Hey, Im doing my final dissertation for my university course, and the subject is subcultures... Please could yoy guys fill this questionaire in and help me out.
Thanx

Questionnaire

1. How old are you?

2. Are you male or female?

3. Do you relate to a subculture? Yes No

4. Have you ever related to a subculture? Yes No (If no please see question 9)

5. When was this?

6. Which Subculture did/do you relate to?

Punk Ska Teds Mods Goth Skinheads Emo Indie Chav

Other (please state)

7. a. How did you relate to the subculture?

Music Fashion Lifestyle Other

b. Please Specify

8. How did you become interested in this subculture?

9. a. If you answered no to questions 3 and 4 do you think that subcultures still exist in todays society?

Yes No

b. If yes which and why?

c. If no why do you think that people no longer feel the need to relate to subcultures, and/or what makes it impossible for them to exist?

10. What do you think is the most important factor in the formation of subcultures? Why?

11. How do you use music?

Entertainment Play an Instrument Expression of your Political views

Expression of your lifestyle Other

12. a. Do you listen to the Radio?

Yes No

b. When

c. Where

13. If not why not?

14. When and where do you listen to CDs?

15. How has your music taste changed through your life?
I'm going to leave this open but just move it to the pit. I've yet to get going on my dissertation (probably stupid leaving it for the first half of the year), so good luck with it.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Questionnaire

1. How old are you? Eighteen.
2. Are you male or female? Male
3. Do you relate to a subculture? Yes
4. Have you ever related to a subculture? Yes
5. When was this? Currently
6. Which Subculture did/do you relate to? Emo Indie & Punk
7. a. How did you relate to the subculture? Music
8. How did you become interested in this subculture? Friends who were involved
10. What do you think is the most important factor in the formation of subcultures? The ability to feel exclusive.Why? People who indulge in subcultures feel a need to be separated from the "riff-raff" of popular culture so they seek out like minded individuals and create underground scenes.
11. How do you use music? Entertainment / Play an Instrument
12. a. Do you listen to the Radio? No
13. If not why not? Last time I checked, the music I generally listen to isn't on terrestrial radio.
14. When and where do you listen to CDs? Every time I'm in a car.
15. How has your music taste changed through your life? I used to be really into catchy songs and then I went into a phase of liking the original and different and now I enjoy music that is original but still catchy.
1. 18
2. dude
3. no, but if people saw me they would think i'd be like in a punk one.
4. Yep
5. last year or maybe almost two years now...wow...
6. Chaos punk/street punk/up da punxxxx!!!
a. music
b. i used to listen to all that crappy casualties rip off shit.
8. idk...listening to music, and so did they and we all kind of formed...
10. simillar likes, exclusion from peers who like differently, and shit like that. why? because it's like if your in a gang, you need to feel that connection with simillar situations. soon, maybe one will realise they don't need that.
11. i play bass/guitar
12. no.
13. i don't like the music on it.
14. never
15. it has gone from chaos punx to more...i guess proto-punk/ punk rock n' roll such as the velvet underground or mc5 or the stooges...
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
1. How old are you? 15

2. Are you male or female? male

5. When was this? Since about the age of 12 or 13

6. Which Subculture did/do you relate to? Punk

7. How did you relate to the subculture? Please Specify. I started by listening to the music, and then started to get into the other aspects of it.

8. How did you become interested in this subculture? I liked the Ramones, and then got into other bands, and then got more interested in punk as a whole.

9. a. If you answered no to questions 3 and 4 do you think that subcultures still exist in todays society? N/A
b. If yes which and why? N/A
c. If no why do you think that people no longer feel the need to relate to subcultures, and/or what makes it impossible for them to exist? N/A

10. What do you think is the most important factor in the formation of subcultures? Why? The most important factor is the followers, without them it would be nothing.

11. How do you use music? I actually think I express myself better through music than words. Of course, the words will be about something I believe in or something that's on my mind.

b. When Never

c. Where Nowhere

13. If not why not? I don't find any music on the radio to be appealing

14. When and where do you listen to CDs? Mostly at home or work

15. How has your music taste changed through your life? I first liked blues, then classic rock, then punk, then classic rock again, and then the floodgates opened up and I listen to pretty much every genre, but I stick with punk as the one that best defines my music tastes.
I'm bored so I'm gonna do this...

Questionnaire

1. How old are you? uh... 15... and a half (hides)

2. Are you male or female? female. no rapists, please.

3. Do you relate to a subculture? sure

4. Have you ever related to a subculture? erm... ^

5. When was this? last week?

6. Which Subculture did/do you relate to? Sigh. punk I guess. Though I do hate this tedious labeling.

7. a. How did you relate to the subculture? Well, it's nearly all I listen to, I go to local shows, I'm involved in the scene a bit, a have a band, have done Food Not Bombs, so on and so forth.
note how FASHION is not mentioned on this list. 'punk fashion' being a huge ****ing oxymoron.

8. How did you become interested in this subculture? I got one of those free compilation things when I was like 10, started listening to the more mainstream "punk" bands like Rancid, then moved onto the Dead Kennedys and stuff like that, then further into the obscure.

9. a. If you answered no to questions 3 and 4 do you think that subcultures still exist in todays society?

awesome.

b. If yes which and why?
awesome.

c. If no why do you think that people no longer feel the need to relate to subcultures, and/or what makes it impossible for them to exist?
wow awesome

10. What do you think is the most important factor in the formation of subcultures? Why?
lots of things; spirit, motivation, brains, and NO ASSHOLE SCENE KIDS RUINING IT.

for everything pretty much. It's basically all I do. I've always used playing guitar as a way to get stuff out, and I often enjoy writing country and western songs about smashing things.

eww no

b. When

c. Where

13. If not why not?
EWW. I just have no use for it.

In my room mostly

well yes and no. I remember listening to Radiohead when I was like 5 years old and I still like them, but I can say I'm no longer into such bands as... Sum 41.

well now that killed five minutes.
Quote by TheGuitarDreams
Ghandhi was the greatest shredder ever.

Quote by Siftings
Ian Mackaye confuses a shot of heroin with his insulin, and hilarity ensues.
Questionnaire
1. How old are you? 22
3. Do you relate to a subculture? No
4. Have you ever related to a subculture? No

9. a. If you answered no to questions 3 and 4 do you think that subcultures still exist in todays society? Yes

b. If yes which and why? - Many exist, because people have a tendency to form in-groups and label others as outcasts. A subculture is just a more widespread high-school clique

10. What do you think is the most important factor in the formation of subcultures? A common interest - Why? It's the easiest way to differentiate yourself

11. How do you use music? Entertainment and Play an Instrument

13. If not why not? It's like a crappy television

14. When and where do you listen to CDs? I only buy CDs as a conscious effort to support artists I like. As a general rule I put it on my Laptop/Ipod and never listen to the CD again.

15. How has your music taste changed through your life? At about 12 I would say I "discovered" music, basically listening to my dad's collection of Zeppelin, Van Halen, Aerosmith and Genesis (lol ) ... then I started listening to what I thought was really hard shit, like Slipknot ... then I got into old shit like the Clash, Ramones, and Danzig ... then I started listening to a lot of Taking Back Sunday type shit ... now I like a couple of different genres, from acoustic stuff (what I play) to proggy stuff like the Mars Volta
Praise be unto You,
Flying Spaghetti Monster
Creator of all

Stripper factories
And beer volcanoes await
In the afterlife
RAmen
1. How old are you? 13

2. Are you male or female? Female

3. Do you relate to a subculture? No.

Yes

b. If yes which and why? Yes because there will always be trends, and people who either don't choose to follow what everyone else is, or people who just have different taste.

That people all feel strongly for/against one thing.

Cd's, Mp3's, internet, gigs, instruments...

to express my views on politics and life.

No

b. When

c. Where

13. If not why not?

I prefer listening to cd's and finding out about new music in other ways (internet) and there aren't many stations I can listen to that play music I like.

Basically everywhere, all the time.

Yes, I liked pop, then rap, then nu-metal, then Metal, and now I like almost everything I hear.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Questionnaire

1. How old are you?
Seventeen

Male

3. Do you relate to a subculture?
Yes

4. Have you ever related to a subculture?
Yes

5. When was this?
Ever since I've been in High School really

Other (please state)

b. Please Specify

My taste in music evolved, and I found myself listening to more and more indie

Yes No

b. If yes which and why?

A common interest between individuals that tends to serve as an alternative to the mainstream, probably due to a need to feel 'unique' or separate from the mainstream/popular culture

Entertainment/Instrument

No

b. When

c. Where

13. If not why not?
I don't own a radio

Generally in my room, when my MP3 player is out of battery, or the CD isn't on my PC yet

Something like this:

Pop
Dance
Pop
Pop-punk, Ska, Punk, Emo
Now, primarily Indie, but I still listen to a lot of Pop-punk and Emo

There might have been a stint of listening to Nu-metal in there at some point, but it wasn't really as noteworthy as the others...
Last edited by fake_sk8r182 at Feb 2, 2007,
1. How old are you? 20
5. When was this? In middle school.
6. Which Subculture did/do you relate to? Punk, pop
7. a. How did you relate to the subculture? Music, Fashion, Lifestyle
b. Please Specify: Dressed like the artist and the fans, listened to the music a lot, lived by their standards.
8. How did you become interested in this subculture? I was weak! lol
9. a. If you answered no to questions 3 and 4 do you think that subcultures still exist in todays society? Yes
b. If yes which and why? All of them. It's hard to have a society without subcultures.
c. If no why do you think that people no longer feel the need to relate to subcultures, and/or what makes it impossible for them to exist? n/a
10. What do you think is the most important factor in the formation of subcultures? Why? The people who are at the head of it. People will listen to them.
11. How do you use music? Entertainment, Play an Instrument, Expression of my lifestyle.
12. a. Do you listen to the Radio? Yes
b. When: Whenever I drive.
c. Where: ... in my car.
13. If not why not? n/a
14. When and where do you listen to CDs? ALL the time.
15. How has your music taste changed through your life? It gave me something to relate to.
Looking for my India/Django.
Questionnaire

1. How old are you? 18

5. When was this? always

Punk/Ska

Music

b. Please Specify
Just the music i listen to and the way i think about music in general

I've always looked up to my cousins. 2 of them are/were in a punk band and when they played some punk records for me, it just had an effect on me

Yes

b. If yes which and why?
Punk Is alive and well. Although its developed it's own subcultures: Hardcore, Street, Crust, etc. Unfornately, people often think that when someone says they like Punk Rock, they mean Pop Punk

10. What do you think is the most important factor in the formation of subcultures?
Music. Musical subcultures are the only ones that really survive

I play Guitar and Listen to it as much as i can

No

b. When
-

c. Where
-

13. If not why not?
Theres really no stations out here that play what i like.

Whenever Im on the computer, School, The Car, every chance i get

Over the past year or so i've really developed a healthy respect for Metal and Classic rock. I used to think it was all shit, but i guess i never really gave it a chance
... For A Pair Of Brown Eyes

Quote by Bladez22
smoke, you get more awesome by the minute..... You have an epic beard, live near woods, listen to metal, grill stuff using makeshift bbqs out of old cans, and now we find out you have stabbed someone in the dick
1. How old are you?
Male
No
Yes
5. When was this?
mid teans 13-17

Indie

Other (please state)

Music Fashion

b. Please Specify
Listened to obscure bands etc, wore stripy tops

I liked the music

Yes
b. If yes which and why?
Most of them exist somewhere because teens will always from peer groups around perceptions of what is cool/popular

Peer Pressure

Using music is a slight paradox maybe this should be better interpreted as your reasons for being a musician, you cannot use music really you can only express it and allow it to be free of interpretation

Yes

b. When
Late nights to listen to hockey broadcasts

c. Where
streaming via pc

13. If not why not?

in the social areas of my flat or the car

yes, from pop to punk to nu metal to indie then now to a more accepting stance upon many genres of music
1. How old are you?

Male

Yes

Yes

5. When was this?
2000 > present

Punk

Other (please state)

Music Fashion Lifestyle

Listened to radio

Play an Instrument

No

b. When
Never

13. If not why not?
It plays mostly shite

in my room walkman

Into stuff like jethro tull now.
1. How old are you? 19

5. When was this? N/A

6. Which Subculture did/do you relate to? N/A

Other (please state)

b. Please Specify

9. a. If you answered no to questions 3 and 4 do you think that subcultures still exist in todays society? Of course.

Yes

b. If yes which and why? All named above, plus more that are not listed. I think people have a natural tendency to try to identify with a group, and these subcultures are just groups with which people can identify. They give their members a sense of fraternity.

10. What do you think is the most important factor in the formation of subcultures? Why? I think that one person starts out with a particular style, and others, in an attempt to be "cool," imitate that style. It grows from there, eventually reaching the size that no one really knows where it began. A shorthand example is the long hair style of the '60s and '70s, which was probably started (at least in the US) by The Beatles when they came to the United States.

11. How do you use music? To listen to and to play. Relaxation and entertainment.

No

13. If not why not? Haven't found a station with programming I really like. I'd rather customize and listen to my own music.

14. When and where do you listen to CDs? In my car and at my residence.

15. How has your music taste changed through your life? It's expanded and grown more diverse, branching out from really only one band initially, then through that genre, then into other genres influenced by that genre and the roots of that genre. (The Beatles-->classic rock-->modern rock/alternative-->blues...etc.)
Can't stop the signal.
Questionnaire

1. How old are you?
Male
3. Do you relate to a subculture?
No
4. Have you ever related to a subculture?
Yes
5. When was this?
A while back.
Punk
7. How did you relate to the subculture?
Music/lifestyle
I thought it was awesome, thought wrong.
9. If you answered no to questions 3 and 4 do you think that subcultures still exist in today’s society?
Not so much, emo/hardcore is more in nowadays, which is stupid.
10. What do you think is the most important factor in the formation of subcultures?
Usually a group of people act the same, get together, and start a new fad. That or they’re a minority.
For entertainment, to play, express how I feel about life in general.
12. Do you listen to the Radio?
No
13. If not why not?
Because I usually can’t listen to what I prefer, plus I have an iPod, which is 10x better.
I listen to the albums on my iPod, and occasionally a CD in my car.
It has changed my life in many ways, mainly that it helped me open my mind and views to other cultures and lifestyles, making me mature and realizing how music can change a person emotionally and physically.
Get off my lawn.
1. How old are you? 17

5. When was this? Idk

6. Which Subculture did/do you relate to? metalhead ?

Other (please state)

Music

b. Please Specify

im not.

Yes

b. If yes which and why?
Watch the fashion trends.

10. What do you think is the most important factor in the formation of subcultures? Fashion Why? Just watch the cloths.

11. How do you use music? As insipirationg

No

13. If not why not? They don't play my kind of music

14. When and where do you listen to CDs? At home while playing guitar or drawing

15. How has your music taste changed through your life? I went from Greenday to In Flames. Will you look at that.
Questionnaire

1. How old are you?

Male

Yes

5. When was this?

Other (please state)

Rocky Horror

All of the above

b. Please Specify

I am interested in drag and transvestism, and Rocky has become sort of an outlet for that interest.

It's difficult to remember at this point, but I remember being introduced to the movie itself by friends a long time ago. The subculture, however, I had to discover on my own.

Yes No

b. If yes which and why?

Individuals seeking comfort in interacting with people who have similar interests

Yes No But only college radio, which isn't really the same thing as conventional radio

b. When

Whenever I'm driving

c. Where

In the car

13. If not why not?

I only buy vynil when I buy records, and otherwise all my music is on my computer/mp3 player. So never and nowhere

Some music stays with me, some gets forgotten, even more gets discovered. I'm pretty sure that doesn't answer the intended question, but it should be more specific so whatever.
1. How old are you? 17

4. Have you ever related to a subculture? No (If no please see question 9)

5. When was this?

Other (please state)

b. Please Specify

Yes

b. If yes which and why?

There are too many to name. And why not? It just shows the difference in people.

10. What do you think is the most important factor in the formation of subcultures? Why? Music maybe. All subcultures have a music genre to relate to.

11. How do you use music? Mostly to entertain myself

No

b. When

c. Where

13. If not why not? I prefer listenin to music i choose

14. When and where do you listen to CDs? In mates cars or in my room

15. How has your music taste changed through your life? All my life I've listened to my mums music which is Sex Pistols, Clash, Stiff Little Fingers etc. I still liek them, but now I'm more into funk and some classic rock.