Hey,

What string gauge should i use on my Carvin with an OFR? I use 0.09s on m Gibson but i was using 0.10s on my Carvin (until a string broke so i now have to restring).

I was wondering if 0.09s would survive whammy bar abuse or should i stick to 0.10s?

(Im comfortable with either gauge)
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
Bodenhamer modded Maxon OD808
Marshall DSL 401 Combo
Mesa/Boogie F-50 w/ Marshall TSL 2x12 cab
wel first of all, if you change string gauge you need to set up you floyd again, because it's being kept in place by the tension of you strings.

If you buy thicker strings the floyd rose will rise, if you use thinner strings the floyd rose will descend causing frett buzz and whatsoever.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
a real man knows how to spell.

i use skinny top heavy bottoms on my jacksons floyd. they're custom gauge so resetting the bridge was a bit of a bitch, but its all gravy.
In this case, there's no such thing as a real man plays this or plays that. On a floyd rose type guitar, it is recommended to use lower gauges as opposed to higher ones because of the trem play. The higher gauge you go the stiffer your trem will be. Setting to higher gauges on standard tuning isnt too recommendable as its not too healthy for the knife edges since you're putting more pressure to it.

Having 8s/9s/10s should be ok. Even on 10s standard tuning, you can really feel the difference rather than 9s. 9s would handle abuse fine, wouldnt break, check for sharp nuts/saddles.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
9's are probbaly best. Like madpickin03 said, high gauges will cause your FR to become stiffer. And 9's are fine. I played some guitar by "Vintage" in my local store, and it had a Liceneced Floyrd Rose on it (And those suck, IMO), and the guitar has 9's on, and I was able to pull off crazy divebombs, etc, and have the strings literally hang off the guitar, and they were fine.
true but i now people with 10s on ther flowd and they can to whammy bar abuse with the best if them
If you switch to 9's don't forget not just to re-adjust the Floyd, but your truss rod too. The tension on the neck will be lighter and you may end up with string buzz as a result.
My Gear:

Jackson RR3 Pro
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender CD140 Acoustic/Electric
Line 5 HD500 effects unit
Marshall MA100

"Grunge was invented for people who can't play solos"
i have a quick question about restringing a floyd
if the guitar came with 9s and you put 9s on again, will you need to rebalance the bridge?
Top lel.
No, you shouldn't unless you change the tuning. Drop D will still be ok but any lower and you will.
My Gear:

Jackson RR3 Pro
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Fender CD140 Acoustic/Electric
Line 5 HD500 effects unit
Marshall MA100

"Grunge was invented for people who can't play solos"
Sometime you have to make very small tweaks with different brand strings. Nothing major though takes 5 minutes.
Thick strings will not make the FR stiffer, that's just crap! I used 11s on a guitar with FR and it worked perfectly. I recommend 11s or thicker for better stability, more tone, more sustain and longer lasting.
CLICK ME!

Gibson Les Paul Classic '05
JEH Custom Superstrat '07
Rickenbacker 480 '73
Marshall 6100LM head '95
Engl E412SS 4*12" cab '02
Line6 DL-4 '07
Ibanez TS9 '08
Dunlop Crybaby from hell '07
Boss CE-2 '79
Quote by lil-matee
what is a solo?
switching strange gauge doesn't only mean you're floyd needs to be reset but you're entire guitar might require a set up including truss rod adjustment and such (if you want optimum playability)
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
Ok - i think i'll change to 9s then - i did notice that with 10s the FR was rather stiff...i will probably have it proffessionally setup as i dont have an experience with doing so and i have a concert coming up soon so i dont want any problems!
Gear:

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
Bodenhamer modded Maxon OD808
Marshall DSL 401 Combo
Mesa/Boogie F-50 w/ Marshall TSL 2x12 cab
Thick strings will not make the FR stiffer, that's just crap! I used 11s on a guitar with FR and it worked perfectly. I recommend 11s or thicker for better stability, more tone, more sustain and longer lasting.

Yes they do, they have more tension so you have to increase the spring tension to compensate. End result, more tension in springs, more tension in strings therefore stiffer strings and stiffer trem....it's not exactly rocket science

10's is as high as you want to go with a floyd in standard tuning, there's a reason floyd equipped guitars come with 9's as stock.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Applause, applause, no wait wait
Dear studio audience, I've an announcement to make:
It seems the artists these days are not who you think
So we'll pick back up on that on another page