ahoy, i have been playing guitar for a couple years now, i like to discover new things and try them out as often as possible. i like to play a lot of blues and blues based music. Today i discovered that aswell as being able to play the major and minor pentatonic scales of the root chord thruoghout (with plenty of other passing tones added in) i can change the scale i'm using over the IV and V chords, specifically to major scales with the root of those chords. But i am not sure exactly which ones, so i have just been playing major pentatonics and trying to add in mixolydian notes and lydian and notes in various places to figure out which exact major scale is sounding good over each chord change. So for example in twelve bar E up comes the B chord and i'll be playing B major pentatonic and trying to see which other major scale notes sound good, and then comes the A and i'll be doing the same with an A major pentatonic and various passing tones, but to me none of them sound drastically wrong, and i guess that's a good thing, if it sounds right it is right and it's an argument for being more creative, but if there are any theory buffs out there can you please tell me 'technically' speaking, or strictly according to theory, which would be the right major scales to be playing, if you had to use the word 'right'. Thanks you guys,
haha ahoy. god i love pirates
Quote by screamingfool34
people here are idiot.
Quote by Mr_H_MASTER
the only good wahs out there are Slashs, Zacks, and Dimebags.
Quote by evan1234567
im to tired and confused to comprehend what you said.
BLUES SCALE!!!

The best scale there ever was.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
you've completely misunderstood justin, blues scale is what i was broadly refering too when i said minor/major pentatonic with passing tones etc. i'm talking about something different now.
Ok, well Im not totally sure what you mean here then. Like in the 12 bar blues, you would normally change key every chord change. Really not much is changing since the key usually adds or takes away like one note which doesnt make much difference. Ya sorry though, im not really getting your question cause it seems like you have it figured out.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
In a blues in E, you'd use E mixolydian over E7, A mixolydian over A7 and B mixolydian over B7. Most of the time, those scales are combined with the E blues scale.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
ive heard arabic and indian scales over blues riffs, sounds f-in sweet, so long as its in keys it sounds as good if not better than minor pentatonic or blues scales, if ur as good as u say u are u should be able to be as creative as u like...
Quote by captainblues
but if there are any theory buffs out there can you please tell me 'technically' speaking, or strictly according to theory, which would be the right major scales to be playing, if you had to use the word 'right'. Thanks you guys,

Yeah, if you're using the diatonic scale, you can think of the Blues as having 3
key changes over the I, IV and V chords. You'd play the Mixolydian mode for each.
That's what generally works best over dom7 chords. By playing the major pent over
each you're just using a subset of the Mixolydian.

Note that if you play the IV Mixolydian over the I, you're actually playing the I Dorian.
That also sounds good.