I think that this may be the right place to put this thread, if not then please close it.

I'm buying a Schecter Hellraiser Avenger for all of my heavily detuned Death Metal needs (think Nile and Newer Cannibal Corpse). I want to get it set up with a gauge string that will maintain string tension comparable to that of 10's in standard tuning. Considering that Nile plays in drop A and Cannibal Corpse play in drop G# or A and I also would be using it for as high as drop C (I'll use my Carvin for drop D or Higher), what gauge should I get?

Btw I used the search button but this specific issue was never addressed to my satisfaction.
Honestly I'd go with a 7 string, go a full step down, .009-.060 strings. That's some thick chunky bottom end.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Quote by Mudder
Honestly I'd go with a 7 string, go a full step down, .009-.060 strings. That's some thick chunky bottom end.

Yeah I know that a baritone or a 7 string would be a viable solution but I really don't feel comfortable playing them and this Schecter feels so natural for me.
Quote by Mudder

9's are too light for drop tuning. 12's-13's work better. If your gauges are too low then you'll be playing rubber bands.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Quote by Generalpwnt
9's are too light for drop tuning. 12's-13's work better. If your gauges are too low then you'll be playing rubber bands.

Yeah and seeing how I play 10's in standard tuning I definitely don't like wobbly strings. I'll try out 12's and if that isn't good enough I'll go up to 13's. Thanks guys.
Ok ok, here we go.

I use 11-52's standard, and 12-54's for drop Db anyhting lower youahve to go up aother set, so for drop C I use 12-56, anyhting lower I go up to a 13-60

Now for a person who uses, 10-(48's) I would suggest putting a set as follows,

12-54 for drop C and for drop A go up to the 13-60's
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
i really dont think .13s could suit that low of tuning.
i have .13s on mine for standard, seldomly i tune it down to A or some other low tunign for some licks & it doesnt feel/sound right.
but you should try it out just incase.
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Ummm I use them for it because they dont get loose, flabby, and maitain their punc now anyhting heavier ad it wont resemble the tes he uses normally.
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Quote by TinTin8
i really dont think .13s could suit that low of tuning.
i have .13s on mine for standard, seldomly i tune it down to A or some other low tunign for some licks & it doesnt feel/sound right.
but you should try it out just incase.

13's for standard isn't easy for most people. Considering the fact that he uses 10's in standard, he should try 12's or 13's in dropped tunings.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
thank you ^^
Mail Goes here.

Quote by Generalpwnt
13's for standard isn't easy for most people. Considering the fact that he uses 10's in standard, he should try 12's or 13's in dropped tunings.

yeah i know its not. but the strings feel too loose imo in a very low tuning
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
If your playing 13's in standrd, for a drop tuning you would have to go toa 15-68 set to get the same tention...
Mail Goes here.