Hi, i want to mod my strat to be as versitile as possible i want three single coils a five way switch and then what ever else you can think of i dont want it to be covered in switches though.

what are the most things you can do to a strat ?

.... inc. phase switches, series/parrelel ect...
i want to use the three single coils and the five way switch i dont want to change the look of the guitar too much was what i was trying to say
Hm, okay i think i know what your getting at, take a look at brians may signature Burns red special guitar.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Special

Unusual Features

* Series wiring
o The pickups are wired in series rather than the more usual parallel configuration. This means that when more than one pickup is active the resultant tone has more bass and less treble than if the pickups were wired in parallel.

* On/Off switches
o Each pickup has its own dedicated on off switch. This allows for the additional pickup combinations of "all 3 on" and "neck and bridge on", combinations not commonly available on three pickup guitars.

* Phase Switches
o Each pickup has a phase switch which reverses the pickup wiring therefore reversing the phase of the signal from the pickup. This means that when more than one pickup is active and one has the phase reversed, the resultant tone is rich in mid to high frequencies with the low frequencies reduced, giving a characteristic "thin" quality.

* Controls
o The position of volume and tone controls is transposed compared to most guitars with the tone being nearest the pickups and the volume furthest away.
thats pretty cool, im sure there are more mods that you can do to guitars to get different sounds out of them?

i heard the eric johnson strat could sound like an SG how is that possible?
i dont really like the sound of a strat on the middle pickup only- so i had mine modded so that in the middle position on the switch both the bridge and neck pickups were active. i found it gave a much wider tonal range.

5th Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM Apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
any one know a mod i can do to make a strat sound like a tele?

Tricky - two key differences in a tele are the metal plate at the bridge that focusses the magnetic field, and also the bridge pickup is angled another 15 degrees to the bridge at the treble side compared to a strat. That's what gives you the tele's extra bite and clang. You could mount the pickup on a plate and increase the angle, but then you'd lose some of the stratty qualities.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
i have a tip:

take the volume and tone controls and the 5 way switch away. wire the volume controls so that there are 3, one for each pickup. then just use those for the selection, so you can blend them every which way.

if you wanna go really crazy get 3 on/off/phase switches and put those in. that' s what i want to do.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
use a Rotary switch, i think you can get one up to 10 or so, if im not mistaken
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Quote by steven seagull
Tricky - two key differences in a tele are the metal plate at the bridge that focusses the magnetic field, and also the bridge pickup is angled another 15 degrees to the bridge at the treble side compared to a strat. That's what gives you the tele's extra bite and clang. You could mount the pickup on a plate and increase the angle, but then you'd lose some of the stratty qualities.

Truth. I've done that.
Just attach a metal plate, something attracted to magnets, to the back of your single coil. Glue it down. That'll give ya a bit more bark and bite, like a Tele.
Also, if you use on/off switches for pickups...Turning on the neck pickup at the same time reportedly gives ya a Tele like sound.