Say I were to write a song in the Key of C Major with the A Aeolian mode(I doubt I worded that correctly; please correct me).

Would all of the notes in the song be comprised of these notes?

e|--------------------------------5--------------------|
B|------------------------5-6-8------------------------|
G|----------------4-5-7--------------------------------|
D|-----------5-7---------------------------------------|
A|---5-7-8---------------------------------------------|
E|8----------------------------------------------------|

Also, could you make an example of a riff in this key?

I'm basically helpless...help me...
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Shock Horror!! Just be patient, its a forum.

To answer your question, yes, the notes would be (but not limited to, be creative) A B C D E F G. And A Aeloian is in the key of A minor.

Try to make your own riff.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Those are some of the "frets" you could use but all of the notes. You can move up and down the fretboard at will as long as you use the notes A, B, C, D ,E, F, and G.
Quote by Ænimus Prime
Shock Horror!! Just be patient, its a forum.

To answer your question, yes, the notes would be (but not limited to, be creative) A B C D E F G. And A Aeloian is in the key of A minor.

Try to make your own riff.

What he means is use accidentals to change the key or feeling of the riff. Play most of it in C major, then maybe a bit in G or D major (purely because they have one and two more sharps respectively) for a bridge. Or simply throw in a Flat on the seventh degree (the B) for a dom7 chord, and a bit of the blues.
Quote by Robbie n strat
In the changing rooms we'd all jump around so our dicks and balls bounced all over the place, which we found hilarious.

Little children should be felt, not heard.
To add on to what the others have said, you're in the key of A natural minor.
Your Majesty | All Lyrics/Melody/Piano/Guitar parts written by me. Please have a listen.
I know A Aeolian isn't in the Key of C Major. But, it's connected to it somehow, isn't it? I'm still confused. Gah.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
I know A Aeolian isn't in the Key of C Major. But, it's connected to it somehow, isn't it? I'm still confused. Gah.
A Aeolian is the sixth mode of C major. It is often called the relative minor.

While the two keys contain the same notes, they are in fact different. Obviously, there is no difference in key signature, but the order of notes and the intervals are different in the two scales.

By the way, the song is not really in the key of A Natural Minor (Aeolian) since a mode is not a key. This isn't a big deal since natural minor is just regular minor, but it does make a difference when you use scales such as A Dorian and A Harmonic Minor.
The main notes would be the ones you listed, but don't be afraid to go out of key to change the sound of the song. Some of my favorite songs are ones that go out of key.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
A Aeolian is the sixth mode of C major. It is often called the relative minor.

While the two keys contain the same notes, they are in fact different. Obviously, there is no difference in key signature, but the order of notes and the intervals are different in the two scales.

By the way, the song is not really in the key of A Natural Minor (Aeolian) since a mode is not a key. This isn't a big deal since natural minor is just regular minor, but it does make a difference when you use scales such as A Dorian and A Harmonic Minor.

So, what key would it be in? And, what you're saying is that any fret that is either a C, D, E, F, G, A, or B would be able to go into the song without going out of key?
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.

Quote by Haha, Crackhead
So, what key would it be in?
A minor. Nothing more.

Quote by Haha, Crackhead
And, what you're saying is that any fret that is either a C, D, E, F, G, A, or B would be able to go into the song without going out of key?
Yes.
All right. Thank you. I think I've got it now.
Click for charity.

PM Calebrocker to join.