Poll: should i upgrade a piece of crap?
Poll Options
View poll results: should i upgrade a piece of crap?
Yes
14 67%
No
7 33%
Voters: 21.
im starting to have second thoughts about customizing my behringer strat
I specifically want to do a new paint job and add some extra "Gizmos" on to the elctronics

my behringer strat is made of ply wood its probably worth about 50 bucks

it was my first guitar, and i do plan on keeping it forever, but i dont know if its even worth upgrading...

wat do you guys think?
since it was made out of plywood, probably not. If it was made out of solid wood, I would as long as the action was good on it.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
I'm 'upgrading' a shitty plywood guitar. It's good fun and if you just crank some high gain pickups through it the tone of the wood shouldn't matter. That's my plan anyway. I only did it for something to do though. Not to make an awesome guitar.

I vote yes anyway.
Use it to practise with. If you **** it up, whatever, it's only 50 bucks. If you do well, you can transfer the parts and what you learned to a better guitar.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus
Use it to practise with. If you **** it up, whatever, it's only 50 bucks. If you do well, you can transfer the parts and what you learned to a better guitar.

thats true
....hmm you starting to reconvince me will
And if you get a better strat, you can just lift the pickguard off the behringer and put it onto the new guitar.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by ashesofthewake
show me a pic, i might have the same one.

I upgraded twice though

its that cheap black behringer strat you get in the pack for like $100
its probably the lowest end guitar ever...
I wouldn't chemically strip any guitar. Can't be good for wood. If you are gonna sand it back it really doesn't take long withan orbitalsander as long as you're careful to 'protect' the curves. Or you can just sand it to be rough so paint will go over the top of the old paint. Just make sure you prime it well, whatever way you decide.
I just did it by hand but I heard someone on here said the put something on a drill with sandpaper around it and used that.

The horns usually don't have a huge amount of paint on them like the flat parts anyway. Because they're all curvy the paint doesn't tend to build up as much.
Chemical stripping works great on some finishes (nitrocellulose in my experience), but I don't think there's a good one for polyurethane, which is what most mass produced guitars use as a finish.

The heat gun method is super lethal to the poly, but difficult to get the right touch with. It takes some practice. I tried stripping a guitar and it ended up pretty burned in spots and not all the paint would come off leaving it kinda lumpy. I'm sure with practice you could get excellent results though.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.