Alright, no offense to all you shred fans out there, but I'm getting a little bit tired of everyone judging other guitarists on their "shredding" ability. Don't get me wrong, shredding can be very impressive, but alot of people I see on the internet and even famous people like yngwie malmsteen, get so lost in shredding that what they're playing doesnt even sound musical anymore, its just random scales or arpeggios played really fast. I saw a video of Yngwie malmsteen playing "the blues," and its definitely impressive, but it doesnt actually sound that good, and its definitly not bluesy sounding. And everybody is always judging people like Billie Joe Armstrong because they can't shred, or at least choose not to in their songs, but in reality, Green day's music obviously appeals more to the general public than yngwie malmsteen, for example. And if the people who criticize Billie Joe are so much better, then why is he making millions as the lead guitarist of arguably the most popular band in the world, while the critics who can "shred" are sitting at home in their basement shredding away endlessly with no one caring except a few people on youtube. And dont tell me that its because green day got luck, because thats a bunch of crap. Sure luck is involved, but the bottom line is you have to make music that people want to listen to.
Shredding is very neat and amazing and awesome and completely useless
Quote by HxCori<3
you sir, are the ultimate UG stereotype, praise a not so good metal player, zakk, put down other peoples playing, seriously say I WAS GONAA PLAYZ SOME UBER LEEDS LOZLOERLS~1!!!11!, and then critique epiphones as if there worth a second glance
well billie joe armstrong is making more money, cus tennaged girls dont like shredding, but i kinda see what ur saying
I agree about the whole judge on shred ability thing, but green day sold themselves out. Billie Joe is a shit guitarist because he gave up soloing just to make money, and he's not very good in the first place. Yngwie sucks ass because he has no soul in his music, its just some penis enlarging shred. Batio, Vai, Satch, and many other guitarists can and will shred, but they make music with feeling and emotion.(And for the Batio bashers, listen to his albums not just No boundaries. Rain Forest is a good example as a song) Most modern guitarists just play for the money and are shit guitarists for the reason that they make music just for money, not to express themselves.
The Mariachi Player of the Church of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartbreaker to join

Quote by soulfly_freak
men were given a brain and a penis, and only enough blood to use one at a time...

Member #2 of Rory Gallagher Fan Club PM dazzler16 to Join
why is he making millions as the lead guitarist of arguably the most popular band in the world

he's no lead guitarist, he's a guy with a guitar. people don't give a crap about his guitar playing, people like his songwriting.
Pamposh’s final question before drifting into a state of transcendent ecstasy was, “But Master, if everything is an illusion, then why does anything matter?”

To which the master replied, “It may all be an illusion, but it’s a very real illusion.”
Quote by FlyF1402
famous people like yngwie malmsteen, get so lost in shredding that what they're playing doesnt even sound musical anymore, its just random scales or arpeggios played really fast.

That's what they all say. I happen to occasionally like that style. It's meant to sound fast and classical. That's just the style. I could say that country music isn't musical because a song could have just 3 chords. It's just the style. Music is subjective just because you don't think it's music doesn't mean it's not.

Quote by FlyF1402
And everybody is always judging people like Billie Joe Armstrong because they can't shred, or at least choose not to in their songs, but in reality, Green day's music obviously appeals more to the general public than yngwie malmsteen, for example.

Again I don't hate Green Day but the style is punk and soloing is rarely used in it. And btw, their is a difference between soloing and shredding.

Quote by FlyF1402
And if the people who criticize Billie Joe are so much better, then why is he making millions as the lead guitarist of arguably the most popular band in the world, while the critics who can "shred" are sitting at home in their basement shredding away endlessly with no one caring except a few people on youtube.

Popularity doesn't equal talent. Britney Spears, Lindsey Lohan, Hilary Duff have gotten bigger hits then alot of bands such as Dream Theater.

Quote by FlyF1402
but the bottom line is you have to make music that people want to listen to.

No you don't.
Now the world can finally rest knowing that you have retired the art of shredding.

People gang up on greenday because ALL of their songs are so easy that all they need to know is power chords. There is no technicallity in their playing.
shredding is good in small doses (slash)
and your ability to shred does not effect your musical talent, I would take a david gilmour solo over malmsteen any day

ps green day sucks in my opinion
Durka
Bille joe is a ****en faggot he looks like a ****ing retard and your saying that playing ****en chords all day is musical? Bille Joe doesnt know how to play music. Yngiwe malmsteen worked hard all his life to be who he is and Billie joe probobly never ****en worked hard in his life. The only reason why he is famous because ****en mindless teenagers nowadays only liek ****en punk rock and rap.
My Gear:
Ibanez RG 370DX
Ibanez TS9Dx
Marshall Dsl 401

Quote by Draind
i've had my eye on the mesa boogie line, my price range is under $600.

Quote by batman123
maybe you could buy a picture of one for 600, and just pretend for awhile...

Quote by FlyF1402
Alright, no offense to all you shred fans out there, but I'm getting a little bit tired of everyone judging other guitarists on their "shredding" ability. Don't get me wrong, shredding can be very impressive, but alot of people I see on the internet and even famous people like yngwie malmsteen, get so lost in shredding that what they're playing doesnt even sound musical anymore, its just random scales or arpeggios played really fast. I saw a video of Yngwie malmsteen playing "the blues," and its definitely impressive, but it doesnt actually sound that good, and its definitly not bluesy sounding. And everybody is always judging people like Billie Joe Armstrong because they can't shred, or at least choose not to in their songs, but in reality, Green day's music obviously appeals more to the general public than yngwie malmsteen, for example. And if the people who criticize Billie Joe are so much better, then why is he making millions as the lead guitarist of arguably the most popular band in the world, while the critics who can "shred" are sitting at home in their basement shredding away endlessly with no one caring except a few people on youtube. And dont tell me that its because green day got luck, because thats a bunch of crap. Sure luck is involved, but the bottom line is you have to make music that people want to listen to.

Well, you really can't expect the uneducated masses to pick what is good. We all must, MUST understand there is a difference between "preferred/nice", and GOOD.

I'm not a shredder no, but my understanding is you get that good so you are no longer limited. Malmsteen is a balls to the wall kind of guy, his music reflects that. I don't really like it personally, but I can definately see why someone might.

This thread really has little point. The arguments are not well thought out, and people are just going to get pissed off. If you would like to have a rational discussion about this, think through your arguments, then head to the pit. But good like trying to have a rational argument with people on the internet.
Don't tell me what can not be done

Don't tell me what can be done, either.

I love you all no matter what.