I'm not really happy with the pickups that came with this guitar, so could anyone recommend some good pickups for playing hard rock/metal. (guns n roses and metallica type stuff).

My amp is a Marshall DSL 401 if that helps.

Thanks a lot.

Quote by anewhope
The guitar is perfect for a set of EMG's.

Which particular set would you recommend?

I'm not really happy with the pickups that came with this guitar, so could anyone recommend some good pickups for playing hard rock/metal. (guns n roses and metallica type stuff).

My amp is a Marshall DSL 401 if that helps.

Thanks a lot.

If you want a warmer, fatter tone a pair of Dimarzio Breeds is what you want...it won't turn it into a Les Paul, but it will give you back some of the warmth you lose from having a floating bridge. If you want a little more midrange and less warmth at the bridge the Norton is probably the best choice, a lot of the hotter Dimarzio's have a distinctive midrange spike that makes them great for soloing and shredding but not quite as good for rhythm playing.

The Norton and Breed are two of the most versatile pickups Diamrzio make, and whatever you put in the bridge I'd put a Breed in the neck. You can get by without changing the middle single coil, probably go for a Blue Velvet if you can afford to upgrade the single as well.

EMG's tend to be better for flat out metal playing, but I wouldn't recommend them for the styles you're looking to play...you want something with a more organic character.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
If you want a warmer, fatter tone a pair of Dimarzio Breeds is what you want...it won't turn it into a Les Paul, but it will give you back some of the warmth you lose from having a floating bridge. If you want a little more midrange and less warmth at the bridge the Norton is probably the best choice, a lot of the hotter Dimarzio's have a distinctive midrange spike that makes them great for soloing and shredding but not quite as good for rhythm playing.

The Norton and Breed are two of the most versatile pickups Diamrzio make, and whatever you put in the bridge I'd put a Breed in the neck. You can get by without changing the middle single coil, probably go for a Blue Velvet if you can afford to upgrade the single as well.

EMG's tend to be better for flat out metal playing, but I wouldn't recommend them for the styles you're looking to play...you want something with a more organic character.

Thanks for the reply, so good info there. Yeah, I wouldn't be bothered changing the single coil, cause i never use it anyway. I'll go check out some Dimarzios now.

Well if your interested in emgs (they will make your amps a metal monster too) I would recomend 60/81. 60 is pretty good for cleans and then your 81 will handle your rhythem etc.
I have the same guitar, and soon I'm going to get a DiMarzio Air Norton in the neck, and Tone Zone in the bridge. Simply because they seem to be pretty standard recommendations.
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Thunder 50 Reverb combo
Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor
Quote by Sora 01
^ wrong they sound OK in basswood.

They wouldnt be a pickup for gnr stuff tho itd be more for metallica to really high gain metalcore or something

Erm no, he's not strictly 'wrong'. Some like EMG's in basswood guitars, some don't. IMO they sound a bit too trebly in basswood, particularly RG's. Ask Erock what he thinks of his RG ('s?) with EMG's in, i know there are some others about with them too.
I have a tonezone (bridge) and a (paf pro) neck in my RG1570. I really like it. They will do guns n' roses fairly well imo. Although thats not what i have them for.

Remember to get the bridge pickup F-spaced (the neck is optional, mine is f-spaced and it works normal)

Also, i find for cleans it is best to roll your volume back a little bit and using switch position 2.

steven_seagull really is the pickup king, he helped my with my choice and really knows his stuff., if that helps you with your choice
2005 Ibanez RG1570
1998 Ibanez RG7620
1998 Mesa 2 Ch. Dual Rec
Do the smart thing and go with EVO 2's....seriously. For example...Mick Thompson uses the EMG's. And while he may be considered a good guitarist, slipknot kind of has a shit tone...and somehow they still make it sound good...but thats their thing. They love disgusting, treble-filled, raunchy distortion. The EVO 2's however I can say from my experience will please you just fine.
The Seymour Duncan 59'(neck) and JB(bridge) are a very popular and versitile combo.
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Quote by Staz80
The Seymour Duncan 59'(neck) and JB(bridge) are a very popular and versitile combo.

The words "JB" and "Versitile" don't belong in the same sentence (well "versitile" doesn't belong in any sentence because it's misspelled, but I think you understand what I'm trying to say).

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
lol, I am at work and saw my boss coming, so had to type fast.

Never said I knew this to be true, only what I have heard. So what's your take on the JB?
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Quote by Staz80
lol, I am at work and saw my boss coming, so had to type fast.

Never said I knew this to be true, only what I have heard. So what's your take on the JB?

I have the one that came in my Blackjack, and I just don't like any of the sounds that it produces. I've given up trying to get any decent clean tones out of it, but it does do a decent high-gain-treble-way-too-high-to-sound-decent lead tone if you're into that (which I'm not ).

Some people love it though *shrug*.

Whatever floats your boat.
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Kris_man
I have the same guitar, and soon I'm going to get a DiMarzio Air Norton in the neck, and Tone Zone in the bridge. Simply because they seem to be pretty standard recommendations.

In my continuing quest to find the perfect neck pickup to balance with my bridge TZ (which i have dialed in PERFECTLY and love more than life itself) i tried the AN. My Mesa Boogie 50 cal.+ Black Shadow speakers could barely extrude the mud, nay, RAW SEWAGE, that was generated by this pickup. then i tried the paf pro. that was a little better, but still too mid-rangey. now i'm on to a Super 2. we'll see what happens.
btw, this is in an rg with a (original) floyd floater. and i don't go anywhere near my clean channel
Last edited by sethp at Feb 2, 2007,
Quote by sethp
In my continuing quest to find the perfect neck pickup to balance with my bridge TZ (which i have dialed in PERFECTLY and love more than life itself) i tried the AN. My Mesa Boogie 50 cal.+ Black Shadow speakers could barely extrude the mud, nay, RAW SEWAGE, that was generated by this pickup. then i tried the paf pro. that was a little better, but still too mid-rangey. now i'm on to a Super 2. we'll see what happens.
btw, this is in an rg with a (original) floyd floater. and i don't go anywhere near my clean channel

But it sounds so good with Petrucci What I hate about pickups is that you can't just try them like you can with an amp.

I wonder if a Tone Zone and Breed neck would be a good combo - anyone?
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Thunder 50 Reverb combo
Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor
dimarzio has a 30-day trial period. i sent back my paf pro and they sent me the super 2. however, i don't think i'm going to take my liberties with this offer. also, musician's friend has some kind of return policy.