So I am positive about going for an audio engineer/recording engineer/sound technician (call it what ya will) as a career (its what I like doing, and if I do somthing Im not interested in I will likely go to work drunk all the time and get fired ) The problem is I have to travel out of province to get to a school that offers this course and I dont wana leave! A second option Im looking at is online courses, im taking the free tour of audiomasterclass.com and so far found the first unit very interesting.

Has anyone ever tooken online courses and are they worth it?

Second, Im still in high-school with a year in a half left to go and of really can't afford $500 for these online courses myself, should I maybe wait until after school to take these courses while having an apprentice ship job at a studio to reflect what I learn on, or should I find the money somehow, take the courses now, get a certificate now, get on the job faster after school and it will show Im very determined in this department. (?)
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
just stick something in the hole and wiggle it around until you feel something poking out then push it hard.

Quote by gallagher2006
I seriously cant begin to tell you how refreshing it is to get some briliiant help from this site for once!

Thats about me
Well if you want to be an audio engineer and you don't wanna leave your home, well, your never going to find work, especially on the road. I know people on the road 300 days out of the year.

As for the question, you really cannot learn anything about audio engineering online. You really have to work with the equipment, like you would in a school, to really understand everything.
I got nothing to say here

Guitar: Red Ibanez RG120
As for the question, you really cannot learn anything about audio engineering online. You really have to work with the equipment, like you would in a school, to really understand everything.

Agreed. You can learn stuff online, but it's not even the same ballpark as learning it from a mega audio engineer. I spent 10 days at the Michael Wagener workshop and it was amazing. I'd always recommend that before some school from some instructor who hasn't made big records.

It doesn't sound to me like you really want to be an engineer. You want to be comfortable and stay home. You are saying that you would rather recording music than work at a factory or whatever. Well, it's all or nothing with this job.

You say you want to make audio engineering your career, but you want to stay home. That's fair. However, the "career" part, means you plan on getting paid for this. This means you either need to be hired by a studio or you need to start your own studio.

It won't do you any good to learn up how mic up a drum kit or patch in a compressor if you have no way of getting paid in your home town.

Read this:
Recording School? The Right Career Move?
http://www.recordingreview.com/articles/articles/28/1/Recording-School--The-Right-Career-Move/The-Harsh-Realities-of-Recording-School.html

Brandon
Well I didn't mean that I didn't wana leave home at all for the job, I meant it more that I don't wana move so far away right away after school, I would rather be close home for schooling and where the job goes from there, then I go. I do agree that actual experience with the equipment is a lot better then just reading though
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
just stick something in the hole and wiggle it around until you feel something poking out then push it hard.

Quote by gallagher2006
I seriously cant begin to tell you how refreshing it is to get some briliiant help from this site for once!

Thats about me
I have read pages and pages of things on the net about recording. I have quite alot of knowledge in recording, but no experience with professional gear.

Reading is not going to help, you say you can't afford $500 for the course, how are you going to afford the $000's for the gear?

In my opinion, it is better to be shown something and gain the experience at whatever cost, it gives you more confidence knowing what your doing and then you know what to buy and what you want to do and your not throwing away your cash.

I hope you do well though, I am going into this career too, I'm starting my course later this year.
My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR (EMG 85/81)
Mesa Boogie Stiletto Deuce
LOPO Custom 2x12 (Celestion V30s)
I'm taking a recording course right now and its one of the few classes that I can't imagine taking online, you really have to be there. And plus when you are looking for a job in the audio industry no one will hire you if all you have on your resume is"Online Audio Course" There is a lot of competition in the recording industry and the best jobs are gonna go to the people from top colleges with a reputation for audio engineering/recording or to people that have connections(which you probably won't get online).
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
yeah unless you have all the gear you need yourself taking online audio engineering classes will be sort of useless.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm