I've been wanting FX for my amp, but only FX. I definitely don't need amp modeling like in other multi FX processors, but my real question is, is the Boss ME-50 good enough to replace tons of single boxes? Also, I've heard that it can't handle high volumes, is that true, and most importantly, does it work good through the FX loop. I have a Traynor YCV50 50 watt tube amp if you're wondering.
I would say go for separate stompboxes because a few months/years down the line you are going to crave the flexibility and tone quality that multiFX can't offer.
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.
A far as high volumes go.....yeah the ME-50 can maintain. I recently just sold my good old trusty ME-50. Its nice for exploring what tone you want eventually. The OD/Distortion is middle of the road. The delay can be annoyingly difficult, the modulation are hit and miss....some are ok some are bad. Some are just useless. its also has a useless expression pedal.

Ali is right...individual pedals are the way to go. And dont always go right for boss or digitech just bc they tend to be at most stores. Effects are like cars....the best ones can be pretty rare. Effects also dont come cheap....but save yourself the time and do it right the first time....dont settle for cheap.

I liked my ME-50...at first I used everything. Then towards the end I only used the OD...then I sold it. Its usable...but its like a buffet line. Everything looks good and it has all you could ever want...but once you dig in it just isnt that good.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
Quote by aliwilson27
I would say go for separate stompboxes because a few months/years down the line you are going to crave the flexibility and tone quality that multiFX can't offer.

Pretty much exactly the position I'm in at the moment.

I'm gonna sell it as soon as I get my 6505 next week, and get a chorus and delay pedal instead of my ME-50.

It's alright for messing around with, but I find some of the features a bit lacking. The wah on it is useless.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

i like mine. im not a big effects guy, but i do use them every now and then, and the effects on there are goo denough for me. the distortions are...pretty good. they are lacking, but they are usable. im probably going to get an overdrive soon but right now im pretty happy with the settings i have it on. i really like the delay. it has a lot of options as far as speed and repeats. and it has a "hold" delay where you can play something for like 2 seconds and it will repeat over and over. i use this a lot to find harmonies for things i write. the tone modify...i dont use it much. i use the acoustic sometimes, its ok. i dont use the compression much at all. the reverb is pretty good. im not a big "reverb tone" freak, so it works for me. on the expression pedal i use the octave up, octave down, and wah mostly. the wah is ok. again, i dont use wah much, so this is good enough for me. the octave up and octave down are cool too. overall i think its great. the only thing i would change is probably the distortions. one day im just gonna get separate overdrives and distortion pedals. but for everything else, i think its worth the price
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I returned my ME-50. I wasn't digging the fact that there was only so little you could do with it to tweak your sound.
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
Single effects ftw, imo
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Yeah. Multi FX suck.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
For the value...this thing is great. I mean my overdrive cost more than I paid for this thing. That is one thing in this things favor....I left that off of my first post. But for the drawbacks....scroll up
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
Last edited by Crimson_Eve at Feb 1, 2007,
Very good value if you want a range of sounds and aren't too bothered about flexibility, but like I said before you'll crave the flexibility and better quality of tone you can coax out of single effects a fw months down the line. Pinpoint which effects you think are most imporant to you, and buy them - Always make sure you test them out!

Buying effects pedals is so bloody addictive and fun, so watch out. Don't say you weren't warned!
A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a closed-minded moron.