If you had around $500 to spend on a combo amp, which means you can afford a middle-high end SS one or a lower end Tube one, is there really much of a difference? I know everyone says Tube amps are better, but is that mainly compared to lower end SS amps? How do better SS amps compare to similar priced Tube amps?
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Depends on WHICH tube amp/SS you're getting.

Just get a decent used tube amp.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
You have a Schecter Hellraiser which has EMGs. You need a tube amp with active pickups or your setup is going to sound like crap.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
Quote by wingedgopher
You have a Schecter Hellraiser which has EMGs. You need a tube amp with active pickups or your setup is going to sound like crap.

Shut up.

People really exagerrate the whole "EMGS NEED T00BZ" theory. Not as much as "Tube >SS" one though.

I'd take a nice SS amp over something like a Valveking any day.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by timi_hendrix
Shut up.

People really exagerrate the whole "EMGS NEED T00BZ" theory. Not as much as "Tube >SS" one though.

I'd take a nice SS amp over something like a Valveking any day.

You sound so knowledgable. I can't imagine how I'm going to find a way to make fun of you.

Oh yeah, you're a ****ing idiot.

If you knew anything about the way active pickups work you would understand that they are designed to work with tube amps and therefore with sound infinitely better with a tube amp. It's the same way with overdrive pedals.
Quote by SForbz-Rockstar
You're a bald gopher with wings that lives in the countryside, working on a farm.

Quote by Bubban
Having sex in a pool full of jello? How strangely erotic. No, not just any sex, butts-*gets shot*

God bless the underdog and God bless the antihero.
You can get a good, used mid range tube amp for $500 (presuming it's US$). I'd even take an Ashdown Fallen Angel over most SS amps I've heard but that's me. What is most important is what it sounds like to you, you're the one that has to play it. Sure the majority prefer tube amps, I'm one of them too but I do know people (well metalheads so kinda people) that prefer SS.
Well my SS amp is a good one, cost me $550. My local guitar shop owner raved about how good it was and that SS amps work better for people in apartments because, according to him, you need to crank a Tube amp to near full volume to get the best sound, where an SS amp sounds the same at all volumes. He also said this Crate amp was the first one after Crate and Ampeg were bought out by the same company, so he said it was basically an Ampeg amp on the inside, with the Crate name on the outside.

Basically I am just questioning his logic/advice and seeing if I spent my $$$ on the best amp in that price range. It's too late to return it, this is more for my sanity.
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Quote by wingedgopher
You sound so knowledgable. I can't imagine how I'm going to find a way to make fun of you.

If I had room in my sig, this would definitely go into it . Damn you 250 character limit! *shakes fist*
Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by utsapp89
^I'd let a pro look at it. Once you get into the technicalities of screws...well, it's just a place you don't want to be, friend.
Quote by Staz80
Well my SS amp is a good one, cost me $550. My local guitar shop owner raved about how good it was and that SS amps work better for people in apartments because, according to him, you need to crank a Tube amp to near full volume to get the best sound, where an SS amp sounds the same at all volumes. He also said this Crate amp was the first one after Crate and Ampeg were bought out by the same company, so he said it was basically an Ampeg amp on the inside, with the Crate name on the outside.

Basically I am just questioning his logic/advice and seeing if I spent my $$$ on the best amp in that price range. It's too late to return it, this is more for my sanity.

Most tube amps at low volumes > solid states at any volume. Just because you don't get the best sound doesn't mean you don't get a wonderful sound.
My Gear:
-Schecter C-1 Plus (Vintage Sunburst)
-B-52 AT-212 Tube Combo
-ZW-44 Zakk Wylde Overdrive
-Digitech RP350 Multi-Effects Pedal
-Hamer Slammer Strat Copy
Ummm. The output of the pickup is going to boost the amp, regaurdless of tube or SS signal path. Its just that most tube preamps sound better than SS.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
i'm with timi- i'd much rather have a higher end SS than a low-end tube.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Peavey Valveking
Ibanez VBT700 V-Blade
Ibanez RG220B
Dean Vendetta 1.0
Peavey Valveking 112
Digitech XMM Metal Master
Digitech RP80 Multi Effects
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Quote by Staz80

lol first rule, never trust the guys at guitar shops, NEVER!

Yes tube amps need to be cranked to get their full potential but most still sound good at lower volume, especially if they have a master volume so you can still crank the preamp. I'm willing to bet he never told you that tube amps can be attenuated too for a good saturation at low volume either? And SS do start to crap out when really pushed too so no they don't sound the same at any volume, until they crap out cause of clipping they will generally sound the same though. Like I said I prefer tube amps, even at lower volume so I'm going to tell you that you could have done better but if you like the amp then all is good.
Quote by wingedgopher

If you knew anything about the way active pickups work you would understand that they are designed to work with tube amps and therefore with sound infinitely better with a tube amp. It's the same way with overdrive pedals.

how?

since you know all
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
lyke, zomgxorz u cud by an Marshle MG!!lolZ!

But really, you could get a nice SS or tube amp for that price.
The Ashdown Fallen Angel DSP 40 is goin' for 399.99 new, that's 40W all tube into a 12" speaker, which is enough for small to medium gigs.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-Fallen-Angel-40-DSP-Guitar-Combo?sku=485043

I guess Peavey has a new Windsor coming out, that retails for 399.99, so it'll probably be about 300 new on MF. It'll be badass as shit, cuz, well, Windsors are badass as shit.

You could get a hybrid Rocktron Vendetta (tube overdrive channel) for 450, 2x12, 160W.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=480949

You could get a Pignose G40V all tube 1x10 40W for 319.99
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pignose-G40V-Tube-Amp?sku=489052

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG75G3-G3-Series-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=480334
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

boy, i swore OD pedals didn't drive tubes harder. but since wingedgopher knows everything, i must be wrong.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by Unskathed
lyke, zomgxorz u cud by an Marshle MG!!lolZ!

But really, you could get a nice SS or tube amp for that price.
The Ashdown Fallen Angel DSP 40 is goin' for 399.99 new, that's 40W all tube into a 12" speaker, which is enough for small to medium gigs.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ashdown-Fallen-Angel-40-DSP-Guitar-Combo?sku=485043

I guess Peavey has a new Windsor coming out, that retails for 399.99, so it'll probably be about 300 new on MF. It'll be badass as shit, cuz, well, Windsors are badass as shit.

You could get a hybrid Rocktron Vendetta (tube overdrive channel) for 450, 2x12, 160W.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=480949

You could get a Pignose G40V all tube 1x10 40W for 319.99
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Pignose-G40V-Tube-Amp?sku=489052

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Randall-RG75G3-G3-Series-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=480334

read all the posts, he has an amp!
Quote by soccerdude3465
Most tube amps at low volumes > solid states at any volume. Just because you don't get the best sound doesn't mean you don't get a wonderful sound.

Also, if you get a tube amp with a master volume, you can turn the tubes to full blast but control the output volume. (sound just as good at lower volumes).
Quote by Nocomment
Also, if you get a tube amp with a master volume, you can turn the tubes to full blast but control the output volume. (sound just as good at lower volumes).

That only cranks the preamp tubes, not the power amp tubes so it's not as good as full saturation. It's just a lot of people seem to think tube amps sound bad at low volume, generally they don't sound bad they just sound better at high volume.
This is kind of a dumb question. Of course a high end SS is going to sound better than a low end tube. High end SS can run pretty high in cost and quality, but a lowend tube amp can cost $300 and sound like fizz.
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
lol like your sig, its classic, and to stay on topic, i have limited experience with tube amps , but i would just read some reviews on the less expensive tube amps and compare?
But can you really trust anyone who has spent so much time doing maths homework that they express their opinions in mathematical symbols to save themselves typing two words.

Tube>SS is hardly a well thought out argument. It's not even English.
Quote by The devil at the crossroads
E|-------------------------------------------1--
B|-----------------------------------1--4--
G|-------------------------1-3-4--
D|------------------1-3----
A|--------1-2-3----
E|-1-4-----

Just move it around the fretboard
So what are some of the very best SS combos? All I can think of is the Roland JC (guitar teacher has it, it is brilliant)

are there any other REALLY good ones?
^^

hmm...

Randall G2 or G3

Ampeg amps (I don't know the models, I've just heard of them)

Roland JC120

I forgot the other brands but they're good for SS...
If I had $500 and needed an amp, I'd get the best one I could find on the used market. And I can pretty much guarantee you that it would be all tube.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by wingedgopher

You sound so knowledgeable. I know exactly how I'm going to own you.

You're a presumptous, self-righteous dick.

If you knew that the only thing an "active" pickup does in contrast to a passive was incorporating a signal booster (preamp) into the pickup circuit itself, you would know enough to not post stupid shit on forums that make you sound, and look, monumentally retarded.

Active pickups aren't "designed to work with tube amps", it's just that an active pickup's output signal is stronger, and a high-gain tube amp can handle the higher output better. This isn't to say that all tube amps can handle EMG's or actives. It all depends on how the circuit of the amp is constructed, and whether or not you can judge if your amp is good for active pickups or not. Several professionals run EMG's through high-end SS amps, and they get decent tone. So please, go play an EMG-equipped guitar through a Fender Blues Deluxe (or if you want to actually answer TS's question, a Peavey Valveking) and tell me it sounds "infinitely better" than the same guitar through a Line6 Vetta II. Eat shit.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
Quote by aequitasveritas
Several professionals run EMG's through high-end SS amps, and they get decent tone.

Who the hell would want 'decent' tone? Anything below 'great' is just not good enough.
Quote by wingedgopher

Well as your insult was so crap, I won't try very hard either. U R n00b.

I didn't say they wouldn't sound better. I was saying that people (i.e. you) exagerrate the difference in EMG's performance through SS amps as opposed to valve amps. EMGs will only sound "like crap" through an SS amp if it sucks. You can get decent tones out of EMGs with a solid state amp.

Oh, and from what I gather, OD pedals were designed before SS amps were widely produced. Hence they couldn't really be designed for anything other than valve amps, eh?

A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Quote by wingedgopher

but all pickups are pretty much designed to work with tube amps. any pickup will sound (generally) better through a kickass tube amp.

That's a bit like saying "Fords drive better when there isn't snow on the road"...

Quote by soccerdude3465

+1

Quote by Nocomment

no, that's getting you preamp overdrive, not power tube.

Quote by tubab0y
boy, i swore OD pedals didn't drive tubes harder. but since wingedgopher knows everything, i must be wrong.

if you crank the level on them, they'll drive your preamp tubes harder, yes.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
^

I read down this thread and died a little inside...

Not that I aim to "pwn" anyone, I just don't want dodgy advice passed off as gospel...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I havnt really read the thread lol.
Just this;
Originally Posted by wingedgopher

What a tool.

Theres probably a lot of n00bish stuff in here. People just dont understand the advantages/disadvantages of a tube or SS amp. Or the amp that suits their needs for a certain situation...etc.

A perfect example is all the "Get an Epi VJ! Theyre all t00b!". If I had a nickel for every time thats been suggested to a kid who was looking at MicroCubes...
I dont know shit, but i say get the amp YOU think sounds the best with your current rig. SS or tube won't matter much if YOU like it. My 2cents.
Quote by matt bickerton
So what are some of the very best SS combos? All I can think of is the Roland JC (guitar teacher has it, it is brilliant)

are there any other REALLY good ones?

Line 6 Vetta (yes, line 6 do actually have some good amps)
The Stuff!
Randall also makes very good SS amps.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
Quote by kurdtkobaign
A perfect example is all the "Get an Epi VJ! Theyre all t00b!". If I had a nickel for every time thats been suggested to a kid who was looking at MicroCubes...

agreed. and you'd have about $7. which'd be awesome.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?