Hi,

I'm about to build my second amp, and i want to build a portable, quality 15 watt solide state amp. Because i don't really know wich 15 watt ss amps are great, can you guys give me some advice? Note: Since i make it myself a modeling amp isn't possible.

thx in advance
Last edited by oxokoning at Feb 1, 2007,
what's ur budget?

a lot of guys work on small tube amps.

or for $99, u can buy a small epi tube amp and mod it like crazy.
i can get u some links if u want.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I could make a tube amp, but it wouldnt be that portable, it would weigh more and be more breakable. For the costs; making one will only cost me the speaker, cause my dad has all the other electronic parts. And since i won't use it that much, i'd rather spend my money for my upcoming amp.
Quote by shav0r
Wrong forum, check "Gear Building"

It's not the wrong forum. He's asking for advice on 15watt amps, not about building it. He'll end up posting a thread in the GB+C forum though, probably.

Anyway, I guess you could look into building a Roland Cube or since it's a first amp build, maybe something like a MG15. But you'd be better off building a cube or something.
Yeah, but those work on chips(ic) for effect/modeling amp. I'm actually searching some sort of 'vintage', the 'real' ss amps. Things like the cube, valvetronix,... are good but they also work with chips. What used to be the killer ss amps, maybe i can make one of them...
if by 'chip' you mean transistor, uh, that's what makes the amp solid state, i could be wrong though. i've been reading a lot of info on here and it's getting a little jumbled o_O
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
find the schematic of a pignose, maybe a hog-20. they are godly toneage.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
if by 'chip' you mean transistor, uh, that's what makes the amp solid state, i could be wrong though. i've been reading a lot of info on here and it's getting a little jumbled o_O

No with the chip i mean the IC's wich hold the programed info.

find the schematic of a pignose, maybe a hog-20. they are godly toneage.

thats what im looking for, thx.
Last edited by oxokoning at Feb 2, 2007,
www.generalguitargadgets.com has a few easy amp schematics, and they'd be easy to mod- add tone controls, etc.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!