I'm getting a new guitar, and I was pretty set on the Fender Standard HSS Strat but my friend recently got an Epiphone Les Paul and its pretty sweet. Which would you guys recommend? Also, what about other Epiphones like an Explorer or a V? I play Classic Rock (Hendrix, Zeppelin), some blues just for fun, Hard Rock (GNR stuff), and some classic metal and metallica type metal.

Edit: Also, I've got around 400-500 dollars to spend. (American)

Co-Founder of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM me or TechnicolorBoy to join.

My music --> Check it out!
Last edited by maybe_I_am at Feb 1, 2007,
SG! best epiphone model there is.

EDIT: I WILL BE EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTED IF YOU DO NOT GET THE SG! YOU CAN TELL IM SERIOUS BECAUSE THIS IS IN ALL CAPS! THE SG IS PERFECT FOR YOU
Either, but I've never played any other Epiphones than a Les Paul, so I was wondering if the Explorer, V and SG are about the same quality as the Epi Les Paul.

Co-Founder of The Weakerthans Fan Club
PM me or TechnicolorBoy to join.

My music --> Check it out!
anyone of those guitars is good, your just gonna have to replace the pickups at some point. the difference between gibsons and epis, as ive been told, is the body of a gibson is real high quality mahogany, while the epis, are mahogany and mahogany/alder. that and the finish on gibson guitars is thin nitrocellulose, while the epis have a thicker lacquer finish. that gives a the epis a somewhat darker sound, which is probably what your looking for
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
Jackson or Schecter.

EDIT: Now that I think of it, I think you should go for the LP.
Bands to see before I die:
Iron Maiden
Foo Fighters
Megadeth
Reel Big Fish
Rush
Streetlight Manifesto

Gear:
Epi LP Standard
Washburn Strat
Line 6 Spider (Yes, I know it's bad)

GAS:
Ibanez RG3570Z
Digitech Whammy
Last edited by SupremeACL at Feb 1, 2007,
Going out on a limb here, but I think snowblind190 likes SG's?

A MIM HSS Strat with an upgraded humbucker pup would give you the classic Strat sound in the neck/mid, but would allow you to put something hotter in the bridge for heavier stuff. Just a suggestion.

Have you tried both guitars? They have very different feels and you might like one over the other. Sometimes sound isn't the deciding factor.
My gear...

Samick Les Paul (AV6VB) Guitar w/ SD Alnico2/JB
Marshall AVT150H halfstack
Schecter Stiletto Elite-4 Bass
Ampeg BA112 Bass Amp
Quote by blacklp
anyone of those guitars is good, your just gonna have to replace the pickups at some point. the difference between gibsons and epis, as ive been told, is the body of a gibson is real high quality mahogany, while the epis, are mahogany and mahogany/alder. that and the finish on gibson guitars is thin nitrocellulose, while the epis have a thicker lacquer finish. that gives a the epis a somewhat darker sound, which is probably what your looking for

Gibsons usually use one piece of quartersawn mahogany.
Higher end Epi's use a couple of pieces of mahogany, and the Lower end, like the LP Special and SG Special use mahogany and alder pieces.
The finish doesn't really affect the tone in the way you're talking about..

Quote by The Casualty
If you're going to be playing Metallica, the LP would be better suited.

I've seen tons of photos of Kirk Hammet playing a Strat.
Quote by forsaknazrael

I've seen tons of photos of Kirk Hammett playing a Strat.

The only time Kirk uses a Strat is when they play The Unforgiven (which is quite often), and that's not the heaviest of songs.

Some times too though, he plays the ESP "Vintage Series", which is basically a Strat with different pups (Which he used in the One video). Though I assume he preferred an actual strat, and put EMGs in it.

Last edited by The Casualty at Feb 1, 2007,
Even though I am an absolute Strat-fan to the heart, Id recommend a LP. YOu like GNR and Zeppelin, both of which the guitarists, page and slash, used LP's. Get an LP
Traynor YCS-50>EHX SMM w/ Hazarai>EHX DMM>EHX Holy Grail>EHX Small Stone>EHX Big Muff PI (NY)>EHX Pulsar>Ibanez TS-9DX>Echo Park>Ibanez Vintage Tubeking>Fulltone OCD>Zvex Fuzz Factory> Roto-Machine>Fulltone Wah>MJM London Fuzz>Fender Strat
i really recommend the HSS strat..i was in the same dilemma you were in but only a few months back...i went with the MIM strat and love the versitilty..and i get a sweet allman brothers tone but idk if thats what your into...anyway its a great guitar and just to make sure i tried out many others before getting it including the epi LPs
Fender MIM Strat (Red)
Takamine G3S0S
Peavy Backstage

The^
Who

If your willing to spend $250 more you could get and american made highway 1 hss strat that is better than an Epi LP or a Standard hss strat. I just played all three recently and the highway 1 really has a nice tone and it is very versatile.
I had the same delema a few days ago and I went with the strat. I tried the epiphone les paul on the store and noticed how I didin't like the feel of the neck and It makes it hard to go pass the 15 fret. Then I tried the strat, it felt amazing and the sound was warmer than the epiphone. So I picked the strat.
I'd probably get a HSS Strat if I was you.

To be honest though, if your mainstay is bluesy and Hendrixy, then a standard Strat. If you want Metallica and Led Zeppelin then a Les Paul.

If you play half and half, like I say the HSS Strat.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
What amp do you have?

That's the much more important question.

I can't emphasize that enough.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
^yes the amp is a big deal in this

and i say go with the LP, much better guitar in my opinon but the probably because i &*%#ing HATE fender and the strat with a burning passion...

but i do like fender picks -.-

BUT NOT STRATS!!
Quote by snowblind190
SG! best epiphone model there is.

EDIT: I WILL BE EXTREMELY DISSAPOINTED IF YOU DO NOT GET THE SG! YOU CAN TELL IM SERIOUS BECAUSE THIS IS IN ALL CAPS! THE SG IS PERFECT FOR YOU

+1, SG's are, well, the sex. They are insanely versatile, and changing the pups will make one even better.

But if you are more into classic rock, like Zeppelin, and hard rock like GnR, go for the LP. It suits your style well.
Epi LP STD is crappy guitar - Fender MIM eats it for breakfast but EPI Vlying V '67 is really good guitar - I liked it . Also Epi's Explorers are really good guitars but I don't know what do you like .
Get a tele and put a humbucker in the neck.

Tele's are my friends...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man