For about $400 canadian. What should I be looking for/at? I know next to nothing about them.
The brands my local store carries are most likely Alvarez, Yamaha and those godin related brands like Art and Lutherie, Seagull and LaPatrie.
Last edited by YYZ at Feb 1, 2007,
I picked up a Yamaha C30 (I think that's the model) a few months ago...it's their entry level classical, but it's pretty decent. The tuners squeak a lot, but those can be replaced...it keeps in tune very well (I only have problems if I don't string it properly) and it's a beautiful instrument. I've noticed some chips out of the finish here and there, but it's decent for the price I paid. It was about $150 CDN.
If you have four hundred, you might be able to find something better. The store I bought at (Long and McQuade) didn't have a whole lot to choose from, this was the only one in that range. It's good for a starter, if you've never played classical before.

You should be looking mostly for good construction, I think. You probably won't need a cutaway, which is good because that's expensive. Look at the bridge, the tuners...check the intonation (but remember that nylon strings always take a while to break in before staying in tune properly). Mostly, just play a bunch until you find one that's comfortable.
"He has a woman's name and wears makeup. How original."
--Alice Cooper, on Marilyn Manson.
Yea I was looking at that, I think it's the C40.

Does anybody have any experiance with these LaPatrie guitars? There is a store near me who sells them and they appear to be pretty high quality for the price. Does anyone own or maybe have played one?