz.

Now for modes, you dont really have to worry about that just yet. Im in the grade 9/10 jazz band this year and we dont deal with modes at all. Even in the 11/12 they keep it pretty easy for that as modes as used a lot more with piano and guitar. So dont worry about those right now.

Make sure you know your 12 bar blues progression. That is used lots in jazz.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
^ i'm prefereable of a chromatic scale founded around the root scale with emphasized 7ths. it gives a very loose crazy feel
Oh, don't forget half diminished( or min7b5) chords. You'll use those quite a bit.
"Isn't it amazing anything's accomplished
When the little sensation gets in your way
Not one ambition whisperin' over your shoulder
Isn't it amazing you can do anything " - Gord Downie

From the song " Fireworks"
Jazz chords.
Where do i start!?
Quote by IbanezSA160a
Ug's Drunken Irishman prevails over existence once again +All UG'S Point to you my drunken irish friend.

Black/Folk Metal
Major 7, Minor 7, Diminished 7, and Half Diminished are the main scales I should learn, right? And is there a pattern for the 12 Bar Blues so I can play in any key?

Thanks everyone
:
possibly wait...but once you get a strong foundation in 7th chords, i highly reccomend picking up Modern Chord Progressions and Chord Chemistry, both by Ted Greene.

Those books just came in the mail for me today and i have spent the better part of 4 hours reading and practicing. There is enough in these books to keep a man busy for a year at least.

Also, you should pick up Single Note Soloing by Ted Greene.

That guy knows what he's talking about
Quote by OutlawMusician
Major 7, Minor 7, Diminished 7, and Half Diminished are the main scales I should learn, right? And is there a pattern for the 12 Bar Blues so I can play in any key?

Thanks everyone

No, those are not scales. Those are chords.

And for the 12 bar blues progression, google it. Its basically a I-IV-V progression built on dominant 7th chords.

And thanks to whoever corrected me with the half diminished.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Yea whoever said using the chromatic scale is right, use that scale, just make sure you center around the key notes, thats why it is important to know appregios of the different chords as well. Pentatonics are actually used more frequently than you think, but usually not for a very long time, 5 or so seconds. Knowing modes is important too since most people (well...at least me) play off chords using a combination of modes, chromatic scale, and pentatonics.

Progression wise..ii-V-I is the most important 3 chords in jazz.
A good easy song to start out on is Autumn Leaves, becuase you can use everything mentioned in this thread in that song. Plus its a standard.

Chord wise justin_fraser has it, but some other chords which I think sound great in jazz are the Minor 6, Dom 9b5, and the 6th added 9th

EDIT: Other scales commonly used in jazz are the diminished, harmonic minor scales, and the dim/whole tone which is half a diminished scale and half whole tone. I'm sure I'm missing a few things.
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
Quote by justin_fraser
No, those are not scales. Those are chords.

And for the 12 bar blues progression, google it. Its basically a I-IV-V progression built on dominant 7th chords.

And thanks to whoever corrected me with the half diminished.

Well I meant chords but I did google it and I found it so thanks
: