Page 1 of 4
Well, it's not reallly a "gig," it's the school talent show. My band is pretty good, we could probably pull off most of the suggestions unless they're really difficult. Anyways, we need a song to play. No metal, my school isn't the metal type. I'd like to play something the students as well as the teachers might recognize and enjoy, but I don't want to necessarily play an "oldie."

We're playing for a bunch of high school and middle school students. They don't have exquisite UG music taste, so the song needs to be by a somewhat popular band. It also should have a strong, upbeat feeling with a powerful chorus.

"Sliver" by Nirvana would be perfect, but I don't want to go up singing about a mean grandpa and eating ice cream and wanting my grandma to take me home.

suggestions?

thanks.
The beatles?

Everyone loves the beatles.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Come On Feel The Noise baby.
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

maybe some Rhcp?

wait no.
x-stream by voivod

edit:v v Ha!
FREE-FORM METAL
Van Halen FTW. Led Zeppelin FTW. Fall Out Boy= Shit. Old school rock 'n roll is the best for an all ages crowd. You Really Got Me is a hit anytime you play it. Make your choice.
My gear:
-Ibanez JS 6000 Custom w/ 11-48 gauge
-Ibanez FGM 400BB w/ 10-46 gauge
-Peavey 6505 2x12 Combo
-MXR Phase 90
-Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
-Morley Wah/Volume Pro Series II
-Boss CS-3 Compression Sustainer
-Gator G-Bus 8
-Xotic BB Preamp
I think you should play Ain't Comin Home by Silvertide but no one will reconize it so I'd say something like Sugar We're Goin Down....thats wut my band played and we won the show
please don't compromise.

if you can't play anything other than crap pop, then don't play it at all.

i'd love to see your school get blown away by some insane metal song.

but for the sake of argument, play some AC/DC. rock the house. simple, powerful, and gets the job done.
I don't care how old/new it is, but I would STRONGLY suggest nothing emo. Not only does it suck, but the teachers and judges won't like it.
Quote by Whereistheline
I think you should play Ain't Comin Home by Silvertide but no one will reconize it so I'd say something like Sugar We're Goin Down....thats wut my band played and we won the show

you are the first person i have ever seen who actually likes silvertide, other than me lol they are an amazing band!!
Quote by halfback_712
I don't care how old/new it is, but I would STRONGLY suggest nothing emo. Not only does it suck, but the teachers and judges won't like it.

Go with my suggestion. I swear it'll work.
Quote by totenkopfSG
please don't compromise.

if you can't play anything other than crap pop, then don't play it at all.

i'd love to see your school get blown away by some insane metal song.

but for the sake of argument, play some AC/DC. rock the house. simple, powerful, and gets the job done.

lol I REALLY don't want to play pop, but my school would hate metal and we probably wouldn't be able to pull it off, unless maybe if it's Metallica...hey I just gave myself an idea.

AC/DC would be great; we're considering You Shook Me All Night Long.
at my talent show last year, my band played Sweet Child O Mine, then went right into Sgt Peppers and when right into the reprise. you CANNOT go wrong with that
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

Quote by halfback_712

AC/DC would be great; we're considering You Shook Me All Night Long.

i was gonna play that at my talent show but our drummer backed out the day before the show. his reason: "it's too slow of a song"
Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way
my suggestions: under the bridge by rhcp, paranoid by black sabbath (would that be metal?), day tripper by the beatles, or hotel california by the eagles. these are all great songs that can be appreciated by everyone (paranoid wouldnt be a huge hit, tho)

Jack my swag
Sweet Child of Mine is a good idea. So far, it's either that or You Shook Me All Night Long, but we still need more suggestions. This is great and keep it comin!
i had another idea after i posted but u could also play gimme three steps by lynyrd skynyrd

Jack my swag
fermented offal discharge- Necrophagist or Angel of Death- Slayer
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Quote by gopherthegreat
i had another idea after i posted but u could also play gimme three steps by lynyrd skynyrd

ehh I don't think southern rock would be a good idea for a first gig, but I personally like that song. We need some all down to earth rock if you know what I mean.

What do you guys think about playing Are You gonna be My Girl? by Jet? Too cheesy?
slayer = bad idea for playing at a middle/high school talent show lol. he said no metal. if there was metal to be said, i would have loads of suggestions

Jack my swag
Quote by halfback_712
ehh I don't think southern rock would be a good idea for a first gig, but I personally like that song. We need some all down to earth rock if you know what I mean.

What do you guys think about playing Are You gonna be My Girl? by Jet? Too cheesy?

Jet sucks ass. Mmkay?
if you guys have a keyboard player I would have to suggest Highway Star by Deep Purple. It has a good pace, its not exceedingly difficult and it sounds awesome but a keyboardist is a must for highway star
play "Dance to The Music" by Sly and the Family Stone that'd rock my little socks off

Quote by Gowanrules
if you guys have a keyboard player I would have to suggest Highway Star by Deep Purple. It has a good pace, its not exceedingly difficult and it sounds awesome but a keyboardist is a must for highway star

lol I'm our lead guitarist and keyboardist, so I'd have to listen to it to see if maybe I'd be able to switch between between guitar and keyboard, but if they play together, it wouldnt work.
Quote by halfback_712

k......down to earth that would make u win ur show.........let me check my itunes list.........how bout' blitskreig bop? its a bit easy for your or my style but its catchy and the kids will instantly recognize it which is a plus

Jack my swag
look dude i did the same thing in the 8th grade 2 years ago. I want to play "you shook me all night long"(AC/DC) but didnt have a singer and the school thougth it was inapropriate. so i was left 2 weeks before the show having to pick a new song. Well me and my band had to pick something easy so we picked "American Idiot"(green day). you might think wow what a gay song but is was so much fun to play and was pretty easy.we also had to change the curse words too. instead of saying the "mind **** america", said "mind OF america" and replaced fag with loser.

I say go with "I'm not Okay" by My chemical romance. it has a sweet chours and a solo that sounds sweet and isnt that hard. AWSOME SONG EVERYONE WILL LOVE IT. if i had another chance if would do this song.
Quote by halfback_712
lol I'm our lead guitarist and keyboardist, so I'd have to listen to it to see if maybe I'd be able to switch between between guitar and keyboard, but if they play together, it wouldnt work.

They do. Get another guitarist to do Ritchie's parts.
My band is doing Crossroads for the talent show @ our school.
Seinfeld
The Gear:
Fender John Mayer Sig. Strat
Hughes & Kettner Edition Blue 60
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez Tubescreamer
Damn right, I've got the blues.
Quote by kryzay311
RHCP or Incubus

It's my third time suggesting it, but Stellar by Incubus is perfect. Seriously consider it.
Quote by Mastershredder2
you are the first person i have ever seen who actually likes silvertide, other than me lol they are an amazing band!!

Well here's another one. Silvertide rules. Anywho, on topic, my former band played Torn by Creed at a talent show. Seemed like most people liked it, but a lot of the people there were just supporting us. Well, they liked the music. Not the vocals. We didn't even like those. Actually, the people liked it more at the tryouts when we didnt have our singer.
Page 1 of 4