I was just thinking about how some marshall jcm 800's (if not all, im not sure) only have one channel, is it possible to use the overdrive on the amp (not a distortion pedal) and switch to clean without having to walk up to the amp and change it manually?
"We could only wonder what he would have accomplished is his life hadn't ended so early"

----Randy Rhoads----
Besides rolling your volume waay down..
nope, at least not that I know of..
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
its wouldnt be that hard to do between songs but i was thinking for songs that you have to swich multiple times, it would be a pain to keep running to your amp
"We could only wonder what he would have accomplished is his life hadn't ended so early"

----Randy Rhoads----
not possible
Quote by metalman12
Im gonna upgrade to a marshall mg.

Anyone can be inspired
And practice all day
But its those that are
Inspired each and every day
That achieve success
there are dual channel 800's
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
There are dual channel 800's like SGKIDD said, but people have been saying that they both have VERY different tones when cranked to OD level.

Other than getting the dual channal, nope. It shouldn't discourage you to buy it though, just a quick roll of the finger will get you there.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
or perhaps a multi amp rig, like pair up a JCM800 with a 2X12 or 4X12 , and get a Twin REverb to go with it?
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
ive been offered a 1984 jcm 800 50w with original matching cab, not in the best shape (quite a few tears on it) but it still sounds amazing, new el34's, for $700 from a good family friend.

Ive played it numerous times and i love it, but this little problem is coming up and id liek to be able to swich fairly easily during a song, so i might jus buy a pedal.... any sugg on what pedal would sound good? I'd like the 70-80's hard rock-metal sound: metallica ac/dc, led zep, gnr ect. I rarley play new metal

Thanks guys btw

----Randy Rhoads----
i was thinking about buying another, money is a factor though...

----Randy Rhoads----
Well, just to say. That price is certainly a steal, if it works, get it.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
well yes simply enough get that amp, then save up for a clean amp, even if its only a SS with amzing cleans for cheap? or leave the gain low on the marshal and use a pedal to boost it up but that would be a shame really.

On a side note, My BBE Boosta Grande, is more like an added gain knob at your foot, IT takes my Chnnel two on my Recto, from thick rock/hardrock/almost metal gain to bone crushing insanity with the click of a button, so id imagine that it would do the same with a JCM800.

Try this, Keep the gain low enough that when you lower the volume on your guitar to like 7 or 6 your channel is clean, and then to get havy, roll the volume up for the dirt and add a boost (BBE boota grande man its the best or a Boss BD-2 for added gain controll but coloring your tone a bit) to put you into the level of gain needed?
Mail Goes here.

^Sounds about right

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
hmmm i never thought about that, I might have to run into a store and try that pedal out, thanks man

----Randy Rhoads----
No problem, and one more thing.

I used a Carvin X-100B for a long time, in still own it but as you can imagine with a Mesa Triple Recto, the carvin gets ignored a bit.

However, the Carvin was almost not gainy enough for me at times, so I used a BD-2 to add gain and some volume for leads or chunky rythme tones, however I noticed a drop in my low end and when I rolled the tone back to get that low, the top disappeared.. shame..

So I bought a BBE boosta grande simply on a whim, as it was compared to a SEX drive...

Now IT ahs tru bypass, which is awesome, and it also has one knob... ahhh the simplicity,
its transparent. No lie, just 20db of pure full range BOOM. My low end actually is added to a bit and its literaly like having a gain know on the floor, at zero its matching youa mp gain, and every twist clockwise afte words add more gain and a bit of overall vlume, really fattens up my tone, and honestly doesnt alter it sonicly to my ears bet 80 bucks I ahve ever spent.. accept that one time in Vegas but that was whole different situation..
Mail Goes here.

haha, ya the main thing id probably want is it to be as transparent as possible, i jus heard some sound clips and it sound really good, and cant complain with the price

----Randy Rhoads----
haha nice rig, and I feel you on the debt... If I was to list my gear you would be able to see that my end price spent is in the tens of thousands... yeh debt sucks..

lol anyway back on topic, no the price is super, the pedal rules if it was broken/stolen ect, id buy another one it is the single most important pedal to my tone on the floor.
Mail Goes here.

An A/B switch maybe, just use both outputs from the switch into the 2 inputs on the amp. Not sure how the amp reacts to having 2 leads in at once tho.
Wouldn't that actually jump the gain !!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
an 800 is like "if it aint broke why fix it?" amp

you have one amazing sound, thats it!

you either like it or not.

i do like so many others
Quote by treagar
An A/B switch maybe, just use both outputs from the switch into the 2 inputs on the amp. Not sure how the amp reacts to having 2 leads in at once tho.

thats actually a good idea, i have a jcm 800 and atm im running a behriger bass amp for cleans. i will try that out later tonight and let people know how it goes
My Rig:
Maverick F-1, Ibanez RG1527, Schecter Omen 8
Marshall JVM 410H,
Hand built 4x12 w/ V30s
Current board:
PXL LIVE
TU2
WHAMMY IV
MXR M132
MXR M101
TIMMY
NS2
MXR M108
XOTIC EP
TC DREAMSCAPE
DL8
thats a good idea, but would it change the sound quite a bit if your go from high sensitivity to low sensitivity inputs?

----Randy Rhoads----
Quote by bluespunkmetal
Wouldn't that actually jump the gain !!

Actually..
it will reduce the distortion and responsiveness..
but it will not give you a clean channel type sound...
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
I like using the toggle switch as sort of a "channel switcher", roll the volume back on the neck pick-up and increase the tone
^I always play with tone dimed......

Keep the faith, baby!!
ACtually A good way to improve tone altogether, compltetly remove the tone knobs fromt he circutry in your guitar..

No joke it makes a noticble difference.
Mail Goes here.

Quote by SGKIDD
ACtually A good way to improve tone altogether, compltetly remove the tone knobs fromt he circutry in your guitar..

does removing the tone knobs really make a difference? what kind of difference? would it make a diff with my guitar? (its in my sig)
1993 Jackson Dinky Professional XL (shred)
Modified Squier Strat (blues and anything)
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Dunlop Original Crybaby GCB-95
Yes, It makes a differentce in that, your signal doesnt travel through allt hat wiring, or the tonepots before it hit the jack, less wire=strongersignal/pure-er signal
Mail Goes here.

^True......

That's why I'm planning for a signature guitar..... with just H/S setup and no only 1 volume knob !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by rockerjustin666
ive been offered a 1984 jcm 800 50w with original matching cab, not in the best shape (quite a few tears on it) but it still sounds amazing, new el34's, for $700 from a good family friend.

Ive played it numerous times and i love it, but this little problem is coming up and id liek to be able to swich fairly easily during a song, so i might jus buy a pedal.... any sugg on what pedal would sound good? I'd like the 70-80's hard rock-metal sound: metallica ac/dc, led zep, gnr ect. I rarley play new metal

Thanks guys btw

For the music you're talking about you don't have the cleanest cleans or the sickest gain sounds. So, all you need to do is set the high gain channel to have enough gain for an AC/DC or Zep type lead sound and stick a good overdrive, or booster pedal in front of it. Now you can roll off the volume control on the guitar and get a good cleanish sound, turn it up a bit more for hard rock rhythm or dime the guitar for some leads or step on the pedal to do the more metalish things in your life like the GnR and Metallica. This also lets you step on the pedal and back off the guitar for some tonal variation.

No, an AB switcher to go between the inputs won't work.

Besides the lo gain input on those things is way too low unless you get all your tone from pedals anyway.

Ron
Quote by SGKIDD
Yes, It makes a differentce in that, your signal doesnt travel through allt hat wiring, or the tonepots before it hit the jack, less wire=strongersignal/pure-er signal

so what kind of difference is there in the tone?
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Quote by voxdude26
so what kind of difference is there in the tone?

It makes it clearer and more dynamic. Think of the difference between a mediocre quality audio file and a high quality one.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
it's not just passing thru the extra wiring though. The tone pot allows part of the signal to go to ground as you take it down from 10, your ears hear the high frequencies bleeding off as you turn it down. Even when they are at 10 however, they still pass some signal to ground. The lower the pot value, the more signal can pass. The tone capacitor works to filter the high frequencies. The higher the value, the wider the range of frequencies it will let pass to ground. Just being in the circuit affects the tone becuse it's still allowing some signal to ground.

I guess it depends on the pup how they will sound. I've tried it with a few pups, like the JB, Jazz, PAF, EMG81, stock IBZ, Fender, etc., and I didn't really like the results personally. It made them too bright and harsh sounding IMO, where there was no warmth at all. This is coming from a predominantly metal player too. I think pup makers must design pups with the assumption it will have a tone knob, at least IMO. YMMV obviously.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
so what difference would it make to my guitar (in my sig)?
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT
Boss DS-1 Distortion
Well....

1. Less envlope distortion (due to less electric signal interferrence)
2. Easy access to Tremolo arms....
3. Well, more tone wood...

Keep the faith, baby!!
yeah I use a pedal to boost my jcm 800....i use the satchurator as my boost (but I have the dual channel jcm 800)
My Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Standard | Gibson SG | Casio PG 380 | Dave Mustaine VMNT | Digitech Whammy | Carvin Legacy head |
Carvin V3 combo | MXR Custom Badass Overdrive | Dunlop Jerry Cantrell Wah | Rocktron Banshee | Ibanez PG Flanger
Quote by SGKIDD

I tried this and actually didn't like it.....I understand the drawbacks of a tone knob, but I like having it, because I can change the tone a lot with the tone knob as well as the volume knob (for going clean/overdriven on a one channel amp, I find the tone knob can really help with smoothing out tones when you roll down the volume or back up). When I lost the tone knob, I lost ways to change the sound that sometimes helped me overcome mix problems at a few gigs, or to kind of change the "timbre" of the guitar, if that makes sense.

As for the one channel thing.....you can definitely learn to roll back the volume or switch pedals on/off to get multiple "channels" or boosts out of the Marshall, as others have explained. Also, like others have said, you either love the JCM 800 and what it does and work with it, or you don't. For the money and the sound choice available to you, I'd definitely learn to work with its minor "drawbacks".
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
multi amp setup, or a volume pedal could do the trick
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.