I am looking at metal distortion pedals in the under $100 range and just wanted to know what other people think?
Last edited by BaxTurkey at Feb 1, 2007,
Metal muff! its great and its not up to other people its up to you. it is very versitile and is amoured like a tank.

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
I own the metal zone, but after trying out the metal muff last week, I'm gonna buy one soon. I'd say the metal muff, but really, it's up to you, so you should go to a store and try them out and see what you think of either of them
I'd say Metal Muff.
*Taylor 214ce Acoustic
*Fender Highway One Honey Blonde Strat (Fralin Pickups)
*Epiphone Zephyr Regent (Gibson '57 Humbucker)
*Vox 847 Wah
*Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
*Fender Blues Deluxe Amp
I have the metal zone pedal and it's quite good but I havent tried out the metal muff yet. The metal zone one is a good purchase though you wouldn't go wrong with either of them I'd say!
Quote by dumps

i had to look after my sisters house for a few days. so i invited these 2 girls round and we got wrecked. then my mum n that found out. step dad was proud. mum wasnt.

Lol!
i don't like boss. go for the metal muff.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
I have the Boss MT-2 and I can get brilliant tone out of it, it also depends on your amp alot. Spend maybe 15 minutes tweaking and you should find your sound I did.
And if you get the modded MT-2 you will be sorted, Its kick ass!

When I heard the metal muff it sounded plain boring and sorta dry imo.

By those two state Im not saying anyone is better so you should try one out yourself or just go for one!
You'll have to try them out. When I bought my Metal Muff, I tried out the Metal Zone but it lacked the thick bottom end that I wanted.
Epiphone LP Classic, LP Tribute+
Fender MIM Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall Class 5 Head, 1960a Cabinet
Carvin G412T
Fulltone OCD
Boss DS-1, SD-1 & DM-2
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Digitech Whammy
They're both absolutely shite. It also depends on what you're playing it into. They're gonna be different with every amp.
These go to eleven...
Last edited by JimPlaysGuitar at Feb 1, 2007,
Quote by Guitargod12345
Metal Zone, is ultimate.

I fear not...if by ultimate you meant ultimate of the novice world of unexplored effects you would be correct. There is more out there than digitech and boss.... Go for the metal muff. Unless of course your getting the metal zone modded by analogman. Then they are comparable
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Soap-Bar Maple II
Paul Reed Smith Santana
ProCo Solo, H20 Liquid Chorus

Thrash will never die
The big muff. If you have to, the DS-2 or the metal muff. Otherwise, skip out on the metal muff.
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
if you amp already has a decent amount of gain, use a marshall jackhammer with it. Works pretty well. The jackhammer by itself probably doesnt have gain enough for metal, but you can get it to sound very saturated when used in conjunction the amp's overdrive.
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
I'd second that one...its a very unique sound...but it does work. But yeah its not for everyone...try it and see for yourself.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Santana

Thrash will never die
Quote by Guitargod12345
Metal Zone, is ultimate.

no theyre not.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

is the metal muff veratile? as in can it do lighter stuff too or is it all out gain?
[Ibanez SZ320MH
BOSS SD-1, BOSS CE-5, BOSS CS-3, Crybaby Wah
Laney LC30

Quote by WantToLearn
i was biking with my guitar and it fell in a puddle of mud, i was like OH MAN and i whent home immediately and put it in a bucket of water
A new suggestion Digitech Metal Master. They are really good! played one yesterday!!
Quote by Cannaton
is the metal muff veratile? as in can it do lighter stuff too or is it all out gain?

It's pretty much all out gain. Even when you turn the gain all the way down, it still adds a good amount of distortion.
Epiphone LP Classic, LP Tribute+
Fender MIM Strat
Fender Blues Junior
Marshall Class 5 Head, 1960a Cabinet
Carvin G412T
Fulltone OCD
Boss DS-1, SD-1 & DM-2
EHX Metal Muff
Dunlop Crybaby
Danelectro Fab Chorus
Digitech Whammy
Quote by alexh0618
It's pretty much all out gain. Even when you turn the gain all the way down, it still adds a good amount of distortion.

As opposed to the Metal Zone?

IMO, the Metal Zone sucks. The Metal MUFF is pretty good.
marshall jackhammers are pretty versatile
Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
I like the Muff, but you need a smooth, darker tube amp to get it to sound it's best.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Metal Muff FTW!!!
Member #4 of the iPods Suck Balls Club.
PM Oblivious16037 to join!

Quote by basssoldier
when i was 7 i saw my mom naked while taking a sh** it was pretty sick cuz shes fat....

Quote by Soul Power
Your my hero dementedpuppy.

Last.fm
POOP
Quote by False_God
A new suggestion Digitech Metal Master. They are really good! played one yesterday!!

even worse. i have one and i dont like it.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Is the Metal Muff pretty much the best distortion pedal to get for using mostly highish gain type distortion?

I don't ACTUALLY play metal, but I like a lot of high gain on my distortion...

Sorta stuff like Muse, QOTSA, RATM tone....

or would the standard Big Muff be better?
There is no best...its what you like. The Metal Muff does sound great, I can sometims find a use for the incredible amount of gain on the Metal Master....but if you dont like huge amounts gain then the Metal Master isnt for you. I dont really like the MT-2. personally.

Its sounds to me you want an overdrive that is heavier than an SD-1 for example. I'd also check out the ProCo Rats, and the Vox cooltron series. Big Ben has a great heavy tone. I actually use it over the triple recto I am using half the time depending on the song. There is a dual made by Vox as well that has two chanels. One you can set to heavy as shit, and the other one you can set to whatever you want. Just try a bunch of things.

Remember, just bc its not very well known doesnt mean it blows. In the world of effects...it sucks if you just buy whats easiest to find.
Peavy 6505
Crate G1500
BBE 381
Hamer Standard Flametop
Paul Reed Smith Santana

Thrash will never die
I wound up getting the Metal Muff in anyone cares and I am definitely happy with my decision
it has enough to get as dirty as I want to go and the top boost is killer. Thanks to everyone for their input. Rock On Bitches
Muff, Muff, Muff!
Peavey JSX 2x12
ESP Horizon NT-II
Ibz RG3EXQM - EMG 81/89
Ibz RG270 - Dimarzio PAF Pro/Mo' Joe
Dunlop Crybaby
Ibanez DE-7
EHX Small Clone
Boss NS-2