Page 1 of 2
Firstly thanks to Dylan for running this for a good half a year.

So you have a good idea for a competition? Then here you can tell your ideas to the S&L community, and if you recieve a good response, go and start a sign up thread. This involves outlining the competition rules, (restrictions on structure etc.) themes, (love, death etc.) member requirements (e.g. Newbie comps means only users here for under 6months can enter) etc. And a sign up list, which you should update regularly as members sign up. Then what? When your roster is full, or you have as many competitors as you can keep track of, give them a due date for your pieces. Work within reason, but don't leave it too long either! (Usually its a working week, 5 days)

Types Of Competitions

Newbie Competition
A Newbie Competition is one established just for the new members of the Songwriting and Lyric's community. Usually, eligible competitors are those that have registered after a certain time period. And any type of piece (lyrics, poetry, prose) is eligible for being entered. There is no specific theme that competitors have to follow.

Point Distribution For Newbie Competitions:
1st Place- 3pts
2nd Place- 2pts
3rd Place- 1pt

Quicky Competition
A Quicky Competition is one established to be set up and run quickly. Any member of S&L is eligible to participate, as well as being able to submit any type of piece (as long as it is not ridiculously long). There is no specific theme that competitors have to follow. Pieces are usually due on the date the competition was established, or the day after, so that the poll can go up quick (hence the name).

Point Distribution For Quicky Competitions:
1st Place- 3pts
2nd Place- 2pts
3rd Place- 1pt

Regular Competitions
A Regular Competition makes up the majority of Songwriting & Lyric competitions. Any member of S&L is eligible to participate, but these competitions usually follow a specific theme. An example could be a political competition, where each competitor will have to write a piece about something political, whether it be about war, government, economy, etc.

Point Distribution For Regular Competitions:
1st Place- 4pts
2nd Place- 3pts
3rd Place- 2pts

Super Competitions
A Super Competition are usually competitions that are held around holiday's or designed to be on a special theme. Any member of S&L is eligible to participate, but these competitions usually follow a specific theme. An example could be the Halloween competition, where the theme would be to write a piece that pertains to Halloween in some way, whether it be ghosts, demons, vampires, trick-or-treating, witches, etc.

Point Distribution For Super Competitions:
1st Place- 5pts
2nd Place- 3pts

========================================================

Competition Rules

You can be eligible for any competition (as long as you meet requirements, such as for the newbie competition)
You have to submit your piece for the competition by the due date.
NEW RULE- If you do not submit your piece for the competition you signed up for by the due date, you will receive a deduction of 1pt. If you need an extra day due to reasons such as vacations or just being inable to get it in on time, you must notify the competition starter before the due date.
NEW RULE Pt.2- Competition starters MUST notify Jammydude (Jamie) by a PM or posting so in the Points thread for any competitors that did not send in a piece without an explanation so that those people can receive their deduction.

The Grand Championship

The Grand Championship will be triggered when someone hits the (30) point mark. This will halt the start of any new competitions and 1 vs. 1's. All competitions and 1 vs. 1's running during that time will be allowed to finish. No new competitions or 1 vs. 1's will be allow to begin again until the start of the next season, which will take about a week. The top 8 will then go into a one of a kind competition, using any piece they've ever wrote, with no specific competition rules. The winner of this competition will be declared The Grand Champion Of (Specific Season). The winner also gets instant access into the next grand championship.

Further Information

Polls need to be "public" this is activated when you create the poll. Towards the bottom of the poll posting thread is a check box 'Make poll public' check that.

The reasoning behind this:

- Clicking this box means that people can see who voted what. So that means there will be NO CHEATING. Now, I don't believe, or I wouldn't want to believe, that anybody here would actually cheat just to win an S&L Comp, but unfortunately, it has happened in the past and the sad truth is that people would cheat just to win a 1v1 against some person on the net. I am pointing no fingers AT ALL. But with this option, it means that people cannot cheat. They cannot.

If you wish to start a competition, please firstly put your idea forward in this thread, it will then be discussed, and the final decision is made as to whether you have the go ahead.

To put up a poll you click "New Thread" there you place the required songs into the poll, to make it easier to distinguish, try putting them in different colours, preferably in red, first, then blue. Then scroll down and tick the box marked "Make a poll?" Then type in the number of piece that is in the poll. Click submit thread; now you're greeted with the poll edit screen, firstly fill in the small question bar at the top with anything. Then type in the pieces titles (in the order they were posted) Its also helpful to write the colour too. Now scroll down and check the "Make poll public" box. The reason is explained above. Once that is done, your ready to click submit. And viola you have a poll.

Seasonal Comps

Further to the suggestion that we should have a seasonal Comp here are other "Holidays" we could have as comps...

Martin Luther King Day - Jan 15th
Burns Night - Jan 25th
Valentines Day - Feb 14th
Chinese New Year - Feb 18th
Presidents Day - Feb 19th
Mardi Gras - Feb 20th
April Fools - Apr 1st
First Day of Spring - May 1st
Memorial Day - May 28th
Longest Day (Summer) - Jun 21st
Labor Day - Sep 3rd
First Day of Autumn/Fall - Sep 23rd
Columbus Day - Oct 8th/12th
Guy Fawkes Day - Nov 5th
Veterans/Armistice Day - Nov 11th
Solstice - Dec 21st
Xmas Day - Dec 25th
New Years - Dec 31st Jan 1st
Filth, pure filth... That's what you are.
Last edited by The Hurt Within at Mar 31, 2007,
I say we keep the seasonal comps, down to four.

Valentines Day
Halloween
Christmas
First Day of Spring

Or, find a big one each season.
www.facebook.com/longlostcomic
They were there last season, and its just a guide incase we get low on comps being run.
I have a few comp ideas I'm tossing around, here's one I don't really want to run, but if any one else want to just post that your gonna use it.

You sign-up, and you have to mimic the style of the person who signs-up below you. Pretty basic rules.

EDIT: another idea, an alternate ending comp, I'll put details in later.
Last edited by stratkat at Feb 7, 2007,
I want to do a small thing like an S+L title belt.

Say, THW starts with it, as he won last time, and competitors from the contest forum can challenge him to take the belt off him. Each time the holder retains the belt, he/she gets +1 point. They must retire the belt after 5 fights, and it will go to whoever I deem worthy or something. If a challenger beats a title belt holder, he/she gets +3 points and the whole thing starts again.

I think it'd just be nice to have osme sort of regular 1 vs 1 going on, and it would add some more competition to this place, seeing as hardly anyone is competing much this season.

Thoughts, especially Steves?
Damn fine idea, yeah I'm game for that. I agree with everything. Just one qualm, with choosing a new belt holder after 5 fights. I dunno if it should be given away, perhaps the current highest points holder should take it over, as they are like the top seed. Or perhaps go back to last seasons results and gift it to 2nd/3rd/4th depending on whether they lost trying to take the belt.

?
Well yeah, I was meaning to take that sort of route if someone holds onto the belt for 5 fights. different pieces each fight, so you can't just use one best piece.

THW if you PM me a piece, and suggest someone for a first challenger. I want only contest regs though, 'cos this is for the contests forum
Quote by The Hurt Within
Damn fine idea, yeah I'm game for that. I agree with everything. Just one qualm, with choosing a new belt holder after 5 fights. I dunno if it should be given away, perhaps the current highest points holder should take it over, as they are like the top seed. Or perhaps go back to last seasons results and gift it to 2nd/3rd/4th depending on whether they lost trying to take the belt.

?

Yes.

Go with that.

I do like belts...
I have a suggestion about the belt, if it's not already been decided how it's gonna work. There should be a comp every 4 or so months to decide who gets the belt, if the belt holder doesn't enter the comp then the winner of the comp will still take it anyway. You'd also be able to challenge him/her to a 1vs1 for the belt, if the challenger wins he/she gets the belt, if the belt holder wins he/she gets 5 or so of the challengers points.
Last edited by stratkat at Feb 15, 2007,
Well I don't think it would take away peoples points if they lose a belt match, they just won't gain any.

It would be- belt holder, if he/she retains the belt, gets +1 each time they retain it. this means they can gain +5 overall before they must give up the belt. If you beat the belt holder- you gain +3, and the belt, thus allowing you a chance to gain +5 points in the 5 games of defending the title.
I was thinking about this belt idea, and it did stike me that +3 points for taking the belt is a bit much, perhaps just +2? I mean if they take the belt and then win all 5 challenge matches too, they'll have 8pts. Thats alot, I know taking 1 off isn't that big of a deal, but 7 is getting more resonable. I also think (sorry Ret) that after 5 it should be gifted to last seasons second highest, for the simple reason that it gives this seasons main challenger a chance to take the belt as the first challenger, i.e. Ret.

Sound alright?
Well yes, after 5 that was what I was sort of looking for, either that or the highest placed person in the points table, because there's a chance their could be several belt holders before the season ends.
S+L Championship Belt?
S+L Masters Belt?
S+L Contests Belt?
S+L Title Belt?
S+L Ranking Belt?
S+L Belt?
S+L Forum Belt?

I don't know what to call it.....
The S+L Champions Belt? That seems to describe the actual winner better, no?
hey i was just thinking... it would be cool to run the newbie comps regularly... like once a month... it would bring more people to the contest forum and would give the newbies something to aim for... which i think would encourage improvement and help build there confidence until they're comfortable entering regular comps... maybe even name the winner Newbie of the Month? ... i think the current 4 month criteria for being a newbie would work.

anyways yeah what do you think? i think it would go over well judging by the response to the current newbie comp.

and if nobody else wants to bother i'd be willing to run it myself.
oh wow, thanks bassbeat, i think its a cool idea, get us newbs into the comps, and interact with the community more. cuz ive never really been in a comp b4, so i figured id try the N America vs Europe, and pple just wanted the vets in there, and thx to THW for setting up a newb comp, im still able to compete in something, where i actually have some sort of chance.a newb vs a vet isnt to fair...so yea i support the regular newb comp idea
Yeah I do too man, its a great idea, we can try for one a month, and see how it gets on, might fine that thats too quick. But we'll see. Yeah go for it, if you cant run it one month, let me know I'll do it instead. Nice Idea.
alright cool... i'll start signups on the third monday of each month... to keep it spaced out consistently.
shouldn't we have the last holiday, easter? or will that promote religious tension and rivalry and what not?
when im with you, there's nothing I wouldn't do, i just wanna be you're only one. im gasping out of straws, taken aback by what i saw that night before when we were all alone...
^i'm not positive about this... but i think they picked just like four certain holidays to do comps for... to kind of spread them out... because the holiday comps are considered big comps... so they dont want too many running too close to each other.
How about we do an April fools comp. Basically it would consist of the writer taking a certain fact or news event and writing just that an April fool about it. Say stonghenge fell down, or canada is gonna invade alaska. I think it will be a creative comp.
What about genre competitions?

Punk
Folk
Country
Spiritual, etc.

I think it would be good overall, because someone who likes Punk for instance is used to writing punk, but when he or she tries her hand at something else, they may find they have a knack for something else...Remember, we wouldn't have had the British Invasion had the black bluesmen of the South USA not toured in Europe and the UK....
I like the idea, it would make for a different style of comp. Take your pick Alia, and start it as you wiah.
Steve, request; as Spring approaches (21st) I am thinking of beginning the Spring comp. But looking at the forum now, it seems a bit full with other contests and whatnot. So, shall I open the sign-up thread now, then wait for the contests to dry up before starting it, or wait until they dry up then put the sign-up thread on?
I have an idea. How about a competition where all the pieces have to be a certain type (structured a certain way, if you will). I was thinking perhaps in the near future a comp where all pieces must be a sestina. They call for the writer to be very creative with limited words. Any thoughts on this, or other structures to use?
What about a competition where everybody reveals one of their biggest secrets, but bury it underneath a pile of metaphors and similes? It could be some sort of helpful release, or something. It could maybe be fun. Maybe?

Maybe.

It could be the "who can share their secrets without actually telling anybody" competition.

haha.

That's lame stuff.
Last edited by Final at Mar 9, 2007,
Quote by Final
What about a competition where everybody reveals one of their biggest secrets, but bury it underneath a pile of metaphors and similes? It could be some sort of helpful release, or something. It could maybe be fun. Maybe?

Maybe.

It could be the "who can share their secrets without actually telling anybody" competition.

haha.

That's lame stuff.

I kind of like that challenge....actually.

*Racking brain to figure out what my BIGGEST secret is....*
Yeah I don't have a big secret... maybe just a secret, that holds th epiece together but like you said, under a load of metaphors. That wouuld definitely help me practice that technique
Page 1 of 2