Page 1 of 2
Ive had my new ESP for three days almost and I've noticed roughly four cracks on the highest registers of the fretboard.

How did these stupid cracks happen, will they affect the intonation of my guitar, how can I prevent them and WHY WHY WHY me?

Does it have something to do with the wood expanding or something? Should I use lemon oil on my fretboard

someone help--ANYONE help~

Anything is appreciated.
Quote by serizawa
Ive had my new ESP for three days almost and I've noticed roughly four cracks on the highest registers of the fretboard.

How did these stupid cracks happen, will they affect the intonation of my guitar, how can I prevent them and WHY WHY WHY me?

Does it have something to do with the wood expanding or something? Should I use lemon oil on my fretboard

someone help--ANYONE help~

Anything is appreciated.

If it's new then you should be able to send it back. A crack in 3 days? Wow, that's just bull shit.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Well then, if the cracks aren't moving any of the frets dramatically then they shouldn't affect the intonation. I can't really think of any practical advice to fix the cracks but that really sucks man.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
search the forum, i think i came across a way to fix this, like cover it up somehow or something. Is it an ESP, or an LTD, (sorry some people refer their LTD's as ESP)..

did it happen since you got it? if so did you change anything or set it up yourself or anything?
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
Quote by rockstar_jones
search the forum, i think i came across a way to fix this, like cover it up somehow or something. Is it an ESP, or an LTD, (sorry some people refer their LTD's as ESP)..

did it happen since you got it? if so did you change anything or set it up yourself or anything?

It's an ESP. Japanese custom.

And I didn't change a thing. The person who sold it to me set it up before I got it. It's about six years old and I'm almost positive the cracks weren't there yesterday.
nice, i was going to by a MII last year... but i sold out and bought drums... sold them and didnt have enough to buy it :< settled for a jackson japan though...

you're guitar aint going anywhere, they're good guitars mate, i have heard the guy who sold me the jackson didnt like the ESPs, said he had to fix a couple and wasnt impressed, which i assume was a paint defect sort of thing.

Dont stress to much though, search the forum as i'm pretty sure it's came up on here before.
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Quote by rockstar_jones
nice, i was going to by a MII last year... but i sold out and bought drums... sold them and didnt have enough to buy it :< settled for a jackson japan though...

you're guitar aint going anywhere, they're good guitars mate, i have heard the guy who sold me the jackson didnt like the ESPs, said he had to fix a couple and wasnt impressed, which i assume was a paint defect sort of thing.

Dont stress to much though, search the forum as i'm pretty sure it's came up on here before.

I really hope so. I'm quite worried about my new guitar, haha.
Quote by pizzabox
use gap filler?

lol would u have a guitar with a fretboard filled with gap fillers???
it would definitely look crappy...
i would get another neck or replace it at the shop.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
suxors man
go change it at the shop man
don't u have like 30-day satisfaction guarantee??
i like that and the lowest price guarantee at Guitar Center.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by forsaknazrael
I still say show some pictures. The cracks can't be that bad.

I truly don't think the cracks are that bad, but I want to prevent them from getting worse and getting more of them.
UPDATE: I think the problem is that the wood in the frets is expanding--I've noticed this by looking at the frets very closely, and parts of the wood on some frets are pressing up (and chipping slightly) against the fretwire.

How to I prevent this from now on, guys?! You've been great help so far.
yeah, dont worry though it should be fine, ask the seller, have you dribbled on the guitar since you had it? or has it came from an area of way different climate?..wood is natural and changes depending on some of these things, but dont sell it man, unless its ****ed.
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Quote by forsaknazrael
Grab a camera, son. Pictures are worth a thousand words.
Seriously, they'd help us help you ALOT more.

I'll have my camera back tomorrow, so I can show you guys then.

Let's just hope it doesn't get worse.
I dunno.

It's winter here in NYC, and my room's gotten hot.

Think I should move the guitar into a colder room, or maybe even my closet?
put it in its case, then move it into a cooler room, nothing to lose, but i think its case would be the best place until people see the pics.
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Quote by rockstar_jones
put it in its case, then move it into a cooler room, nothing to lose, but i think its case would be the best place until people see the pics.

The pictures are going to be hard to really show, because the damage is on a small scale and the fretboard is black...
get a nice torch, or light or something, and shine it on there, so it shows the impurity surface or whatever ya call it, it may not come out black in the picture but should highlight the bad areas...
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Use superglue, and put a little in the cracks, then get two scrap peices of wood, then clamp the sides of the fretboard, using the scrap wood so the clamp doesn't touch the guitar at all. Make sure you clean up the excess glue immediatly.

Wood glue would probably work well, but may not dry clear.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Quote by Will_Minus
Use superglue, and put a little in the cracks, then get two scrap peices of wood, then clamp the sides of the fretboard, using the scrap wood so the clamp doesn't touch the guitar at all. Make sure you clean up the excess glue immediatly.

Wood glue would probably work well, but may not dry clear.

I'm not really sure if I can do that, it's a les paul style body with 24 frets.

Here's the first picture of my guitar I took with a camera phone--it'll give you guys a better idea of what you're working with until I can get my digital camera back and show the cracks.

That's what I ment.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

So the above is the whole fretboard wood, pressing up against the frets thing I was worried about...

The cracks basically don't show up since they're pretty small, I'm worried about them spreading, basically.
That's nothing, nothing at all.

You could take a needle, break that peice off, put a bit of glue in the hole it left, then put the peice of wood back in, press it in with the needle, wipe up the excess. This is if you really want to take care of the little chip.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Wow, that sucks man, I would just suggest like that other guy did; sell it on Ebay and let someone else deal with it. It's kind of dishonest, but what the problem is is most likely that the wood is drying out. If the cracking has already happened, then all you can do is slow it down; the damage is irreversible and it WILL only get worse. To slow it down some, just put lemon oil on the fretboard. If the damage is as bad as you suggest(PICTURE PLEASE!), then you really can't stop it forever, and you're kind of f*cked. The same thing happened to the neck of my old epiphone; luckily, mine was still under waranty, so I traded it in. I would suggest you think about doing the same.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Maybe the fretboard was starting to dry out. I bought an old beater awhile back that started to do that. The rosewood was really dry and dirty so I cleaned it up and gave it a nice lemon oil rub down. I did that once a month until the rose wood came back to life. Too bad I sold the guitar.

Edit: By the way I use Kyser Dr. Stringfellows Lemon Oil on all my boards (except my maple boards).
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
i'm pretty sure the ebony on that is better quality than your epiphone was....^^^
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
That's just the neck getting dry. There are a few things you can do to prevent it:
-Keep it in its case when you're not using it.
-Buy a guitar humidifier (I suggest the membrane kind, not the sponge kind...both work though) and leave it in your case. This should keep your guitar at relatively the same humidity. It's a good idea to do this to ALL your guitars, especially solid top acoustics.
-Rub it down with a nice fretboard conditioner.

You shouldn't worry at all about that little chip though. If the neck wasn't painted black, you wouldn't have even noticed.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's
Lack of oiling the fretboard wont cause it to crack. Seeing as you bought it online the cause is most likely the rapid changes in humidity in transit.
Quote by rockstar_jones
i'm pretty sure the ebony on that is better quality than your epiphone was....^^^

Who said anything about an Epiphone? Never had one and never will.
-Denny
PRS Singlecut Trem

Member #2 of the Coheed and Cambria fanclub, PM dementedpuppy to join.
Page 1 of 2