I am interested in buying a laptop for recording. Is an apple best? Or windows? Also, any recommendations? I am starting a sound engineering course so I want to have some equipment and knewledge before going.
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
apple macbook pro

greatest portable computing device in the history of mankind

good for recording too
Hmm. Thats a good question, i would have said windows for compatability reasons but, apple, hm, it depends how your recording, are you going to use an interface like guitar port, or do u want to be able to plug your gutiar into your laptop and go from there.

if your using an interface, all you need is like 80gb HDD, 512mb RAM, 1.2-1.08GHz would do the job.

If your want to just plug your guitar direct to laptop, through an amp or peddal, it would need to be about similar specs but with a DECENT soundcard, standard one would suck, it would work but, suck.
^ yeh, I was thinking that, but I am just going to get the laptop.

And yes, I am using an interface, be it a mixer or just an mbox

OK, so no apple?
My Gear:

If your using an Mbox get an apple and get Pro Tools, those things will run perfectly with eachother, you will be amazed.

Get 2gb of ram and a good sound card though.

I dont' even have an apple and I still praise them.
Get 2gb of ram and a good sound card though.

I agree on the RAM IF you are using samples and VST instruments and such.

Just for clarity's sake, the Mbox is a soundcard. The post above could be misinterpretted to mean you need a good soundcard and an Mbox.

Brandon
Apple with ProTools, don't think you can get better than that for what your looking for
I disagree Id say an Widows with a good processor lots of RAM and Sonar, then you can get Protools later if you really want it. Theres a lot more high end audio stuff out for windows PCs nowadays than there is for macs, plus its better for compatability. And youll want at least one External firewire HD. Really Laptops arent the best option for recording.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I have decided on an apple, but may not get a laptop. Protools and Cubase are the 2 programs they use a the engineering course, so these would be perfect.

May get iMac G5 or PowerMac G5
My Gear:

I would definitely go with apple if you're taking the engineering course. Pro Tools has done a great job of brainwashing and monopolizing the industry with their exclusive hardware / software solution.

I don't own an apple, but I've heard they're awesome machines. I'm just scared about the compatibility issues. I prefer Cakewalk and open ended audio programs that are designed to work with multiple peripherals, flexibility and so forth, and I'm just afraid Apple will have a problem with those things.

But if you're going to be taught with Pro Tools, you won't be experiencing any variety of interfaces and software programs, flexibility and all that - you'll be using Digidesign's hardware and software. So you'll have no need for compatibility with anything else, since they won't play with anything else anyway.
Quote by talentsix
The Mbox is an interface...

The MBox is an interface / soundcard. Brandon knows what he's talking about...
To get an Apple with 2gig of RAM, is gonna cost over £1000 so I'm really not gonna have much left to spend on software and an mbox. I think I may wait till my course so I have experience and a bit more money before buying.

Thanks for the help
My Gear:

Quote by ParanoiaMusic
The MBox is an interface / soundcard. Brandon knows what he's talking about...

yeah but it doesnt have some of the same advantages of an onboard soundcard.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm