I am a fan Steve Vai's music but I can't really afford a good ibanez so I was going to spend a few hundred and put in a tremolo unit as well as a Humbucker in the bridge....what do you guys think?...what humbucker would be worth looking at?
what amp? what strat?
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
if you dont have a fat strat ( or whatever i plays les pauls) your gonna have to cut a big chuck of guitar(well not that big but still) out of your guitar to fit a hb, and installing a trem will require you to cut yet another chunk of your guitar out too, so best of luck with that.
You get nothing! You lose! Good day sir!
i agree go with a lower priced ibanez or schecter or jackson or one of those shreddy things, and replace the pickups
hmm....I don't mind making my strat more fun to play. I would like to buy a prestige if I ever have the money. But my amp is a Marshall DSL 50.....and my Strat is a basic MIM standard
i just saw a pic of your guitar, to put a hb and trem in would require major surgery, so i hope either you are a luthier-in-training or you know a good tech.
A strat's a strat. The process of ruining your guitar won't get you very close to Vai's tone. I suggest you save up and get a cheap 'shred' guitar, or sell the strat and buy one. It's like buying a camper van and then realising you want to break the land speed record - you'll end up with a ****ed chassis and you'll still fail.

Good luck anyway

Jimbob78
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by blacklp
i just saw a pic of your guitar, to put a hb and trem in would require major surgery, so i hope either you are a luthier-in-training or you know a good tech.

actually, most MIM strats are HSH routed under the guard.

TS u can peak underneath the guard to see.

routing for the bridge is another story. you might want to put locking tuners on instead. at least u can use the trem more and stay in tune that way.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
dood. im a huge Vai fan to. i use a left handed ibanez w/e with metal master distortion and the original wah wah pedal. so, just get a cheap ibanez or something like that. and youll be set! xD
Quote by Krazy_KoRn
dood. im a huge Vai fan to. i use a left handed ibanez w/e with metal master distortion and the original wah wah pedal. so, just get a cheap ibanez or something like that. and youll be set! xD

Not really...
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
I'd recommend you save up for an RG1570 (they're not that expensive) and if possible some new pickups with that.

You will get the Vai tone by putting in an EVO bucker in the bridge (though you'll need a new pickguard), as Vai's guitar is made from Alder. Getting a FR would require major surgery, so I'd just use the normal whammy and be very careful (EVH said that when he had a normal trem rather than letting it snap back to place after pulling a divebomb or something, he'd bring it back in, which'd help keeping tune).
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Prestige RG's are cheaper than USA strats, in Australia anyway. Especially when you buy them second hand like I did, I got mine for about the price of a new Mexican strat. I recommend the RG1570 dude.
Ibanez RG1570
Fender Mexican Fat Strat

Engl Thunder 50 Reverb combo
Engl Classic Combo 350C
Line 6 Flextone III
Roland Microcube

Line 6 Podxt Live
Marshall Guv'nor