Well I've been playing acoustic guitar for a year and half and electric for a year. So it's been two and a half years playing guitar. And I want to learn some new techniques from this site like how can you set up the sound on your amp to make your guitar sound differently like Heavy Metal, Rock, Blues etc. All I know is how to make it sound grungy. Anyway I've recently been learning to play riffs like Sweet Child O'Mine, Satisfaction, Riders on the Storm, Day Tripper, Paradise City, Heartbreaker, Hotel California, Storm on the Water. I can play Highway to Hell, Pinball Wizard, A Day in the Life, Helter Skelter, Revolution, Any Nirvana and Green Day song, Back in the USSR, Street Fighting Man, House of the Rising Sun, the intro to Purple Haze, Master of Puppets and Won't Get Fooled Again. I can't do any solos other than Highway to Hell and right now I'm learning the first solo in Bohemian Rhapsody and Whole Lotta Rosie. And on an offtopic note I have been into music since I was 7 when I took piano lessons for four years and know the basics of playing piano, I can also play Ukulele, Violen, Bass, Drums, Mandolin. But I love the electric guitar most. I use an Ibanez Gax75 with a Kustom 75 Watt Amp. So what are some songs that I should learn next?
There's no point in asking someone else if they think you're good. Check the Ultimate Settings thread in Guitar Gear and Accessories for different amp settings. As far as what you should be playing, try some Jimi Hendrix like Hey Joe, and Castles Made of Sand tunes of Led Zeppelin stuff.
Pshh
when you don't need to know, that's when you're getting there.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
We don't know... do you play them well? Post a video or clip...

Adam
Quote by thesublime
duarte, you're a jerk.

Quote by Ollie Led Zep
Hmm...a fugly, bimbo, blonde, rich, boring, mooching, waste of blood and organs, d*ck munching, talentless, sponging c*nt in prison?

One down...
Those are things that you teach a beginner to get them to play the guitar correctly. Half those songs I learned in my first few weeks. But you have the idea, and as long as you're tabbing songs yourself you're going to progress quickly.
I can't really post a clip or video as I don't have the technology for that. But I'm being honest and it took me several hours just to get partway through the bohemian rhapsody solo and the riff to sweet child of mine.
No, you want people to go, "OMG YOUR SO GOOD", but Im not, because your not. While its great you can play numerous songs, merely regurgitating other peoples songs does not equal talent, you need to have some basic understanding of music, which from your post, I gather you do not have. Play for yourself, not so you can brag on an internet forum.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
because your not. learn some dream theater or necrophagist, if you can play that shit, then your good.
Ok, what's a good Dream Theater song to learn on guitar? I don't know Necrophagist.
look man any one can come here and post all the things they can play and how long they have been playing but it dosnt mean crap. By reading what you said we cant tell if you have a goo techinque, if you play sloply, if you are bad at fretting, if you are on time, if you can keep a beat, etc.
post a video of you playing and we can give you a ball park figure of your skill, other wise dont even bother. a picture says a thousand words, a video shows a thousand pictures.
Ok, my guitar teacher says I have great timing but need to work on chord progression with barre chords/power chords. And I don't have the technology to post a video. I might send a sound clip I guess...
Quote by metalhead296
because your not. learn some dream theater or necrophagist, if you can play that shit, then your good.

That's bullshit. You don't need to know super complicated technical music to be a great guitar player. Seriously, might as well say David Gilmoure is a terrible guitar player since there was nothing of his I couldn't play after 6 months of playing guitar.

Either way, nobody can tell you what we think of your skill, without actually hearing you play.
Also I thinking of upgrading my Ibanez.Any good Guitar brands for beginners?
Quote by Polaroid
Ok, my guitar teacher says I have great timing but need to work on chord progression with barre chords/power chords. And I don't have the technology to post a video. I might send a sound clip I guess...

dont forget he is getting paid for the progress of your guitar skill. he might stretch the truth just so you and your paying parents will think he is doing a good job at teaching you to play the guitar

Quote by Polaroid

ok ibenez is a good guitar brand, and it is for beginners and intermeadiate players, so why would you want to upgrade if you are a beginner?
Eh. Forget Dream Theater then. I'm thinking of learning some Eric Clapton songs. Any suggestions for a beginner?
Quote by Polaroid
Eh. Forget Dream Theater then. I'm thinking of learning some Eric Clapton songs. Any suggestions for a beginner?

if you are a beginner i doubt you can play any clapton.
post somthing of you playing so i can hear to see if your good
Quote by Invictious
Wha...? Ask the local guitar shop for servicing?
They are ugly and bastards there though...
£30

That's outrageous.
Their penis is small too, and I am not that desperate
No thanks.
Quote by Polaroid

Ibanez isn't a great guitar for the type of songs you seem to be into. It's really a shred guitar, because if their tiny necks, super low action, fret number, etc. etc. You should be buying something that'll be worth all you're spending. I don't suggest you spend over maybe 300 or 400 until you're a little better.
ok, I've been thinking of a fender stratocaster as a High School graduation present which will be five months from now.
Quote by Polaroid
Well I don't

well then you really arent a beginner, you are more of an intermeadiate player. Dont ask us what songs are good songs to play, through in a clapton record and when there is songs that catches your ear, and you like the sound of go learn to play it. Its thats simple, just learn the songs you like to listen to, dont go with what some one else said on the internet just cause they said they like a perticular song. If the song you want to play is too hard for you, skip it and come back to it a couple of weeks later, you will be surprised how much you have improved with in a few weeks
lol he's probably just talking about the intro to layla. Again, it's a beginner's tune.
^ lol. But yeah, we need vids to tell you what to do to progress.
Last edited by CWeavr at Mar 1, 2007,
i learned hotel california like 7 months ago, so i had been playing about a year then
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
^that's a pretty good song for a beginning/intermediate guitarist
WTF - You've been playing 2 1/2 years and consider yourself a beginner?? Progression with power chords? Either you are making this stuff up or you maybe the guitar is not for you. You should be fairly proficient at both of these after 2 1/2 yrs.
Quote by icronic
That's bullshit. You don't need to know super complicated technical music to be a great guitar player. Seriously, might as well say David Gilmoure is a terrible guitar player since there was nothing of his I couldn't play after 6 months of playing guitar.
Either way, nobody can tell you what we think of your skill, without actually hearing you play.

You could play every Gilmoure's song after 6 months of playing guitar?

Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!