I am a novice at reading music and I have a beatles sheet music book. In She loves you they have both guitars playing chords which are listed at the top with the appropriate rhythm patterns. But on the staff it shows single notes that are being played like the open small e string and first fret f under the em chord...anyone know whats up?
It could be the melody of the song written for either vocals, piano, or if you really want to you could play it on your guitar.
also, does the staff line show which position the chord is playing? Or how do you know which position do play the chord or does it matter?
Quote by Epac
also, does the staff line show which position the chord is playing? Or how do you know which position do play the chord or does it matter?

No. The octaves the individual notes are in should give you a clue though.
If it also has lyrics under/above or between the lines (in the same intervals as the notes) then it will be vocal melody. I think it will be a vocal melody because most beatles books also have lyrics and vocal melodys in them. You can also find out by checking what the book says(Beatles music for Guitar and Piano, or " " for Guitar and Vocals, etc.) Hope this helps.
Rolling it back, keeping it simple.

Are YOU from Curtin University?
If so, CLICK HERE!
Quote by scrilly
No. The octaves the individual notes are in should give you a clue though.

so for example if it is a small e open string under the e minor where would I play the chord?
how is it represented to play the fifth fret of the b string?
Quote by Epac
so for example if it is a small e open string under the e minor where would I play the chord?

I meant if you were reading the chords off the staff. If you're saying what I think you are (and really, it's hard to tell), the vocal melody/lead guitar/whatever is playing an E over an open Em chord.
Quote by Epac
how is it represented to play the fifth fret of the b string?

The staff does not give you the position at which you play each note. It just gives you the note. Whether you play that E on the open high E, the fifth fret of the B string, the ninth fret of the G string or so on down to the 24th fret of the low E string is up to you. That's probably why so many guitarists don't read sheet music.

=
E||--0--------------------||
B||-----5-----------------||
G||--------9--------------||
D||-----------14----------||
A||---------------19------||
E||-------------------24--||