Ok yeah I know this a dumb question...

But is there any harm to putting vocals through an amp, like just to test someones sound till we get a proper PA system. I hooked up a SM58 mic to my Fender Frontman 25r and it does work, but am I damaging the amp by doing so. My buddy also has a spare bass amp. Again this is a temp thing so we can see what vocals would sound like amplified... I think it costs something like 2000 for a setup for vocals.

So in short, would you do it, and if so through a bass or guitar amp. Again this is not to do a performance...

Thanks guys
probalby wouldnt damage it but you should have your own amp for vocals so it doesnt drain the power from the other instrument plugged into that amp.
it will ruin the speaker after extended use.

if you plan to only use if for vocals from now on, go for it. but dont expect it to sound good with a guitar after a few months of singing through it
That is what I was thinking cause most voices are more naturally... well bassy, if that is a word... and just thought that the actual bass speaker would produce better sound.
i use regular guitar amps and bass amps for vocals all the time, you wont do any damage, and like the guy said before me, bass amps work well, so get your friends extra bass amp
Oh and one more thing I thought of, I dont know if anyone has tried doing this through an guitar/bass amp. But it just seems like you need to really push the vocals more through the amp, or would it be the mic I am using? SM58
i use it through a bass amp, no problems at all, i dont know what you mean by pushing harder, just adjust the settings
Quote by medium mike
Oh and one more thing I thought of, I dont know if anyone has tried doing this through an guitar/bass amp. But it just seems like you need to really push the vocals more through the amp, or would it be the mic I am using? SM58

yea ive had the same thing running my vocals through a spare bass amp, but it gets loud enough for practicing
nope simply a lower impedance amplifier, and a mic pre would help built in on all soundboaards) however a real Pa would be the way to go...
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
play with the eq settings too, it will make a difference.

also if the amp has a built in reverb, adding a little can sound awesome
It is basically the industry standard in low-cost good quality vocal mic's for affordable recording/live use.

The 57 is great for instruments and good for vox.
haha
Actually, guitar amp is better imo.
since most of the men can't go below the lowest e string (basses!), the guitar can surely handle it. Even death grunts, guitar amps can well handle it.
Besides humans also have some high end to their voice.