Im looking for a distortion pedal for my vintage solid state BC rich, so that when my JSX is at my gig space, I can have tube like distortion to jam on at home.

How are these pedals? Is it just a gimmick, and doesnt sound any better than the next crap distortion pedal?

The pedal in question is the Damage Control: Solid Metal.
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
Is it actually a decent pedal? I've heard a lot of garbage about it
Main rig:
ESP Horizon FR-II
ENGL Invader 150
Mesa Traditional cab w/ v30's
ISP Decimator Pro Rack G
BBE Sonic Maximizer 482i

Back up rig:
ESP Eclipse STBC
LTD EC-1000 VB
Framus Cobra modded
the krank is a POS, in my opinion. it's like most of the stuff that's tailored to the super heavy metal crowd--lots of gain, no tone. i've never tried any of the Damage Control pedals, but i've watched demos and listened to sound samples online and it doesn't seem all that impressive, really. some tube distros are really good, though (Radial ToneBone Plexitube, H&K TubeMan, etc), but i'd suggest either a Tech 21 SansAmp GT2 or Tri A.C.. i've got the GT2 and it sounds amazing. really, really great tone from it. it's not a tube pedal, but it's a tube emulator that, while not spot-on accurate, sounds really great for most applications. if you're looking for a little more versatility, though, go with the Tri AC as it's essentially a GT2 with three presets. this way, you can get a nice, warm clean tone (to hide the sterile harshness of your practice amp), a great Plexi-like overdrive, and high gain stuff. other good options might be the ProCo Duecetone and the G2D Morpheus.