I've been thinking about investing in a vibrato effects pedal. I've always been a fan of electro-harmonix and their Wiggler model caught my eye. I've seen tube-driven effects pedals before but I'm not sure what their advantage is to solid state pedals. Is the extra money I'd pay for one of these wasted on the fact that I'd be playing it through a tube amp? Or does this increase the quality of the pedal regardless?
Eh, for the most part I don't think it's worth it. More of a novelty type thing. They're very cool pedals, and there isn't really a solid state equivalent, so if you want that sound you're gonna have to get the Wiggler. But if you had the option between a tube trem and a solid state, probably the solid state would be just as good, and cheaper.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by havocrus
No not a waste. IMO it is better to use tubes wherever you can.

pardon me, but that just seems a little silly. it's all a matter of design and sound. a Vox Valvetone Big Ben Overdrive isn't going to sound as good as an original TS-808 or a vintage Rat, but a Radial ToneBone Hot British overdrive might. it's better to use whatever effect sounds best with your rig, your playing style, and your ears. the wiggler is a great effect and tubes might help yuo get that vintage Fender/Vox tremolo or vibrato sound, but don't get it just because it has tubes in it--get it because it sounds good to you.
Quote by BloodBlooms
pardon me, but that just seems a little silly. it's all a matter of design and sound. a Vox Valvetone Big Ben Overdrive isn't going to sound as good as an original TS-808 or a vintage Rat, but a Radial ToneBone Hot British overdrive might. it's better to use whatever effect sounds best with your rig, your playing style, and your ears. the wiggler is a great effect and tubes might help yuo get that vintage Fender/Vox tremolo or vibrato sound, but don't get it just because it has tubes in it--get it because it sounds good to you.

What site did you use for the pictures of your gear in your signature?
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
How do you make your own?
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
Quote by Guitargod12345
Tube stuff always sounds better than transistor effects and amplifiers.

No! It's all about design, although I can agree that tube amps often sound better then SS amps, regardless of the design.