...yeah, i tried the chiropractor...that didn't work...

actually, I'm having trouble with my guitar neck. It is a strat american deluxe neck, and it was originally set up for 9 gauge strings, but I played with 10's for the past few months with few adjustments. However, I recently put on 11's, and my intonation went out a bit when I play higher up on the neck, but only on the low E string.

I have no idea how to fix this. I am also worried about not having adjusted the truss rod. Will the heavier strings bend my neck over time? (I plan on working up to 12's, so I'm kinda scared of this happening).

Any suggestions?
are u saying u dont know how to adjust the intonation?

and if ur action seems to be getting too high even tho uve leveled the bridge and adjusted the saddle height then u can relax the neck a little.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I know how to tune the damn thing, but I'm not very experienced with working the truss rod or the saddles.

P.S.- can I join your 13,000 post club, even though my post count is only 2?
Fixing the intonation is pretty easy. Just do a quick google search for "guitar intonation" and you should find a few tutorials. As for the neck, put a capo at the first fret and use your finger to fret the 17th (or where ever the neck meets the body). Measure the relief (gap) around the 6th - 8th fret. If there is a big gap, like over 2mm, then you should tighten the truss rod. If you do need to tighten it, only do very small amounts, 1/8th of a turn at a time should be fine. Check the relief after every turn until the relief is almost gone. You want to leave a little bit of a bow, otherwise you'll run into problems with fret buzz.
Hope this helps.
My Gear:
American Deluxe HSS Strat
Crate GT212
Vintage '66 Fender Champ Amp
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Jekyll & Hyde Ultimate Overdrive
Vintage '74 MXR Script Phase 90
Vintage '77 MXR Flanger
Orange Squeezer (clone)
haha probably not.

if it seems like the heavier gauge is pulling the bridge up. then tighten the screws and or add a spring or two in the back cavity.

if the strings are a little high, then adjust the height wt a small allen wrench.

phils pic

i wouldnt worry about the neck until u level the bridge and adjust the saddles.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 31, 2007,
Well, I already have 4 springs, tightened up nicely. I think the problem is in my saddles though, because it is only affecting that one string.

I'll check it out on google or something.

Thanks for the help, guys! (and girl, Jenny )
if ur saddle wont stay solid. then it's possible the spring inside the intonation screw is too compressed. it lost it's spring and cant hold the saddle still enough to be effective.

a new intonation screw is a few cents. or u could take the sadde intonation screw, spring out and pull it apart a bit, see if u can get it to bounce a little for u.

#2 in pic...
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

For adjusting the intonation, you need a proper tool. You'd need this, (left for vintage fender, right for every other guitar in the world)

Hold firmly with tight grip, then adjust the saddles according to the 12th fretted notes. Like so

Notice that the intonation problem had gone away?
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic