I want to change the stock pups in my RG370DX (Basswood body!), but i'm currently in a blur about what pups to get. I'm thinking of getting either a SD Jazz(Neck)/Custom(Bridge) or 59(Neck)/JB(Bridge) combo. I've ruled out EMG's because i don't think they'll fit into my guitar, so i'm planning on getting passive SDs.

I'm into A7x and Metallica, so i need pickups that are really high output with chunky palm mutes and squealing harmonics. Any input guys?
Originally Posted by Devon8822
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Last edited by fatboythin at Feb 1, 2007,
Seymour Duncan Distortion pickup in the bridge, and if you want good cleans for the neck, go for 59, or Alnico II. The Duncan Custom should also work pretty good (Troy Stetina used it in the bridge position for his Jackson before switching to Ibanez JEMs)
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
Would the Distortion be good for leads and pinch harmonics dude?
No!! Stop Now, Plugging More Than One Pedal In At A Time Could Be A Disaster.... Your Guitar Will Explode And Kill Your Band.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
It's the Distortion, dude xD It's MADE for leads and pinch harmonics.

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.

I think you hit the nail on the head with those 2 combos. Personally, I love the 59/JB combo there. I myself prefer their tele s/c's. Their so fecking warm it's not even funny! I plan on teaming up their hottest tele s/c pups up with a completely custom built, COMPLETELY rosewood guitar (including the knobs if I can get them shaped up to fit ).
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
EMG's are the same size as a standard humbucker, so im pretty sure that they would fit in your RG.
I thought of putting the Dimarzio X2n into my Rg370 think it'll sound awesome
Guitars/Basses:
-Ibanez SZ-520QM (D-Sonic/Air Norton)
-Ibanez RG-370
-ESP ltd B-55
Amps/Effects/Rig:
-Engl E530 + 930/60 Poweramp
-POD X3L
Haha, if you put it that way. How does the Distortion compare with the Custom or JB though? A lot of people seem to be recommending the JB/59 combo.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
A7X uses Duncan Invaders. I have one too and it rips, check that one out.
Doesn't the Invader sound a little muddy bro?

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
They're all good pickups, really, and any of them could be used for metal. Dave Mustaine of Megadeth used a JB/Jazz combo before switching to his signature active pickups (which were made to sound like his earlier combo, only with more clarity and higher gain). Personally, I prefer passive pickups, but the EMGs are awesome for metal, too. Much higher gain than the JB or Custom.

Stupid name.

Oh yeah, forgot about the Invader... The Lamb of God guys used that for a while, as did Roope Latvala from Children of Bodom.

See, the thing about active pickups is, I think you need to have a place routed into the guitar to have the battery compartment installed.

Stupid name.

Yea, i know EMGs would be the obvious choice, but i heard that they don't really make a difference through a SS amp like my Cube 30. I'm not saying that SDs make that much of a difference, but maybe they make a slightly better improvement over the EMGs? And i don't plan on routing a hole through my guitar to fit the EMG's batteries.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Quote by fatboythin

No your guitar has a basswood body, an Invader really pumps some bass into the sound of basswood. (Strange name for that type of wood, seen as it hasn't got a lot of bass).
^Yea, kinda ironic for it to be called basswood huh?

What pup should i get for the neck if i'm going to stick an Invader in the Bridge?

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
I had an Ibanez GAX70 (mine was basswood, but they are now made of agathis) I replaced the pickups with a Jazz/JB combo. They sounded great, and were very versital everything from clean to blues to metal. I play mostly metal and the JB was awesome. If I get another guitar that I want to replace the pickups I would definatly get the JB. The jazz was very good as well, but I also like the 59
Wow, i never imagined it was this confusing just to change a pair of pickups. Haha.

I think i'll just go for the 59/JB combo then. It would sound good on basswood right?

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
Quote by fatboythin

Yes, it is pretty muddy. Stay away from it.
Quote by fatboythin
Wow, i never imagined it was this confusing just to change a pair of pickups. Haha.

I think i'll just go for the 59/JB combo then. It would sound good on basswood right?

Erm...I'm not a fan of the JB. I find it too harsh on the trebly side...I good combo would be a '59 or a Jazz with the SH-11 Custom Custom. That's an aggressive PAF-voiced pickup that'll do metal.
And yeah, this combo will sound good on basswood.
Ok, thanks for all the input guys. I'll take some time to think about all the pros and cons of each combo. Cheers.

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
i have a guitar with distortion/59 combo, and that thing will do metal, pinches are kickass on it i can nearly pinch any fret, and nothing sounds bad. the 59 has a very smooth lead sound, through my JSX, i can easily get petrucci's solo sound.

in another guitar, i got a custom custom/59 combo, the CC is a little mild ocmpared to the custom, but will do metal just fine, it isnt as bassy as the distortion, so i probably wouldnt get this first.

i had a guitar with an invader, it sucked, only thing that sounded great were pinches in the higher frets, havnt had anything come close to that. but the pup has too many cons to pros.

hope that helps
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Dave Mustaine used the JB Jazz/59 set in his DV8-R when he was using ESP. So, they'll most definitely be able to handle metal.
Quote by The Casualty
Dave Mustaine used the JB Jazz/59 set in his DV8-R when he was using ESP. So, they'll most definitely be able to handle metal.

Infact Dave has always used the JB/Jazz set. Although he now has his signature actives which are active versions of the JB/Jazz.

Anyway Id try a custom/59. That should do metal well but without being to bassy or trebly.

And A7X use Invaders in Neck and Brigde and they get a really nice tone.
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
I'd say the JB. I think it's a good pickup, and I just put one in my JEM (the stock Breed's sucked.) I primarily play metal, and it sounds great, but it can also do punk and hard rock. I wouldn't recommend an Invader because of my past experiences with one. And yeah, check out the Distortion. It's a ceramic magnent pickup like the EMGs, so it should be pretty heavy sounding, where as the JB is Alnico.

As for a neck pickup, a Jazz or a '59 should do it.
My Gear
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Washburn X50PROFE
Crate FXT120
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Dunlop Crybaby from Hell
Line 6 Gear Box (for recording)

My Music
Quote by Mechanixx
And A7X use Invaders in Neck and Brigde and they get a really nice tone.

Avenged Sevenfold also use Bogner amplifiers...

I can't offer much in the way of suggestion, but I can offer commentary on the JB. From personal experience, you're not going to get a very chunky palm mute out of a JB.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
Its great for metal. i have a jazz in the neck and a jb in the bridge. ace cleans also. cemetery gates works a chime :P

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
So, would a 59/Custom combo do the trick?

Quote by KrustyD3mons
thanks man

^To me

My gear:
Ibanez RG370DX
Roland Cube 30
In mahogany, JB / Jazz set works well. I've heard those in basswood and didn't care much for the JB. I like the Custom, Custom Custom, or Distortion for bridge in basswood. Invader works well too. For neck, I lean towards the Jazz or 59.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor