Page 1 of 2
Hi I wondered if you guys could help me with this.

I recently purchased a new Randall RG50TC all-tube amp and I am very pleased with it. I can get a great Iron Maiden tone out of it at low to mid Volumes, but I would also like to get a heavier thrash tone without cranking it to rediculous levels. Im thinking about tone similar to Dave Mustaine's on the Rust in Peace album. I play a Jackson Dinky with an EMG 81/60 setup.

Now i now that i'll probably need an overdrive pedal for more gain, but will it also be worth getting an EQ pedal to get closer to that tight crunchy megadeth tone?

What overdrive pedals should i look to be buying? I've heard about the TS9 and SD-1 being used often, but will they work well in my rig? Also what EQ pedals should I look out for?

Also feel free to suggest any alternatives to the pedals i named

Thanks in advance guys.

Try a eq pedal. MXR, Boss or whatever.
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
Quote by rockers73
Try a eq pedal. MXR, Boss or whatever.

Yeah I probably will, but i need a bit more gain also.

Quote by Tarzan_Man
Pick Harder

Thanks for that advice

Anyone else?
I would stay away form the zakk wylde....unelss you try it and like it....but in my opinion its noisy and sloppy sounding. TS9 is usually a safe bet. And if you dont want to really color your tone much but crave the extra gain the SD-1 is a cheap and easy way to preserve your tone. It will kick in th extra gain.

I recently picked up a Vox Cooltron Big Ben. I dont currently use it with my amps distortion, but I have. It does increase the gain nicely. But then you also get a killer balls to the wall OD all in its own. These things are definetly worth checking out. For those who dont know they have a tube built in that operates cold but still is able to clip. That means no warming up the tube. Sounds killer...so if you come across one try it and see what you think.
Last edited by Crimson_Eve at Feb 1, 2007,
Quote by Crimson_Eve
I would stay away form the zakk wylde....unelss you try it and like it....but in my opinion its noisy and sloppy sounding. TS9 is usually a safe bet. And if you dont want to really color your tone much but crave the extra gain the SD-1 is a cheap and easy way to preserve your tone. It will kick in th extra gain.

I recently picked up a Vox Cooltron Big Ben. I dont currently use it with my amps distortion, but I have. It does increase the gain nicely. But then you also get a killer balls to the wall OD all in its own. These things are definetly worth checking out. For those who dont know they have a tube built in that operates cold but still is able to clip. That means no warming up the tube. Sounds killer...so if you come across one try it and see what you think.

Hmm never thought about something like that, it does cost a fair bit more though.

Anyone else?
set ur amp like this
bass-10
mids-4
high-6
then get digitech grunge pedal from musicians friend.com
that'll help
UG's HIPPIE
A big negative on the Grunge....the only digitech pedals worth touching are Metal Master and the digidelay.

Yes the Vox do cost more...in guitar accesories....you tend to get what you pay for.(USUALLY)

Seriously....if money is the main issue...get the ts9. Hundreds of musicians use it....and swear by it. It is simply a good pedal. you wont find a negativr review on it. I not, explore your options.
Quote by ~G{}{}BER~
set ur amp like this
bass-10
mids-4
high-6
then get digitech grunge pedal from musicians friend.com
that'll help

You sir are an idiot.

Threadstarter, I say look into a BBE Boosta grande, for pure clean, 20Db of boost, its like having gain knob at your feet. Also look into a Boss BD-2 if you dont mind coloring your tone a bit.

PM me for some further advice.
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Last edited by SGKIDD at Feb 1, 2007,
he's right this time- a clean boost would drive your preamp tubes harder, and then you could turn down the power amp and still be super-high gain.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive gets a big thumbs up over here.
Subdecay Stupid Box
Digitech Bad Monkey
Visual Sound Jeckyl and Hyde
Guyatone M-MX
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
You put a digitech bad monkey in the same class as a Sparkle drive.

You get the idiot remark as well, just for that.

tubab0y: I am usually right, well in my world, and honestly Im very traditional and like my boosts with no grit. just plain boost..

Also, I like you, most of the time your opinons are spot on to mine, lets not ruin that kay? haha.
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Last edited by SGKIDD at Feb 1, 2007,
Not everyone can afford $150 for a pedal, like the sparkle drive. A lot of people can afford $30 for a pedal, like the Bad Monkey. You like the SD better, fine. What exactly makes me an idiot?
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
Umm the fact that a digital overdrive will degrade his tone, not improve it.

And I prefer my BBE boosta grande, ranking in at 80 bucks.
thats not too hard to save up for. True bypass, not digital, and overall a muchmuchbetter value.

Your not an idiot, you simply said something idiotic. Apologies for the abrasive comment.
Mail Goes here.

Get a maxon OD808 or OD9 (then mod or have it modded to 808 specs) and put in front of your amp. An EQ will help, but not as much as an OD. A clean boost works good too, but with a good transparent OD like the 808 you can add some gain without coloring your tone. A clean boost obviously wont color your tone either.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Quote by Revelations

Thanks for that advice

Anyone else?

I was serius, changing your style to picking harder and playing more agressively will make you sound more metul.
get a boost or an EQ
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Quote by SGKIDD

Threadstarter, I say look into a BBE Boosta grande, for pure clean, 20Db of boost, its like having gain knob at your feet. Also look into a Boss BD-2 if you dont mind coloring your tone a bit.

PM me for some further advice.

Thanks for the advice. I've found the BBE pedal for 50 pounds so its looking like a possible option. Could you tell me how it would compare to using an SD-1 for example?

Quote by joining_heads
Get a maxon OD808 or OD9 (then mod or have it modded to 808 specs) and put in front of your amp. An EQ will help, but not as much as an OD. A clean boost works good too, but with a good transparent OD like the 808 you can add some gain without coloring your tone. A clean boost obviously wont color your tone either.

So whats the difference between the Ibanez versions and the Maxon?
As far as I know, Maxon used to make the Ibanez tubescreamers. Then Ibanez started making them themselves, and Maxon carried on making theirs under their own name.
Maxon do use slightly better components than the Ibanez reissues, and their pedals have true bypass. They are generally regarded to sound better, but there are a ridiculous number of tubescreamer-alikes available, as well as modified units (like my Keeley modified version ), and most of them are an improvement on the reissue units.
Yes..... but keep in mind that Tubescreamers add MIDS to your tone....

So it might color it a bit.... But color in a good..... "tighter" way...

You could always try a EQ > TS > amp ....... that will du uber krushcing metuhl distorshion !!!!
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Well, you may want to remove your MIDS... Little or no mids is good for metal. But Maiden's got some mids so what you can do is use the clean boost rather than use something that colors your tone. Or, get the Boss GE-7 and futz with those sliders (less mids, mid highs, more lows) until your hands go numb.
Heads up to everyone, new person using this account
any booster pedal, like the xotic pedals would do what you want. the xotic BB preamp or AC or RC boosters would help.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
Quote by Kunundrum
Well, you may want to remove your MIDS... Little or no mids is good for metal.

Actually, scooping you mids completely will leave your guitar sounding like undefined fizz in a band mix. Killswitch Engage are a great example of a metal band with brutal, mid-heavy sound. They also happen to use tubescreamers and claim they are the secret to their tone.
Quote by Nolly
Actually, scooping you mids completely will leave your guitar sounding like undefined fizz in a band mix. Killswitch Engage are a great example of a metal band with brutal, mid-heavy sound. They also happen to use tubescreamers and claim they are the secret to their tone.

Seriously, once you get that to stage volume, all the audience will hear is static and mush.
Quote by ollie09
tone is all in your hands... all in your hands

So if I gave *insert metalhead here* a 100 watt Fender amp with no gain control, and a Hello Kitty strat with ultra-low output pickups, (s)he'd be able to get a great metal tone?

And if I gave *insert blues player here* an ESP Custom with EMGs, and a Peavey 6505, they'd be able to get a good blues tone?

Quote by ShizNick
Ok I think we're all good now. We're on the same page, and I'm back to trying to get with his sister.

^That's how you do it, kids!
Member #3 of the Iron Maiden Are Gods club. PM Revelations to join!

I write, apparently!
Quote by Nolly
oh dear I sense a tone vs. sound argument.

I'm not going to argue because I know I'm right, so I'm going to leave now...

*Runs away frantically*

Quote by ShizNick
Ok I think we're all good now. We're on the same page, and I'm back to trying to get with his sister.

^That's how you do it, kids!
Member #3 of the Iron Maiden Are Gods club. PM Revelations to join!

I write, apparently!
Well, you may want to remove your MIDS... Little or no mids is good for metal. But Maiden's got some mids so what you can do is use the clean boost rather than use something that colors your tone. Or, get the Boss GE-7 and futz with those sliders (less mids, mid highs, more lows) until your hands go numb.

Scooping mids gives the illusion of a bigger, "heavier" sound at low volumes, but sounds like crap at anything approaching even low stage volumes. The guitar produces predominantly midrange frequencies, so if you take them out you've just lost the majority of your tone....what's left sounds thin, hollow and weak.

The key to any good tone is midrange, simple as.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Revalations I will take your question on the BBE considering SGKIDD tells me how great it is everytime I see him haha.

Its true bypass first of all. Which means in a long chain of effects you can tend to get some nasty feedback and a lot of hissing and humming. Not with try bypass.

It is a clean boost. Which means it just basically ups the volume of cleans. BUT when used with a gain chanel it will kick in some extra gain. IM not sure why, I am still learning about why thhing behave the way they do in the world of circuitry and such.

Its also analog which again...IMO and many opinions is better than digital because its a more natural tone.

From first hand experience SGKIDD does have a pretty firggin sweet tone. And the BBE does make quite a difference. I have said this a million time but one more wont hurt....try it. who knows you might love it too.
I have to disagree on no mids being good for metal. Mids are important. Puts more oomph to the sound. Especially if your playing with other people.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
Thanks Crimson, Yeh he BBE is the way to go, its literally like ahving a additional gain know on your amp, only you can set it and up the gain with the"Step" of a switch.

And it fattens up, your tone too, without colroing it in the least bit.
Mail Goes here.

actually, the LPB-1 is a million times better, and half as much.

and us having the same opinions isn't true; can you say vetta?
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Ok cool, thanks guys for the help. I will try to find a shop where they stock a BBE Boosta grande SGKIDD, and will compare with a tubescreamer.

EDIT:

actually, the LPB-1 is a million times better, and half as much.

and us having the same opinions isn't true; can you say vetta?

Whats the LPB-1?
Page 1 of 2