I have been playing for about a year and a half. I have been in a couple bands, but I do not feel that I am making the progress I should. I went to a place that gave lessons, which I will probably enroll in, but in the mean time I was wondering what is a good book to learn standard notation from. I have been playing from tab, and I realized that I really need some sort of time. I used to play saxophone and piano, but that was years ago and I have never read standard notation for a guitar.
just go into your local music shop and have a loook at the books they offer
You cannot choose the little time you're given in this world. You enter bare and unclothed, provided only with intelligence enough to choose how you spend your time. You always have a choice. Always. Though be warned, your choice can rarely be undone
A good way to pick it up is get a classical guitar book. I got one from barnes & nobel while in the states, with 101 songs or something. By practicing alot you get to know where the notes are on the guitar. I like standard notation over tabs anyday, you get the melody, and you can play it on other instruments. Gentlemanly!!