I've been playing for 2 and a half years now, and I feel that I am a pretty good guitarist. I'm not a shredder and I really just enjoy to play the songs that just sound nice. I love the Chili Peppers and Sublime and also play some Hendrix. I've learned so many songs but I can't really remember them all lol! Anyways my main question is this...I've been going to lessons for my whole guitar career, and me and my teacher started off with theory but then have just been learning songs. I'm kind of getting worried now because I see so much talk on this forum about all of the theory involved. From what I think, theory is important and I should start learning more about everything. What do you guys think?
One Love

“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” -Bob Marley
Yeah, when you get the notes of the fretboard down it lets you apply the theory, so I would learn that first and foremost.
do you ever write your own stuff, or do you aspire to? if so you gotta get the thory
Id so to learn scales. With learning lots of scales, you can apply that to everything.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
One day, I wanna make my own songs and solos. So basically you guys are saying I should start off with just get to know all the notes and chords?
One Love

“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” -Bob Marley
My teacher only showed me how to play the guitar, he done techniques with me and helped me with key findind the rest he left up to me, insted of sitting there with a neck chart i would go through each note that sounded good with music and then used the techniques he thought me to solo over backing, music then i added my stuff and im still learning things today, ive been playing 8 years.
member #3 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join

Gibson Les Paul Std Trans Amber
Gibson Les Paul Std P90 Gold top
Gibson Les Paul 1968 Custom V.O.S.
1980 Chiquita Travel Guitar
Fender 2006 Anniversary
Ashdown Fallen Angel stack.
No dont learn theory its a waste of time
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
olol shredlet.

The possibilities on the guitar is endless....with the knowledge of theory!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I th ink once you start to delve in impovising and soloing, learning theory is simply a step towards that process, you have to learn scales as a base for building a soloing technique. As for the rest you will have to learn about keys and such if you want to compose.

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
i say dont worry, you can study music all your life but truly great music comes from the heart.

As long as you have some idea about what your doing youll be fine

however in a contradiction to what i just said, being able to read music really helps alot.
Quote by Jinskee
olol shredlet.

So true

I would suggest it to everyone to at least attempt learning simple theory, it will help you unlock the fretboard.
Quote by Jinskee
olol shredlet.

+10000000000
Se habla español

Quote by pinheadslts75
People come up with the dumbest names for sexual acts. And the most disgusting concepts for sexual acts.

I'm tempted to report this thread because of how weird this is getting.

I saw x/taluha get her clock