I had a practice today with a metal group, and we're gonna be doing some shows soon. The practice was a bit of a rude awakening as far as being a metal bassist, cuz I'm not a metal bassist by any stretch of the imagination. I'm just helping some friends play some shows until they find a bassist.
Anyway, I quickly figured out why 99% of metal bassists don't use old, dead flatwound strings (with the exception of Steve Harris, but he uses fresh ones). For these shows, I'm gonna switch to roundwounds temporarily, but I still want a big bassy, beefy kick. I was thinking of trying out whatever strings Cliff used, but I don't know what they are. Does anyone know what he had? If I can't find out I'm just gonna buy Hybrid Slinkies like I used to use, but I wanna give his a test. Thanks a lot!
"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny." -Bender Bending Rodriguez
Cliff Burton grew his pubes, then wound his own strings. Thats how he gets his signature tone.
LOL ^ Applehead, nice constructive information there.

Anyway mountaindew88, I would consider myself a mainly Metal bassist, and I know what you getting at about needing a strong aggressive tone (my mate thats a guitarist play soooo bloody loud all the time).

And I would recommend DR strings ....... yeah they rule as far as I'm concerned, but they cost a bit and you can try either the Hi-Beams - which are supposed to be bright and punchy or the Low-Riders (I currently have these) - more low end punch. I have tried a few Ernie Ball strings to and they are pretty good, especially for Metal/Hard Rock type sound, and they are reasonably priced.
Quote by Kepulix
I love the sound of doom in the morning, it sounds like... victory
Last edited by Monkey_Bassist at Feb 1, 2007,