Hey, I have a Line 6 Spider 3 and I play a Squier Strat and I was wondering is there any way for me to get more gain out of them?
I go to eleven..........
Upgrade your pickups to something a lot higher output, maybe a humbucker in the bridge. Really the line 6 should have more gain than you'll ever need though
Quote by jonnyguitarman
Upgrade your pickups to something a lot higher output, maybe a humbucker in the bridge. Really the line 6 should have more gain than you'll ever need though

The thing just won't give me a good hammer-on or pull-off.
I go to eleven..........
yeah, get rid of the Spider! lol. seriously, I don't know whats up? I had a spider II practice amp and it could give pretty good distortion for what it was.
Quote by Spinal Tap

No offence but I think thats more to do with your playing
upgrade your bridge pickup with a single coil hotrail humbucker, and check your set up (intonation, tuning, string hight. Or just try someone elses guitar and see if this makes a difference.
Quote by Spinal Tap

Practice more. I can hammer on or pull off a totally clean amp and make it work. It not hammering on has nothign to do with gain.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
I had a spider II before and it had plenty of gain, so the spider III should definitely have enough gain for you, its definitely as everyone is saying, your pick ups.
Pick up a high output humbucker and you should be better off. If that fails, new amp! haha
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Odd, since I can get great hammer ons even from acoustic guitars. Spend more time practicing with your clean channel. It's not a good thing to hide behind gain.
I haven't played the Line 6 spider III, but its reputation would suggest that you should get plenty of gain. Your guitar could be poorly set up and the fact that it's just low quality isnt helping anything. Despite that, hammer on and pull offs are mostly technique. Keep practicing.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
The thing is I could do a perfect HO/PO on my dad's Fender amp, and it was a cheap 120$ one.

How much do you think i could get for the amp if I sold it?
I go to eleven..........
^Were you using your guitar through your dad's amp or a different one?

And i'm not sure how much you could get for the amp, but take a look at how much they go for on ebay and such to get an idea of it.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
raise ur guitar's strings a little, also raise the pickup closer to the strings.

if u want to spend a little money, then add a humbucker to the bridge.

if ur spending more then, ebay and such like said.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Hows the action on your guitar, I just thought of that.
If the action is too high it'll be harder to nail those hammer-ons, and I know the Squier strats can be pretty poorly set up, lower your action and see if that helps.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Quote by jj1565
raise ur guitar's strings a little, also raise the pickup closer to the strings.

if u want to spend a little money, then add a humbucker to the bridge.

if ur spending more then, ebay and such like said.

Well I just adjusted my pickups closer to my strings. It got a little better, but I think I need new pickups/amp/guitar.
I go to eleven..........
^Tensor...well it might be that, they are hard to pull off cause the strings are too high to work with.

but maybe it's that his strings are too low and a high fret (not uncommon on a squier) is choking the notes dead.

and glad raising the pup helped. but yeah, look into a higher output humbucker or a new guitar / amp.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I have the 212, so hold the tap button and turn the drive knob all the way.
I love neapolitan ice cream, but I HATE VANILA AND STRAWBERRY!

Tremulous Name:
Aaron-[UVache]
Pull-off/Hammer-on using distortion or on the clean channel?. I think is more of technique than amp/pickups.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Hammering on and pulling off, whilst undeniably easier with gain, is something that you need to be able to do completely clean. Hell, when I was learning I decided to learn on an acoustic guitar so that it was easier in future. Worked nicely.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I am going to ignore everyone elses post....1st squire....2nd Spider....spider = crap! And by crap I mean crappy, cold, no dynamics crap! Squire comes with some pretty beat pickups....if your not going to save up for a new guitar buy some new pickups. But definetly buy a new amp....preferably somethig that doesnt blow a major amount of digital crap.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die