standard p-bass or active p-bass?

im probably gonna put basslines quarter pound pickups on the standard and the active and a basslines jazz pickup on it too. i dont play slap or anything, mainly pick, but fingers sometimes too. would the active still have a lot of tones even when played through an amp with no eq except for gain and tone?

and i might consider the american p-bass cuz of s-1 but its too much
i cant ber bothered with active pickups, unscrewing the controls off everytime you need to change a battery, theres really nothing wrong with the quarter pounders.
Amen to that! I just sold an active bass to go back to a passive one.
My reasons were:
- Ever seen a bassman with that "deer in the headlights" look? His bass just went off 'cuz the battery went empty in the middle of his best gig in years (later the bassman went apeshit)
- Active pickups just enhance the major harmonics. Result: often, if you don't keep the amp perfectly tuned and fit for an active pick up equalization ( and to reach this point means you you got a divorce instead because you had been reading the bass amp instructions for months at night in your bed instead of caring about the girl) the E and A strings sounds like boomers, the G and D like a mandolin.
- On some amps ( well, the older ones especially) the active pickups make the pre-amp clip

However active pickups have a lot of pros too....i am a blues bassman so you'd better ask to some other more modern guy...
But may I give you a suggestion? Buy a Fender Jazz Marcus Miller: it has BOTH options!
And plays wonderful!
Hugs
Anyone who doesnt put a new battery in before an important gig is a fool! A fool i tell you! The best will always be both, like said above.
Quote by angerisagift03
i cant ber bothered with active pickups, unscrewing the controls off everytime you need to change a battery, theres really nothing wrong with the quarter pounders.

You can get non-screw battery boxes..
you push one side in and the other comes out, and there is your battery... takes about 5 seconds.
Member of UG Gain whores.
PM Gpderek09 to join!
I prefer passive basses personally so i would say the standard p bass, but get the p bass special or deluxe or something, its the one with the jazz pickup in the bridge
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
i love the active sound. get an easy change case for the battery and you are set
|_1√3 1|\| yΩ|_|® \/\/®|_D 93+ p\/\/n3d 1|\| 1\/11|\|3

I Love to Drink Bawls!

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
I prefer passive basses just because I hate having to worry about batteries dying on me. I'm not that great at remember stuff like that.
Quote by MarcoSavona
- Active pickups just enhance the major harmonics. Result: often, if you don't keep the amp perfectly tuned and fit for an active pick up equalization ( and to reach this point means you you got a divorce instead because you had been reading the bass amp instructions for months at night in your bed instead of caring about the girl) the E and A strings sounds like boomers, the G and D like a mandolin.

...what kind of crappy-ass active EQ have you been using?
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
Warwick Mecs.
And the ARE good. This is a very well known problem with actives ( I read it many times in GUitar Club) . However, I am not AGAINST active pickups, I just do prefer passives.
Ans, as I said, with a good amp preparation is a non existing problem.
As i said, BOTH it's the best option. That's why I sold the Warwick and bought the Miller
Quote by MarcoSavona
Warwick Mecs.
And the ARE good. This is a very well known problem with actives ( I read it many times in GUitar Club) . However, I am not AGAINST active pickups, I just do prefer passives.
Ans, as I said, with a good amp preparation is a non existing problem.
As i said, BOTH it's the best option. That's why I sold the Warwick and bought the Miller

All I do is EQ the bass to my liking, and then add some compression to make the D and G the same as the E and A. Also, I make sure my bass has the -6dB pad on.

What kind of EQ'ing would you have to do to 'correct' the boomy lower notes?
A problem with active pickups, yes, but not with a good active EQ.
Quote by MetalUpTheAss
Sounds to me like an excuse.

"Honey, I've got to buy a new bass! This diamond is made of a dead guy! I made him a promise!"

Most Bitter/Cynical member of the Bass Militia. PM DinkyDaisy to join.
so, people think i should get the standard and replace the PUPs?
get the standard p although i would personally go for a jazz anyway
www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Quote by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!
Quote by thefitz

What kind of EQ'ing would you have to do to 'correct' the boomy lower notes?

That's a question hard to provide a correct answer with....
I am not an expert, I can only say what I do and that's mainly related to my actual amp, a Fender Pro Bass 400.

I use the parametric equalizer to cut some frequencies. Surprisingly, it's not by cutting the bass ( i.e. the 60 Hz knob) that you reduce the "boom", but cutting the mid-frequencies (i.e. 250 to 400). It's either that are those frequencies to be enhanced, or it's smg peculiar of my amp, really can't say.
The Fender Pro has a wonderful feature, a knob called "Room Control", which is supposed to adapt the sound of the amp to the room you're playing in ( soft surfaces as moquettes, sofas, curtains versus hard surfaces as glass, steel, walls) and a slight movement of this small knob is enough to completely change the sound. IT's really amazing. Seems like a powerful equalizer, even if the amp features one of its own.

With both these regulations I avoided the problem, even if I seldom use pick ups in active mode.
Yeah, I have the Fender Bassman 250 with a parametric EQ. I cut around 480Hz and compress until the notes are even. I also boost the shit out of my treble (and around 2.2kHz) as well.