i asked my dad if he'd order me a valve junior, since it seems to be so well loved, i'm attracted to it. i tried to make him agree more with its cheap price and ability to be modded, which he's big on.

he told me that amps like that are a waste of time because they buzz and make noise, which i disagree.
he's suggesting i build one myself using a schematic and a breadboard.

i don't know jack about building/soldering/electric currents...

any advice, websites, etc that'll help me not die?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Jan 31, 2007,
1. Do your research. Learn how to discharge caps (important if you don't want to die).
2. Look at kits. They will be easier for the first time builder.
3. Make sure you understand WHY and HOW something works before you start building.
4. Find somebody with a good background in electronics who can help you if something goes wrong.
5. Post pics. And possibly soundclips.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
hm the why and how thing is why he won't let me get a tube amp until i understand the concept. i'm more occupied with the 'tube amps sound godly' aspect, and the being able to build/mod them is a side thing.

but yeah, he's getting me a kit and he'll walk me through it since he's a genius in electronics (bell labs - invented the modern mic).

and yeah, i'll definitely post some pics and soundclips if i'm not dead.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

oh jeeze... i'll let him know.

gahhh i just wanna play through it
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Tell your father to look here and see what I say. If he doesnt trust my information, tell him to check my successful amp build thread.

Heres my advice to him: He should get the Valve Junior for you. You can learn a lot from this amp because of all of the mods around. Theres so many things you can do to change the sound of that amp, and its prebuilt so you can do little changes to have fun and understand it. Have your father also check out my Modded VJ thread in my sig. I did some mods and people say that theres some good info in there.

EDIT: Also, modding the VJ will introduce you to this stuff so that you can build an amp in the future. Yes, I would be WAY excited if my father told me he was getting me the parts to build an amp, but thats just because I love this stuff and I already understand it all.

Kerry
Last edited by call1800ksmyazz at Jan 31, 2007,
ahahah okay thanks for that. hopefully he'll have a change of heart *crosses fingers*
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

yesssss, got my valve junior today...

okay lets start modding... haah.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by UnsignedRecords
yesssss, got my valve junior today...

okay lets start modding... haah.

Before you do anything, make sure you understand the practice of discharging capacitors and other high voltage safety. You might want to start off with the easier mods, make sure they work, and then move onto the harder stuff. Before you do anything, make sure you read over it 5 or 6 times so you can do it without having to refer to instructions, but always have them handy too for reference
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Quote by the_random_hero

Before you do anything, make sure you understand the practice of discharging capacitors and other high voltage safety. You might want to start off with the easier mods, make sure they work, and then move onto the harder stuff. Before you do anything, make sure you read over it 5 or 6 times so you can do it without having to refer to instructions, but always have them handy too for reference

yeah i see it can be pretty dangerous. any sites you could recommend for an easy start?
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Kerry's Valve junior mods might have some linkies
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Yea, check my thread, and heres some more:

www.valvejunior.com (nice site with forum at bottom. At very bottom theres a bunch more links).
www.18watt.com

Do one mod at a time, then test out the amp to make sure it works correctly. Make sure to update us with pictures and problems.
Quote by call1800ksmyazz
Yea, check my thread, and heres some more:

www.valvejunior.com (nice site with forum at bottom. At very bottom theres a bunch more links).
www.18watt.com

Do one mod at a time, then test out the amp to make sure it works correctly. Make sure to update us with pictures and problems.

oh i will. it might be a little while, since my dad doesn't know my got it for me

and i've been looking at your thread for a while, but i'm illiterate to the schematics haah.

but i'll be back.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Feb 8, 2007,
It's probrably been said before, but building your own shit is the most rewarding experience i've had yet. each amp I build is my own. there's something about hours of hard work to create a masterpiece that is unmatchable. try it, but research and be very very careful around tube voltages
ah yeah i can imagine. yeah i'm taking this one slow...
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.