Heya!

First of all I've to apologize if I don't make myself clear, but I hope you will understand.

I got this problem when i'm playing, my pinky finger (?) is retarded.

When I'm moving the finger I also move the finger next to it wich causes some problems.
I have no controll of the finger wich makes me angry and sometimes affects my guitar playing.

So.... Does anyone know any exercise to get more controll of the pinky finger.

Thanks in advance.

And btw, right forum part?
which hand? picking or fretting?
I'm only Welsh, give me a break!!

Gear:

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Airline 2P DLX
PRS Tremonti SE
Fender Strat
Yamaha FG 450SA

Peavey ValveKing 212
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop SW95 Crybaby
Shit load of Picks
Oh, i'm sorry... my left hand so that would be the fretting.

Yay, just leared a new word... Fretting XD
I'm guessing fretting. here's something to do in class:
Use your fretting hand (I assume left hand...)on your right hand, as if your right hand was a guitar fretboard. Line up all your fingers together in a line...And raise your pointer finger and your ring finger at the same time. Then raise your middle finger and your pinky. Alternate. Start off slow, but pick up speed as you get better at it.
^^

hmm...
I'd suggest doing some scales on slow speeds using all 4 fretting fingers...
just start slow until you're able to move your pinky a bit with little to no problems...
It sounds stupid, but just try working on touching your pinky to your thumb (on the same hand, of course). Do it a ton of times until your hand is used to just moving the pinky instead of the one next to it as well. That helped me out quite a bit.
My Main Gear:
ESP Eclipse II
Jackson RRT-5
Dean Michael Schenker Signature Yin Yang
ESP LTD EC-1000 Deluxe
Gibson 2016 Les Paul Traditional T
Marshall JVM 410H/1960V Cabinet
I would say duct tape your pinkey really tight so that you cant move it. Then repeat with other fingers.This is a great for giving your fret hand independence from other fingers.another thing i recommend is john petrucci's rock disipline there is a lot of stuff in there that helps with your sort of problem.
Okey, thank you guys! Damn, forsaknazrael's was really hard. I can tell ya that my hand is so f***ing stiff.
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'm guessing fretting. here's something to do in class:
Use your fretting hand (I assume left hand...)on your right hand, as if your right hand was a guitar fretboard. Line up all your fingers together in a line...And raise your pointer finger and your ring finger at the same time. Then raise your middle finger and your pinky. Alternate. Start off slow, but pick up speed as you get better at it.

I do that and its funny that when other people try it and can't, but they can after a while. I found it does help.

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
Scales or I have an exercise for finger independancy--> you must do it on every string
one fret per finger in pull off/hammer on, start slowy and go faster and faster.

------5--6--5--7--5--8--5--7--5--6--5--- then ----5-6-5-6-5-6-5-6-7-6-7-6-7-6-7-8-7-8-7-8-7-8.. and back..
this is the fingering pattern for the 2nd one 1-2-1-2-1-2-1-2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3-4-3-4-3-4-3-4

1=index...4=pinky
do this 5 min before playing every day, you will notice progress in your playing
MY GEARS:
Ibanez S520EX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Les Paul w/ Killswitch
Fender 12-string Acoustic
Fender Champion300 (to be changed soon to a Tube Amp)
Ibanez TS-9 Overdrive pedal
Boss PW-10 pedal
Last edited by alex3996 at Feb 1, 2007,
I pretty much do the same thing alex3996 suggested, except i use all possible finger combinations (doing it with your 3rd and 4th finger is a nightmare to keep up the same speed as the others). as always, go as slow as you need to be able to play the notes cleanly and consistently, then try a faster speed.