Someone i know offered me this fender mexico 2004, for very cheap...

When i saw the Serial Number... it appears right bellow the N of Fender while ussually it goes under the E of fender...

Ive never seen this kinda Serila Number... could it be a Fake Fender?

Should i buy it? How to tell when its fake? even if the sound is good... how to tell??

The SN is MZ4426392

Any suggestion?
Attachments:
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Epiphone G400
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss Me 50
Boss Dr 660
Boss OS 2
Last edited by dpsource at Feb 1, 2007,
Here, some more pictures... plz help me, tell me if it is original

Epiphone G400
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss Me 50
Boss Dr 660
Boss OS 2
I dont think it is because the thing on the back that you stick the strings through(no idea what it is called) doesn't look like a fenders. play it and see if it is nice first, because Name doesnt mean a thing.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Last edited by CORT noob at Feb 1, 2007,
Yes, thats what a thought... even if it sound like a fender, is there any other way to check is it is authentic or not?
Epiphone G400
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss Me 50
Boss Dr 660
Boss OS 2
ok, i will... any more suggestions?
Epiphone G400
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss Me 50
Boss Dr 660
Boss OS 2
Strictly speaking on a serial number standpoint it is valid.

You can check it using this site
http://www.guitardaterproject.org/fender.aspx

However, That doesn't mean that the neck wasn't put onto a crap body.
-Roy

My Gear
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Some cruddy classical that my parents bought off ebay for like 40 bucks.
Well if I had to guess, I would say that it's not a Fender.

Reasons:

The trem plate in the back looks different from a real Fender, but thats easily changed.

The string trees look like chineeze Strat string trees. I know cuz I am holdin one in my hand and its identical to your pic. MY Fender Strat has only ONE string tree. This too is easily changed.

From the pic, I can't see any skunk stripe. As far as I know all Fender Strats have this. I'm not sure tho.

Back to the trem plate again. The center screw holes on the top and bottom on MY Fender Strat are not aligned. The center holes on MY Chineeeze Strat are aligned. From the pic it looks like your center holes are like my China Strat.

The hole where the truss rod is located looks different from MY Fender Strat. My Fender has a black tube lining the truss rod hole, my china Strat has no tube just like the guitar in your pic.

You can also weigh it. My Fender Strat is about 8 pounds. I have 2 china Strats, their weight is 5.5 and 6.5 pounds.

I'm NOT a Fender expert, I am just comparing your pics to my guitars. Hopefully a Strat expert will tell you for sure but I dont this its a Fender.

OH yeah whats the price on this guitar.
Yes, thanks all for helping... i think is a fake to... also, hes selling it for 100 bucks... cant be original :S
Epiphone G400
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss Me 50
Boss Dr 660
Boss OS 2
well the body is plywood for starters, you can tell because the back contour is all black (you could see the plywood if it wasn't )
Looked decent till I looked closer at the back picture... That looks extremely fake. Though if its cheap and it sounds good? Well whose gotta know!
from a mile away you can tell from the body, it doesnt look like a mexican strat nor any other strat other than rip offs. Usually down the back of the neck their the truss rod outline in different wood. thats not their. and then theirs nothing on the neck plate... so fake.
My bet is someone bought a cheap guitar off of ebay or something and then sanded down the headstock and put their own custom fender logo on it.

Regardless, if it plays and sounds good, buy it for the $100.
doesn't look right to me. the thing in noticed first was the way the strings are not paralell to each other between the nut and the tuners, they are on fenders.
I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
theres nothing on the neck plate either. most fenders have a stamp there as far as i know

and it certainly isn't a fender finish, its way too crappy a sunburst
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by vanzant38
The string trees look like chineeze Strat string trees. I know cuz I am holdin one in my hand and its identical to your pic. MY Fender Strat has only ONE string tree. This too is easily changed.

At some point during the CBS years (late sixties, I believe) Fender started putting two string trees on their guitars.

From the pic, I can't see any skunk stripe. As far as I know all Fender Strats have this. I'm not sure tho.

The skunk stripe is only needed when the neck is one-piece and the trussrod is installed from the back. With a separate fingerboard, the trussrod can be installed from the front (and the fingerboard glued on top of it), so the skunk stripe isn't necessary. I'm not sure if there's any consistency about this in Fender's current line-up, but generally a rosewood neck and maple fingerboard combo means no skunk stripe.
It doesn't look authentic from the pics for many of the reasons others described. But in the end, if you like the way the guitar sounds and plays, I hardly thing $100 is a rip-off. However, for $100, I'd buy this as a backup or something. I wouldn't play it as my main guitar.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
Pretty fake looking.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
I just checked up the serial number, - it seems like a legit serial number of a MiM Fender Strat from 2004-2005. But the actual guitar just doesn't seem legit for a Fender. But if it plays well, and you like it, get it.

Edit: That is definately not authentic. Look at the shape of the headstock. It's too round.

http://img284.imageshack.us/img284/2340/dsc006997lv.jpg - That is a MiM Start headstock. Now look at yours. See the difference? Yours is far too rounded. Still though, if you like it, get it. $100 ain't too bad.
Last edited by AdamDK at Feb 1, 2007,
No, it's fake. Looks at the body shape, I don't know if anyone else noticed, but it doesn't look quite right. Neither does the "Stratocaster" on the headstock.
Its a lot like my china squier. Looks to have just had a decal change. For $100? Yeah, thats still ok. I'd stil buy it if it felt and sounded ok. You can never have too many guitars.
If you like it, offer him $60 for it. I bought my 2 China strats for $47 and $53, both being real wood not plywood. What kind of wood??? Who knows?
The C-shaped curve is wrong,no skunk line,serial no. on front?, the trem cover plats wrong and lasty,get ur self a proper wire cutter
many MIA strats have two stringtrees, including mine. also, as said by one of the posts above, skunk stripes are only present on one piece maple necks. the stripe is not necessary on necks with rosewood fingerboards as the truss rod is fitted in place on the front of the neck before the fingerboard is glued in.
- Jimi Hendrix
Yep, I tried to explain that several of these "signs" that people have mentioned are hardly any indicator as to whether a guitar is a genuine Fender.
Ditto to the guy who mentioned the headstock shape - this has changed on the Strats like a dozen times. Nowadays the shape is copyrighted anyway so only Fender and licensed manufacturers can use it.
Quote by indrek13
Yep, I tried to explain that several of these "signs" that people have mentioned are hardly any indicator as to whether a guitar is a genuine Fender.
Ditto to the guy who mentioned the headstock shape - this has changed on the Strats like a dozen times. Nowadays the shape is copyrighted anyway so only Fender and licensed manufacturers can use it.

True, but that body shape just isn't right for a Fender. Headstocks, logos, etc change often. But the shape of the body is essentially the same as when the Strat was first created. And this one doesn't look right at all.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Like stated, it doesn't look quite right, but if it plays nice and sounds alright, then $100 is good, just make a lower offer.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by dr_john
many MIA strats have two stringtrees, including mine. also, as said by one of the posts above, skunk stripes are only present on one piece maple necks. the stripe is not necessary on necks with rosewood fingerboards as the truss rod is fitted in place on the front of the neck before the fingerboard is glued in.
My mexican strat has a rosewood fingerboard and also has the skunk stripe. Is this uncommon?
My old MIM had rosewood and stripe as well.

Look at a pic of a real fender strat, comparing the two and the decal on the headstock no its either a squier with a decal change, a one off model or another no name brand with a decal change.
I'd say off-model. Squier bodies are pretty close to the real thing in terms of size and shape. This thing is way off... too elongated. And the upper cutaway really doesn't look right.

Yeah that looks fake, the shape of the headstock is a bit dodgy and the body is not as round as a genuine Strat
Quote by Jim85IROC
My mexican strat has a rosewood fingerboard and also has the skunk stripe. Is this uncommon?

don't know, i didn't know that. i read somewhere that rosewood fingerboard models didn't have the stripe. maybe production techniques change from time to time.

- Jimi Hendrix