Toots and the maytals rock!!! if you haven't heard them, check them out. If you like them, post about them here. i realize they are a reggae band, but there is no reggae forum, so i figured ska was as close as it gets.
Thier good, bought a box set with nearly all thier albums in, and could listen to them all day!
they are good, one of my favorite reggae bands. what does their name mean?
THIS IS MY SIGNATURE

Well, Toots = Frederick "Toots" Hibbert (the singer) and the Maytals are his backing band. I think Maytal is supposed to be some sort of Jamaican lingo for "good."

One of my favorite bands.

I hate appreciation threads...
Yes! A ska thread that's NOT about Sublime in this forum!

I lurv this band
Quote by CowsWithGuns
I've been busy getting drunk and yelling at endangered species for being pussies. It's a dehydrating job but someone has to do it.
Any "huzzahs" for every other ska band ever doing 'Toots covers a thousand times better than the originals?

...anyone?
Circle that A, motherfucker!
Quote by Warm-And-Fuzzy
Any "huzzahs" for every other ska band ever doing 'Toots covers a thousand times better than the originals?

...anyone?

"Huzzah"

I'm sorry to say it but I always kinda thought Sublime's version of 54-46 was better than the original. Great band though, and a great song.

It's weird this is mixed in with the punk forum.
Last edited by the glue man at Feb 3, 2007,
Quote by the glue man
"Huzzah"

I'm sorry to say it but I always kinda thought Sublime's version of 54-47 was better than the original. Great band though, and a great song.

It's weird this is mixed in with the punk forum.

It's 54-46, is it not? EDIT: Though interestingly, in that Common Rider song, Jesse Michaels does sing 54-47. There's a note bout it in the lyrics book, he says he sang it wrong but left it in cos it was a good take.

Anyways Toots and Co kick arse.
I <3 Peeping Tom
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
Last edited by GreenDayChris at Feb 2, 2007,
I punish myself every day by brandishing myself with a boiling hot iron that reads "IDIOT" for not getting into Toots and the Maytals sooner.

Five fooourr...four six, was my number... =)
Quote by BlackLuster
DisgruntledDuck, I wish there were more people like you in the world.

Quote by Jaimz
You Sir, have my utmost respect

I have Jaimz' utmost respect and BlackLuster wishes that there were more people like me in the world!
great band, I cant believe they're playing live still
WHY DON'T YOU CONSULT EROWID FIRST?
Quote by doggy_hat
It's sad how the love drug is corrupted with so much bullshit
If you listen to the song "Jail Guitar Doors", you can hear Strummer singing "54-46 was my number, right now someone else have that number" in the last chorus.

The Clash also did a pretty good job covering "Pressure Drop".

If you get to see the Maytals live, do it.
They still do the goodies like "54-46", "Pressure Drop" and "Sweet & Dandy".

I begged Toots to do "Never Grow Old", but he said he hasn't performed that live in 30 years.
He still autographed my copy of the Never Grow Old album though and he wrote "One Love" at the bottom (although he spelled it "One Louv")

Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
Quote by johnnynemo
If you listen to the song "Jail Guitar Doors", you can hear Strummer singing "54-46 was my number, right now someone else have that number" in the last chorus.

The Clash also did a pretty good job covering "Pressure Drop".

If you get to see the Maytals live, do it.
They still do the goodies like "54-46", "Pressure Drop" and "Sweet & Dandy".

I begged Toots to do "Never Grow Old", but he said he hasn't performed that live in 30 years.
He still autographed my copy of the Never Grow Old album though and he wrote "One Love" at the bottom (although he spelled it "One Louv")

That is awesome.
I love the Clash version of 'Pressure Drop'. The bit where they like break it down and the guitars crash in at the end of each line is just brilliant.
Super Leeds and Classy Cas!
When I was on vacation two years ago Toots happened to be playing in the same town as where my family and I were vacationing. I was so excited 'cause I thought I was going to see one of my favorite acts in person, but after I'd walked all the way to club I found out the show was 21 and up and I had no way of gaining access.

That was disappointing.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
When I was on vacation two years ago Toots happened to be playing in the same town as where my family and I were vacationing. I was so excited 'cause I thought I was going to see one of my favorite acts in person, but after I'd walked all the way to club I found out the show was 21 and up and I had no way of gaining access.

That was disappointing.

That sucks!

I had the same thing happen to me with a different band.
I was on vacation in Boston and The Cramps were playing at a bar.
Show was 21 and over and I was 15.

I also missed the Dead Boys reunion show, because it was 18 and over, and I was 16 at the time.

Now I can see any show I want, and I can't anything I want to go see.

It makes me feel like God (or the Devil or Tao or whatever) is f*cking with me.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
Quote by johnnynemo

It makes me feel like God (or the Devil or Tao or whatever) is f*cking with me.

How about "the obligatory divine power"?

This band rules.
they are great i love em
from the 10 songs ive heard
Quote by waterproofpie
Sometimes people say they don't like Operation Ivy. Those people are what we call liars.

UG's Premiere Dancelete
Quote by Warm-And-Fuzzy

...anyone?

how can you not like toots and the maytals?
Quote by Prince
how can you not like toots and the maytals?

I did not say that.
I just said if I had a choice between listening to The Specials' version of "Monkey Man" and Toots' version, I'd much rather hear The Specials' version.
^BLASPHEMY!!!! sure the specials cover sounds more polished and radio friendly, but it lacks the soul of the original. i have yet to hear a toots cover that retains the feeling and emotion of the original recording. I've been sick in bed for a week, and i've been playing them on loop for days.
Quote by freedumb
^BLASPHEMY!!!! sure the specials cover sounds more polished and radio friendly, but it lacks the soul of the original. i have yet to hear a toots cover that retains the feeling and emotion of the original recording. I've been sick in bed for a week, and i've been playing them on loop for days.

Both bands have soul, and intensity, (both bands were also on the radio quite a bit), but comparing the ska played by Toots and the Maytals to the ska played by The Specials is flawed for obvious reasons.

In my opinion, I really appreciate what the Specials do with their covers, I love Prince Buster, The Skatalites, Dandy Livingstone, and Lloyd Charmers, but The Specials versions of their songs are just so much better.

I really dig recording albums in empty sheds with dirt floors with only one microphone, and it works well for Toots and The Maytals, and most 1st wave ska bands, but faced with the option to listen to them, or The Specials - The Specials win.

*Note, I'm not saying I don't like 1st Wave ska, it's just The Specials are one of the best bands. Ever.*
^oh i agree. i love the specials, and i'm not trying to put anything against them, they are a great band. i'm just more touched by the original "dirtier" sounds of the skatalites, toots, and the heptones.
Quote by Mr. Skanx
they really are the 2nd greatest reggae band next to bob marley.

lol wut?
Propaganda does not deceive people; it merely helps them to deceive themselves-Eric Hoffer

Quote by GannonBracewell

CBGB wants to be famous like the others such as Green Day and Offspring. They don't want to be a underground punk band.