I found this shape while writing some stuff. Can't figure out what it is, I though it sounded kinda harmonic, but yeah what the heck is it? or what is it similar or close to?
------5-6-----8-----------------
------------7--8-------------
------5----7--8----------------
------5----7--8-------------
------5-6--------9---------
------5-6-----8---------------
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Last edited by Devon8822 at Jan 31, 2007,
That is A Locrian natural 6, the second mode of G harmonicminor.

The intervals are 1 b2 b3 4 b5 6 7.

Read this to see why you can't call it Locrian sharp 6.

Edit: What an idiot I am (no siggy!). Of course it has a flattened fifth!
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Jan 31, 2007,
locrian with a sharp 6
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Okay, well the scale formula for that looks like 1 2b 3 4 5 6b 7b. I don't know exactly what the scale is called, but that's gonna be your formula. The scale is gonna be in the key of D by the way.
Quote by xxieatbabiesxxx
Okay, well the scale formula for that looks like 1 2b 3 4 5 6b 7b. I don't know exactly what the scale is called, but that's gonna be your formula. The scale is gonna be in the key of D by the way.
That's wrong, but explain your logic and I will teach you the correct information.
hmmm great, I was just making a song in gp and i was gunna do a run in the phrygian shape of the minor scale and It did sound right so I eventually build this scale^^. The root is on the 14 fret and its over power chords, I wouldnt expect it to sond so damn good. Should it be as good as it is?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Quote by bangoodcharlote
That's wrong, but explain your logic and I will teach you the correct information.

Starting from D seemed logical to me because I had seen a scale like this before. The notes are D D# F# G A A# C. So I just figured it had a minor 2nd, 6th, and 7th.

As I said, I was just basing this one a scale I had seen before. Where exactly did I make an error?
Quote by Devon8822
The root is on the 14 fret and its over power chords
In that case, it is F# Locrian natural 6.

Over which powerchords is this played, because, depending on what you play underneath, this scale could be one of the other modes of G harmonic minor.
I got another little question. Im playing in A with the minor scale I am at the phryngian shape. Can anyon direct me to a tab of the phryngian harmonic, i wanna see if it fits well?
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage
------5-6-----8-----------------
------------7--8-------------
------5----7--8----------------
------5----7--8-------------
------5-6--------9---------
------5-6-----8---------------

That looks better
Quote by xxieatbabiesxxx
Starting from D seemed logical to me because I had seen a scale like this before. The notes are D D# F# G A A# C. So I just figured it had a minor 2nd, 6th, and 7th.

As I said, I was just basing this one a scale I had seen before. Where exactly did I make an error?
Error 1: When no root is given, assume it is the lowest note. In this case, the root is A. This isn't a big deal, but it's something you should know.

Error 2: Your spelling of the notes is wrong. In a Western scale, you must have each (letter) note represented exactly one time. You would have to write those notes as D Eb F# G A Bb C.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Error 1: When no root is given, assume it is the lowest note. In this case, the root is A. This isn't a big deal, but it's something you should know.

Error 2: Your spelling of the notes is wrong. In a Western scale, you must have each (letter) note represented exactly one time. You would have to write those notes as D Eb F# G A Bb C.

Thanks a lot. Sorry, I'm a self-taught player so I missed out on some of these little facts. I'm glad you told me though.
Quote by Devon8822
I got another little question. Im playing in A with the minor scale I am at the phryngian shape. Can anyon direct me to a tab of the phryngian harmonic, i wanna see if it fits well?
Phrygian harmonic isn't a scale as far as I know, but you probably mean the 5th mode of harmonic minor, Phrygian dominant (it has many names). Its intervals are 1 b2 3 4 5 b6 b7.

In A:

e-5-6-9----
B-5-6-8----
G-6-7------
D-5-7-8----
A-5-7-8----
E-5-6-9----
phryngian harmonic shape?
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage
I tryed raising the 7th myself, but it turned out weird. 3 frets all right beside eachother?
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage
Quote by Devon8822
I tryed raising the 7th myself, but it turned out weird. 3 frets all right beside eachother?
I'm thinking that Harmonic Phrygian is the same thing as Phrygian dominant.
where can i fidn a tab?
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage