Is it possible to build an practice all-tube combo amp from scratch? Something low watt for apartment playing, but has good all-tube sound? Also something that won't clear out the piggy bank like most all-tube amps would do. Any instructions, tips, hints, links, etc, would be great. Thanks!
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Yes it's possible, but -
1. Do your research. Learn how to discharge caps (important if you don't want to die).
2. Look at kits. They will be easier for the first time builder.
3. Make sure you understand WHY and HOW something works before you start building.
4. Find somebody with a good background in electronics who can help you if something goes wrong.
5. Post pics. And possibly soundclips.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
They sell kits for these? Anyone have any links? And I build computers for a living, so I am used to assembling electronic devices, but I would do my research first. But before I spent a lot of time on that, wanted to know if it was even possible or practical first.
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
torresengineering.com sell kits for these.
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
it's definitely possible, but not realistic. it'll cost more than a basic tube amp like a blues junior.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
why not pickup something like a epi valve junior and just mod that for what ya ever sound your after. $100 5watt all tube head cant go wrong what your after
My Gear

Digitech GNX2
Jasmine by Takamine Acoustic
Agile LP3000 Prestige
Crate MX65R
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500M
I wouldn't recommend tube amps from scrath unless you know what you're doing and how not to kill yourself

Epi Valve Junior my friend
You won't save money unless you're replicating some super rare amp that would go for alot. If you don't wanna break the bank, the Epi VJ is the way to go.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
I second the Epi VJr. I love mine and you can do A LOT to it. I think I've spent more on mods than the darn thing is worth.

It'll do what you're thinking and the pentode/triode mod will let you cut the volume even more if you want to play fully cranked at your apartment.
American Ash Deluxe Tele
Squire Standard Strat w/ Texas Specials
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb RI
'53 Fender Deluxe 5C3
California Dreamer
Valve Junior
2X12 Avatar w/ V30's