I have been playing my strat alot latley and im like it more and more. I have been play blues and jazz with it and im wondering if s strat could be used for metal. By do things like puting a bareknuckle mircle man in the bridge, how would that sound? and putting a floyd rose on it. So can Fender do a good metal sound?
I know that one of Maidens guitar player use em i think sepultura to.So it could do realy high gain like Pantera and stuff. Im saving for a Engl Powerball so it could?
Quote by Shine On...
A Double Humbucker Tele, with Coil Tap can do anything!

Except sound like a Tele...
Watch Metallica's One video.
Basically a strat with EMG's.

And, even though I dislike this band, Slipknot guitarist James Root plays a Fender Telecaster with dual EMG 81's.

:]
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
Quote by chase312

And, even though I dislike this band, Slipknot guitarist James Root plays a Fender Telecaster with dual EMG 81's.

Yeah, but naming modded or "non-true" Fenders is pointless. You could put a fretboard, hardware and electronics on a pitchfork and play metal on it. The question is vague enough as it is- no need to blur the lines of what constitutes a Fender guitar. Telecasters with EMGs aren't what most people think of when they hear the name Fender.
A strat can do anything

Even the standard single coils can do metal, especially for lead playing the neck pickup plus searing high gain = heaven.
But strats are routed as HSH right? So changing the pickguard, you could get an HSH pickup setup right?
I love my strat,its so versatile...I honestly play everything on it,the cleans are like sex but with a nice pedal to dirty things up and switching to the 2nd position on the switch,all the metal you need.And thats with the stock pickups.

go for it.
Throw some big strings and a couple of hot rails on a strat and you have yourself an excellent metal guitar, it's as easy as that.
With humbuckers, there's no reason one can't use a strat for metal. Back in the day, I played strats all the time, and I played a lot of shit like Slayer, Metallica, Pantera, and of course, my own stuff totally influenced by 80s thrash. My strats never let me down...

And check this out. This song was recorded using a stock 7-string Squier Strat...

http://www.myspace.com/rozeahaven

They CAN do metal very easily.

Quote by chase312

Bringing up a guitar used in a video is a bit pointless. You do realize that Hammett probably didn't record that song using a strat, but most likely using one of his humbucker-equipped guitars (most likely his Jackson V that was his main axe before the switch to ESP). He more than likely just used it to shoot the video. Think this dude used a banjo to record this song because he used one in the video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IboQlzGIXBw
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Quote by chase312

Kirk is using an ESP in that video, though, not a Fender.

However, yes, Fenders can be used for Metal, as they're made of alder. Jackson, as well as a fair few other companies use alder to make their guitars, all that would be needed is a pick-up change.
You just need a good amp which is for metal like line6 marshall or mesa if u can t get any of that get a OK amp and get a good effects pedal, Iron Maiden guitarists use fenders

Gear

Ibanez Prestige 2550E
Ibanez RGT6EXFX limited edition
Line 5 150w Spider 3
Zoom G7.1ut Effects console
I wouldn't exactly call Line 6 "a good metal amp", and you don't have to put your gear in every post you make. Just put it in your sig.
Quote by chase312

Possibly at one time, but I think he actually plays a Charvel Tele knock off, and Charvels are metal. BUT, the newest highway one strats with the hum at the bridge is a complete wrecking force plugged into my Traynor. Fenders can do metal.
Yeah, definitely. You don't need humbuckers to get a fat metal sound, it just helps. Infact, playing metal with a Strat or Tele could help you get a distinctive tone of your own.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
There have been a ton of metal songs with "strats", whether Fender, ESP, Kramer, or whatever. Jake E Lee comes to mind as well as Maiden (see Maiden signature strat).
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
I DONT care what the hell you say !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
single coils cant play metal
Quote by m.o.d.---
I DONT care what the hell you say !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111
single coils cant play metal

dont tell iron maiden that.
Quote by Arlabester
dont tell iron maiden that.

There's going to be alot of metal acts from the 80's that are shocked by the revelation that you can't play metal with single coils...
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay