Poll: Tube or SS ??
Poll Options
View poll results: Tube or SS ??
Tube/Valve
62 91%
Solid-State
6 9%
Voters: 68.
What kind of amp do you have? Or what do you prefer, tubes or solid-states ?? And post the amp model you want/own.
Why?

What do you like?
Hamer USA Chapparal Custom, scalloped fretboard & Sustainiac
Hamer USA Chapparal Elite, Dragon Snakeskin finish
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Mesa 50/50 Stereo Power Amp
Laney 4x12 Cab
Quote by False_God
nOOb and use the damn search button its their for a reason!!!

Well you idiot go search for all of the millions of threads that contain the word "tube" or "solid state" if u don't like this thread then stop vewing it. Tired of all the morons that have nothing to do and keep posting in every forum "use the search button u n00b". What is your problem anyway FFS
i have a Cube 60....SS modeling amp, SS is ok for starting out but you get sick of it. Im getting an AC30 next week, it's far sweeter than any SS amp i've ever played...there are some good ss amps though...Roland Jazz Chorus comes to mind, it's really about personal opinion
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Quote by CyAC
Well you idiot go search for all of the millions of threads that contain the word "tube" or "solid state" if u don't like this thread then stop vewing it. Tired of all the morons that have nothing to do and keep posting in every forum "use the search button u n00b". What is your problem anyway FFS

*gives round of applause* well done, screw all the negative people who just bitch at everyone! i hate people who call u a noob for nothing
MIA Fender Strat
Yamaha FG-450S
Crafter 12 string
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Vox AC30CC2
Epi Valve Junior
Fulltone Clyde
Danelectro Free Speech
T.C. Electronic Vintage Dual Distortion
Boss MIJ GE-7 (c1987)
Boss TU2
MXR Phase 90
Artec delay
Tubes sound better. I was just playing a Fender Blues Jr. the other day. I'd really like one. Beats the hell out of my weak Crate amp...

And go threadstarter! We need more threads!
Member #3 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club.
Tube is the only way to go for classic rock and other mid-gain music like I play. Solid state has it's place for super high gain metal, super clean, and if you need a lot of flexibility, like in a modeler.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
before jumping onto the bandwagon i have to say

there are good solid state amps and there are bad tube amps

Peavey 5150, LTD EX400BD, tubescreamer, and a whole lotta fingers
Quote by CyAC

Owned.
Quote by Wayward_Son
Tube is the only way to go for classic rock and other mid-gain music like I play. Solid state has it's place for super high gain metal, super clean, and if you need a lot of flexibility, like in a modeler.

Tube is the only way to go for cleans and low to mid-gain stuff.

I'd agree with the high gain part, but that is mostly due to tightness (which a SS rectifier solves).
Quote by mr_hankey

I'd agree with the high gain part, but that is mostly due to tightness (which a SS rectifier solves).

I never said that tubes couldn't do cleans and high-gain. I was just saying that solid-state amps aren't completely useless, like some people seem to think around here.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Quote by CyAC

Theres millions of threads containing those words because people keep on asking the same questions EVERY day. Regulars get pissed off because the place gets cluttered up with so many duplicate threads it gets ridiculous and people get pissed off. You get involved in a thread and if you come back to reply the next day you usually have to sift through pages of crap to find the discussion and if you leave it more than a day you can forget it.

Anyways, to answer your question I personally prefer tube because for what I play I think tube provides a far superior tone.
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
False God are you in Shinedown?
BC Rich USA Gunslinger
BC Rich USA Warlock
Boss GX700
3TM ADA MP1
Rocktron XPression
Laney 4x12 Cab
LOL, false_god .

I have a cube 30 but I'm going to get a jcm 800 combo soon. Honestly, I prefer tube over solid-state. It just has better tone at lower AND higher volumes.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
My ADA MP-1 has tube and SS voicings to choose from, and I use both for different reasons. The SS gives a really nice crystal clean, and the tube does some good overdriven tones. It's definitely not true that all SS amps suck, or that all tube amps are godlike. You really have to play it, and if you like it, then it doesn't matter if it's powered by tofu.
Quote by VR2005
Very good post Marmoseti, you're on the right track.

Because footstools are cool - UG's Classical Guitarists

PM Marmoseti or Confusius to join
I prefer and own a tube amp.
President of the Guitarists Born In 1991 Club. PM blues rocker or I to join

Quote by RadioHead22
I love you greendayguitar
In a non- gay, awkward-man-hug way
I don't like tube for jazz, with two exceptions - Hiwatt (which remain ridiculously clean at high volumes) and Fender twin reverb (once again, good headroom, good bass response)

For everything else, I prefer tube. (Metal, Rock, etc). I love that saggy tube distortion rather than rigid solid state distortion.
errrrr uuhhh, Solids-states obviously pwn. I own lots of solids-states amps. Right now I have a wall of mg's I play the metal
Quote by mr_hankey

Roland Jazz Chorus?

Quote by Gutch220
errrrr uuhhh, Solids-states obviously pwn. I own lots of solids-states amps. Right now I have a wall of mg's I play the metal

RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
well im my band i play all sorts from opeth to lamb of god to coheed and cambria-so i need alot of versitalitly and no tube amp in my price range could do it- i got a cube 60-chuffed with it so for me solid state is best.
Quote by Danno13

Go cut your wrists or whatever it is you emo kids do for fun, I'm not helping you.

member of UG's gain \/\/hores- pmgpderek09 to join
Tube.
Gibson Les Paul Classic w/Stetsbar
Fender MIM Strat w/ EMG DG20 System
Mesa Boogie Express 5:25
EHX Holy Grail
EHX Memory Boy
Maxon OD9
EHX Big Muff
Vox Wah
EHX POG
I want to get a roland jc to use for cleans alongside my tube amp
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
there are very few ss amps that are good, and even the good ones normally are pretending to be half tube or something like that

if you look at all the saught after amps on here
mesa
blues junior
fender twin
jcm marshalls
etc
most tend to be tube
majorit
" the lick is simply a diminished harmonic minor arpeggiated sequence of dominant stitonics descending down in whole steps in the Phrygian mode...with a raised fourth.
i got a 6505 + amazing......for death metal.
-Shecter C-7 Hellraiser FR, Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR,
ESP LTD F-2005, Ibanez RG7321
-Peavey 6505+
-Maxon OD-9, Dunlop 535Q Wah, EHX Deluxe Memory Man, MXR 10-band EQ, MXR Super Comp
Melodeath: www.myspace.com/incarnia
UG Gain Whore
I prefer tube, although I have a Solid-State amp .

Some aren't bad though. The Jazz Chorus made by Roland are nice. Plus, if I were to play Jazz, I'd pick Solid-State.
Sent from my iPad.
some analog solid-state amps from the 60's, 70's, and early 80's aren't that bad for certain applications