I have an Ibanez IC400 and I've been wanting to change the pickups on it for quite a while. I've been reading up on seymour duncans but I can't decide what to put in the neck. I'm pretty settled on putting the SH 6 distortion for the bridge, but I've been back and forth between the SH 2 jazz and the SH 6 for the neck as well as other possibilities that I've read about. I want to have that heavy yet clean combo that I'll be able to play really heavy chords/breakdowns as well as quick riffs with limited feedback. I like a bunch of types of music but mostly heavier rock and metal. I have a little beginner's 10 watt practice amp right now but am thinking of upgrading to the Line 6 Spider III 75 or 120 combo amplifier. Any suggestions?
I have an Ibanez IC400 and I've been wanting to change the pickups on it for quite a while. I've been reading up on seymour duncans but I can't decide what to put in the neck. I'm pretty settled on putting the SH 6 distortion for the bridge, but I've been back and forth between the SH 2 jazz and the SH 6 for the neck as well as other possibilities that I've read about. I want to have that heavy yet clean combo that I'll be able to play really heavy chords/breakdowns as well as quick riffs with limited feedback. I like a bunch of types of music but mostly heavier rock and metal. I have a little beginner's 10 watt practice amp right now but am thinking of upgrading to the Line 6 Spider III 75 or 120 combo amplifier. Any suggestions?

Pickups won't make any difference through your practice amp, so if it's a case of prioritising upgrade the amp first - once you have a new amp the improvement will be that dramatic you may find you don't need to upgrade pickups after all. A good amp will improve your sound several 100%, whereas no pickup can improve a crappy amp.

Don't get the spider, it's pants, but if you have enough for the 120 watter then look into one of these for the same price.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-Fallen-Angel-40-DSP-Guitar-Combo?sku=485043

It's 40 watts, but 40 watts tube is deafeningly loud, plus all the volume is useable - with solid state amps the sound breaks up as you get near the upper volume limit. 30 watts tube is plenty for gigging so you don't need to worry about it not being loud enough unless you find yourself in an arena with no PA!

Once you've got an amp you'll be in a position to decide on pickups, I personally wouldn't go for the JB/Jazz combo...I have a pair of Dimarzio Breeds in mine but a Duncan Custom/59 combo would work well too. However, that's putting the cart well before the horse....save up for an amp first, you won't regret it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Good advice from Seagull
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
Yeah I probably should save up to get a good amp first. I was planning on getting the spider III just because of the number of different presets and effects. Thanks for the advice so far. As for selling my ibanez pickups, I'll get back to you.
Whats wrong with the Spider III though. Everywhere I've gone, I've read amazing reviews for it. Anything specific?
For practice/bedroom amps...the Line 6 spiders and the Marshall MGs aren't bad, honestly. But once you start buying really high wattage version to play with a band...It's not worth it. There are options out there for the same price that sound better. Tube options.
Also, if you're blasting your 60 watt SS amp to keep up with your drummer, it's not gonna sound great. At high volumes, SS amps can start clipping, and it just sounds nasty. I'd just get a decent tube combo. 15 watts tube is enough to keep up with a drummer, by the way.

Quote by steven seagull
However, that's putting the cart well before the horse....save up for an amp first, you won't regret it.
Where the hell do you grab these effective analogies from, anyway??
^LOL @ ANALOGEEZ
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by forsaknazrael
...I don't get it.

I just found his analogy to be funny, nothing more.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by Jinskee

I just found his analogy to be funny, nothing more.

Oh. I thought you were ridiculing my use of the word analogies...So I was thinking to myself about it...
"Am I wrong? No, it's definitely an analogy. Kinda looks like a simile...But it's more of a comparative process to explain something rather than comparing the characteristics of buying pickups to a horse...Yeah..I hope there's some pizza left in the fridge.."
Where the hell do you grab these effective analogies from, anyway??

www.effectiveanalogies.com

Lets see, so far i've done cart before the horse, the PC components analogy, and the race car analogy. I've got a long way to go until i'm in Clarkson territory though...anyone in the UK will know exactly what I'm on about, anyone who doesn't - do a search for Top Gear on Youtube!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I like the race car one a lot. I think I'm going to use that, and if quoted by some publication, forget to credit you for it. Okay? Mmkay.

It's on the internet...fair useage, public domain and all that rubbish I did think that the car one pretty much hit the nail on the head in terms of the whole pickup question...

*makes mental note to post drunk more often*
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

If I were to choose pickups though, how would the SH 6 compare to the JB and the custom. Also, how would the SH 1 59 compare to the jazz? If i had to pick right now, I would probably go with the 59/distortion combo because I didn't like how the jazz sounded distorted from the duncan website.
I like my Jazz distorted. [shrugs] Preference, I guess. I like a nice overdrive, rather than a distortion.
JB - High output, a bit trebly, kinda has to work well the tonewood...A 250K pot can help smooth out the highs.
Custom - Aggressive PAF kinda tone...The Custom Custom is a little smoother, a bit more mids and a sweeter top end. They're both great for Hard Rock, though. Clean up well with a little roll of the volume pot.
Distortion - More aggressive than the Custom, or Custom Custom, but good for heavy metal and other aggressive forms of rock. If you want cleans at the bridge position, best look at other humbuckers.

Jazz - Pretty versatile pickup, warm cleans, big rhythm tones. I find it to be pretty responsive to my picking dynamics.
'59 - PAF tone, think like classic rock. They're good for harder rock, too, though. The guy from Lamb of God, Mark Morton, uses two of these for his guitar in the neck and bridge positions.