Page 1 of 2
Ello all!

Im wondering which guitar to get as it is nearing the time to get a replacement for my squier strat!

Gibson Faded SG
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_gibson_faded_sg_special_electric_guitar?full_sku=102935921

Gibson VIntage Mahogany LP
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_gibson_les_paul_vintage_mahogany_electric_guitar?full_sku=517536%2e008

I cant decide as they both look nice to me ( cant decide between colors too but Im leaning towards the cherry)
i personally like the sg if all electronics and whatnot are equal. but thats just me. what the hell do i know?
Member of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM Hamish5178 to join~
The Special Ed kid of the bass militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join

Quote by fourstringpunk
She looks like an STD vending machine.
Get the LP. I never really liked SG's. If you're a more heavy player I'd go with the SG though.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
Play them both, its about sound and feel. The sg is going to sound more like your strat. The lp has more depth to the sound. Good luck!
Go to guitar center and talk a SG standard down to like 800.

I walked in about a year ago and saw a big Gibson Box being carried in, asked them what it was, and it was a Gibson SG Standard Heritage Cherry, so I asked if I could play it and after about an hour of playing it I told them I would pay 700 for it and they said 850 and I got it for 850 + tax with a Gibson case and a setup. Wasn't too hard. The ones on the shelf were like 1200 too...
Yeah best advice is too play them if possible but i'd go LP just cause I like those no other reason.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
In my opinion the LP has a ballsier tone to it that I like. The SG is lighter though if you spend alot of time standing up and playing. Play them both then pick the obne that plays better for you.
My Gear:

Jackson RR3 Pro
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender CD140 Acoustic/Electric
Line 5 HD500 effects unit
Marshall MA100

"Grunge was invented for people who can't play solos"
I would personally pick my Epiphone Joe Perry Custom over both. I looked at both of those guitars when i was shopping for a new one. I actually bought a Vintage Mahogany, but then i played a Joe Perry and returned my Vintage Mahogany for a Joe Perry that i bought off Ebay for $500. Great buy. BTW the Joe Perry comes with Gibson Burstbucker 2 and 3's.
Go LP. The SG specials are great guitars, but not the faded specials. They feel like cheap pieces of shit. The specials on the other hand have a nicer feel, better fret work and if you toss a decent pickup in the bridge its a killer guitar.
Do what KissingShadows said. It's very easy to get price cuts on guitars at Guitar Center if you have cash on you.
Ahhh.. didnt know they would go down.. How low iwll they go on the LP?

I think im gonna get the LP as it comes with a hard case.

800 stock so Id guess 750?
The faded series of Gibson are terrible. Honestly, the standard series are too. My SG took about 500 dollars in neck repairs to be playable. I like it none the less.
Rolling Stones October 8th.....hell yea
Sg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:
Quote by malachifivebass
you cant make a male musician choose music or sex, its like asking a fat man twinkie or brownie

Quote by iamnotrabid
Quote by metdethslaythrx
Naomi
it's "I moan" backwards
No, it's I maon.

Phail

I WILL one day rule the world, Pm me with the position you want and Ill see if it is open.
talk down a Les Paul studio if youre lookin to go with an LP.. you can probly talk it down to the same price you would pay for the Vintage, but be getting a hell of a lot better guitar
Proud owner of a Gibby LP Custom and an all-original Vintage '62 Fender Jag

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
They both can play the hard stuff, so it doesn't really look like you're losing out on performance. I'd pick the SG if you like more of a hard rock looking guitar. Personally, I like the Les Paul.
One Love

“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” -Bob Marley
Quote by Pacifica112J
ESP's are nicer than any Gibson in that price range.

agreed^+1
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
i havnt played the SG, but i have played the LP in a puke lime green color, i didnt like it, felt cheap compared to other Gibby lp's. i also didnt care much for the sound, and im assuming the SG will have similar qualities.

so i suggest getting something else.
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Whatever you decide to go with, I strongly suggest you play the guitar before you buy it. I say this only because the Guitar Center that I go to didn't have the vintage LP that you're considering.
niether

but if you must have one goe with the lp its basically the same thing as a studio
but also look into getting a sg standard or a regular les paul well worth waiting for
Screamin: Just exactly.. how do you go about talking down the price?

Just say.. ill give you ??? for it?

and should I start lower than I want?

And GC doesnt have any ESP guitars?
Last edited by SlvrDragon50 at Feb 1, 2007,
try just making an offer on a Studio, and if they say they dont do that, then youre gonna have to do a little work. thoroughly look over the guitar and point out even the slightest things that seem wrong with it, such as light scratches, etc., and then they will be more likely to give you a deal

also, if youre 18, then you can probably put however much you have to spend as a down payment on a Studio. you can pay the extra couple hundred on credit, usually 0% interest

Quote by richwatkinson
Give 10 UGers a rope and ask them to pull. 4 will push, 1 will ask for buttsecks, 2 will tell you get an Ibanez and the last 3 will start complaining about Line6 Spiders.
Nooo!

It just went up 270 dollars on GC's website.. which means its probably 270 more at the store too

Its my dad paying for it so
Quote by Jinskee
agreed^+1

Of course, it wouldn't matter, because I'm being ignored totally.

Oh well, it's his loss.
Quote by SlvrDragon50
I cant find ESPs.. And I dont know which ESPs are good

ESP EC-400

The EC-400 has a set neck, Grover tuners, a mahogany body, and active EMG 81's. And it's only $600, and kills those Gibsons.

ESP EC-1000

EC-1000

EC-1000

The EC-1000 has a mahogany body, flamed maple top, set mahogany neck, Sperzel locking tuners, 24 frets, active EMG's or Seymour Duncan JB/59 set, a Tonepros bridge and tailpiece, and an Earvana nut. $800.

The EC-1000 is what I'd recommend. It's the same price as the Mahogany LP, and it absolutely murders it. And frankly, murders pretty much every Gibson.
Last edited by Pacifica112J at Feb 2, 2007,
Well, Im trying to get a gibson LP studio... But I dunno

Im looking at the EC-1000 and they look pretty good
Quote by SlvrDragon50
Well, Im trying to get a gibson LP studio... But I dunno

Im looking at the EC-1000 and they look pretty good

I'm telling you, bud. Once you get past the fact that it's an ESP, and not a Gibson, you'll realize it's the better deal by far.

I mean, the EC is so far ahead of the Studio that it's unreal. That, and it's about $200 less.

If you're dead set on having a Gibson, buy it. But the EC is going to be the better deal by far.

And this is all coming from a former die hard Gibson fanboy.
the EC-1000 is a great guitar; my friend has one and its amazing

if youd prefer a Les Paul and are willing to cash out for it, you might look into the Epiphone elitist series.. they put the studio to SHAME.. i think theyre around $1100, which might be more than youre spending, but its an idea, nonetheless

Quote by richwatkinson
I just read some reviews at Harmony Central and wooooooahhh...

ESP EC-1000 blew away the LP STudio ratings..

I think ill get the EC-1000 but the problem is.... I want SEymour Duncans on a guitar that comes with EMGs
Quote by SlvrDragon50
I just read some reviews at Harmony Central and wooooooahhh...

ESP EC-1000 blew away the LP STudio ratings..

I think ill get the EC-1000 but the problem is.... I want SEymour Duncans on a guitar that comes with EMGs

What do you mean? You like one of the EMG equipped models, but you'd rather it came with Duncans?

That's really an easily fixable problem. Those EMG's could fetch a nice amount of money if you decide to pull them out and sell them. I'm estimating about $100 for the both of them. Duncans are about $70 a piece, so you'd end up shelling out roughly $40 out of your pocket after you sold the EMG's. And still, you'd have spent a lot less than you would have on a Studio.
Page 1 of 2