Okay, I got a Cry Baby 535q and a TS-808 reissue with the refund I got for my faulty Spider II (they were supposed to take the amp from me, but they didn't, and I've since gotten it to work again! Too bad it sounds like shit...). I like the Tubescreamer. However, the wah is crap. With my first amp, an Alesis modeling amp (think Spider II, except rarer, better tone but a lot of frizz), I had a footpedal with the amp, and with the wah effect, I had some fun, and got decent tone, for what it was. But this wah, I can't get any wah tone! Voodoo Child? Not a chance. Not even close. A nice metal wah solo? Forget it. To put it simply, when I engage the wah, I rock my foot over the pedal, and there is almost NO range whatsoever! It's like the wah is incredibly weak, and barely even adds a wah effect!

I've been patient, but now I'm done. I figured, maybe when I got a tube amp, it would sound better. I got an Epiphone Valve Junior. The pedal sucks with that amp. The only decent tones I've gotten out of this wah were with the volume and 'Q' settings maxed, on the 1st position, in front of a heavily distorted amp. Even then, it is extremely lackluster. The thing sounded weak when I demoed (sp?) it at Guitar Center, but I got it anyways as time was limited and I was set on it after reading reviews on the internet.

I can't imagine so many people have terrible taste in a wah. Pearl Jam uses this wah. It can't be that bad. What the Hell is the matter here? Is it my individual wah? Do I just not know how to use a wah? The artist settings suggest sound nothing like the artists they are meant to sound like. At this point, I just want to get rid of this pedal and get some cash for it. If anyone has any settings they might share, I'd appreciate it. As well, commentary relating to my predicament would be greatly appreciated, useful or no.

I also apologize for my writing. I'm sure this is all incoherent babble, with poor grammar and the like, but I'm feeling rather frazzled, and I'm quite stupid in all honesty. Cheers. Thanks in advance for any input.
totally agree. but just because dunlop say they use it doesn't mean it's true.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I can think of two options:
-You got a bad one;
-You were expecting something completely different.

I had one, and while it's not the best wah in the world, it certainly sounded very good at most of the settings. They don't suggest it, but I ran mine at 18 volts for some different sounds, you might want to try that.
535Qs are good wahs. I'm not gonna lie. You either got a faulty one, or the amp you have doesn't generally take pedals that well.
Sent from my iPad.
What I was expecting was this: a wah that could go from nice, mellow clean wah, with a funky, old sound, to a full wah that would go 'ooowahhhh', covering much tonal ground and have serious presence and tone. I got neither.

I must inquire into the "faulty one" theory. How does that work, exactly? Anyone got any ideas on that? Figuring these wahs are based on computer crap, shouldn't the wahs all sound the same, and be exempt of bad eggs? I could be totally off base here; I really have no idea.

Finally, how, exactly, would I prove this wah is simply faulty? If it is, I need a refund. I'd hate to sell/trade this thing to someone knowing it might be faulty. You don't misrespresent a product when it's as important as a musical instrument. Bad karma.

If my amps don't take pedals well, and this is possible, as my TS-808 sounds pretty crappy on the EVJ, can anyone vouch for the Spider II being poor with pedals, or, more specifically, wahs?

Thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated.
You must have a faulty 535Q. I've been using a 535Q for about 4 or 5 years, definitely one of the most versatile wahs out there. After seeing that you don't think it has enough range, your wah has to be faulty. I can get anything from a Voodoo Child (slight return) to the deep wah sound in Dream Theater's - Home. The only problem I've come across with the 535Q, and like most wahs, is the on/off switch starts to get sticky, which is a cheap and easy fix.

I've never tried a Spider with pedals, but I've heard that they don't take pedals well.
The 'faulty' theory works just the same for this as it does for any product: they made one that doesn't work properly. I'm not sure what you meant by 'based on computer crap,' the wah is 100% analog and probably wasn't even designed with computers, it's just a circuit.

You could have a bat pot or a bad inductor. I'd suggest sending it back if you can.

And this sounds basic, but have you tried messing thoroughly with all the knobs? With the silver dial in the uppermost position, the volume boost off, and the Q all the way up (it's easy to get that backwards on this wah) you should be getting a very large range out of it.
I had a bad pot in a Vox V847 wah that I had before the 535Q. The wah sounded almost useless. From the sounds of it, it must have a bad pot.
^ I'll give it a try. I can get a variety of tones, obviously. Nothing special, certainly no 'Swiss Army knife' effect, but I can change the tone. The issue is that the ****er has no presence; it lacks balls, to put it simply. I engage it, and I hear a weak, flaccid, watered down, pansy wah. It doesn't have much sweep(?), and it just lacks presence and strength. It's weak, and essentially useless. I can barely hear the wah effect, it sounds mostly like a weak change in frequencies: the sweep will accentuate the highs or lows, but it doesn't have PRESENCE.

I am not an idiot. I also have decent taste in tone, and I am no fool. My wah sucks. I can understand that my amps might simply not take it well, but even so, I can't imagine there is any excuse for my wah to sound as piss poor and useless as it does. If it would help, I -might- be able to post some soundclips of the wah in action, listing the settings. You could tell me if my ears are crazy. I understand I shouldn't expect to get Kirk Hammett/Stevie Ray Vaughan tone, because a wah is one part of the equation. However, I have a very high quality Fender Stratocaster, and I now have a functional, class-A tube amp, cheap it may be. I don't understand how this wah could be as weak as it is.

Finally, if I were to attempt to return the wah, how would that work? What if they tell me: 'It works. Sorry pal" ? Any idea on the warranty? This wah has sounded as it does since day 1, so I know it wasn't my fault. I've taken good care of it. I don't remember the details of the warranty, I just remember the salesman told me that if the ****er craps out on me, they'll refund the product and it's a nonchalant, simple process and they usually won't even want the defunct pedal back, they'll just replace/refund it.

Finally, I GREATLY APPRECIATE everyone's input: this has been incredibly frustrating for me, and I feel truly jipped. I've lusted after wah ever since I went through my Clapton phase, when I first started playing my guitar every day 2 years ago. I am quite poor and I really hate to think I'm stuck with a pedal I hate to use. Thanks everyone.

EDIT: Is there any way to get a refund/replacement from Guitar Center if I have lost the receipt? Do they keep their own record of receipt?
Last edited by spittle8 at Jan 31, 2007,
Quote by Guitarmiester
I had a bad pot in a Vox V847 wah that I had before the 535Q. The wah sounded almost useless. From the sounds of it, it must have a bad pot.

i dunno, i had the same problems with mine, except it was noisy, made this god-awful sound when switching the setting or turning it on or off, and no matter how you messed with it, it always sounded the same.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Always sounded the same? Don't know what to tell you, mine is incredibly versatile, you can hear the difference in each position. Not sure what to tell you about the noise either, mine is dead quiet.
it's a moot point, i returned it like 6 months ago. i like my morley. i'm thinking of a vox too though, morley is too metal for some of my stuff.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
Bump. 0_0

I have the warranty. I tore my house apart looking for it. Now I have -one- question: as pertains to Guitar Center warranties on Dunlop pedals (1 year parts and labor), how do I get my refund? I'm not a gear head, I don't technically know that the pot is faulty. But that seems logical. When I got it, the salesmen told me they're very lax with refunds on pedals, and they probably won't ask any questions or ask for the faulty product, just giving me a replacement. So I ask: are they going to be dicks and hassle me on this? I'm going to try to get a refund/replacement soon. Cheers.
Last edited by spittle8 at Jan 31, 2007,
I haven't bought much from GC, so I don't know how they are with returns. If they don't take it, Dunlop is great with repairs. Just call or email Dunlop, they'll get back to you quickly with an address to ship the pedal out to.

I'm sure GC should accept the return. If they don't, just make a scene. They need sales. They don't want potential customers seeing a customer getting screwed by them.
Quote by Guitarmiester
I haven't bought much from GC, so I don't know how they are with returns. If they don't take it, Dunlop is great with repairs. Just call or email Dunlop, they'll get back to you quickly with an address to ship the pedal out to.

I'm sure GC should accept the return. If they don't, just make a scene. They need sales. They don't want potential customers seeing a customer getting screwed by them.

I don't feel comfortable making a scene. I wish I could do something like that, but two fears prevent such action: the fear of looking like a spoiled brat, and the fear that Guitar Center bouncers will present themselves out of nowhere and whisk me away into a van, never to be seen again...

Dunlop required warranty information to be registered within 14 days. It's been a while. Guitar Center's 1 year warranty is still quite valid, though. Thanks.
They didn't hassle me when i returned my ds-1. I think their policy is as long as the warranty is valid they'll take it back no questions asked.
Quote by spittle8
I don't feel comfortable making a scene. I wish I could do something like that, but two fears prevent such action: the fear of looking like a spoiled brat

I never said act like a kid, I said make a scene. A local shop I used to live by sold me an Ibanez Tube King a few years ago that they guaranteed would work 100% (it was used.) I took it home, I actually ordered the specific adaptor for it too, and the pedal didn't work. Returned it that same day and made them give me a new one that they've had in the display case for years. I could care less that the *new* Tube King was an extra $80, I got them to swap the broken, the one they guaranteed would work, for the new one.

Whoever said making a scene means acting like a kid? I don't know about anyone else, but I don't let anybody screw me over.
^ I agree 100%. I just lack the confidence to huster and bluster, I'd be too worried I'd just make an ass out of myself rather than accomplishing a goal. Being ****ed over sucks. Yeah.
I'm sure they'll take it back though, so you probably don't even need to worry about it. They want you (and your money) to come back, so they wouldn't risk that just over a wah pedal.
have you tried changing the battery?
Got bored left. Got bored where I went away to. Came back.