so im new to the bass im a good guitar player but my friend needed somone to play bass for his new band i said i would give it a shot since bass should be easyier than guitar.. is this really the case or am i over confident? and what should i be able to aply from my gutiar playin to bass playing?
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Cmstar90: when u seem to figure it out in seconds
since you said your good at guitar, you could show off and do improvised bass solos, lol
Quote by Gunpowder
The Pit is to intelligence what a black hole is to light; it's devoid of reason and logic, and nothing can escape it's shadowy depths. Once you enter, you cannot leave.
haha i could im watchin vids of bass players tryin to figure out whats good to play so far i've gatherd they play alot of ovtaves and it looks fun with slappin technics
Cmstar90: i have too lisen to a song for hours just to figure out of one part it sound and how to move my fingers tso that it sounds that way
Ok, first off bass =/= easy. Different yes, easy no. In some ways, if you want to excel, its harder. Unless you are happy in root note hell.

Your knowledge of chords and scales will be helpful. Solos will be similar to lead guitar but your fingering technigues (left hand) are slightly different. Rhythm and providing that rhythm foundation for the music is more important than guitar. Remember you are the bridge between the drums and the rest of the band. You are going to have to lock in with the drummer in a very solid way as a bass player.

Play bass because you want and love to play bass, not because you have to. Too many people take up bass because of a need in the band not because they want to. Some of these people end up very good bass players, but others seem to feel they were "demoted"; these make very poor and frustrated players.
Quote by anarkee

Play bass because you want and love to play bass, not because you have to. Too many people take up bass because of a need in the band not because they want to. Some of these people end up very good bass players, but others seem to feel they were "demoted"; these make very poor and frustrated players.

Very much agreed upon, I first started playing bass because my friend needed a bass player for his band, I did it and although always want to play guitar I was still somewhat happy with it. Now the band sortof fell apart in a way and Im not playin bass in it but Im sure as hell glad I started.

And anarkee pretty much summons up everything else well
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
just stick something in the hole and wiggle it around until you feel something poking out then push it hard.

Quote by gallagher2006
I seriously cant begin to tell you how refreshing it is to get some briliiant help from this site for once!

Thats about me
Watch some wooten, go cry, then recooperate. Which trailing off for a moment, we had a convo at school today and the guy that introduced it is like the head of oxford's music academy and plays bass, he checked out our jazz band and played a song for us that made me and the other bassist hang our heads in same, and I've been playing for a couple years so.....
But your going to want to check out how to use your left and right hand in perfect harmony, and yes, I as a bassist love octaves, I as a composer also love octaves though soo..... Check your wrist allignment also, don't want to get carpel tunnel syndrome.
whenever we have band practice i always steal our bassist's bass and play, idk why but bass just clicks for me, i've been playing guitar for a few years and i guess once u play guitar u can basically play bass too and vice versa, and playing bass is not a step down from guitar, its almost like playing a different style, in fact if ur not one of those bassist who just plays the octaves of what the guitarist is playing its like soloing almost, or maybe thats just the way i play idk

i really need to get a bass
thanks for the advice guy .... and i never hang my head in shame i say to my self i'll be playin like that soon and im never wrong
yes i have heard him and i dont care if i saw some one playin sixty-fourth notes at 216Bpm if they can do it i can do it!
well, i had respect for u until you said "should be easier than guitar". but anyways. what u can transfer over from guitar is picking and such, and creating a line. Now with bass, in many occasions, we're timekeepers, and don't OFTEN solo. then u have the crazy guys like Wooten, Claypool, and Sheehan who just go absolutely insane.

and oscar, you record yourself double thumping like wooten. i wanna see it.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
i didn't say i could do it but i know with practice i will be able to there is no doubt in my mind
As a guitarist, you have an advantage. 90% of what you know will transfer over immediately. You will need to learn how to play fingerstyle and keep both of your hands in sync with each other, which many guitarists find hard to do. It's a little bit different. IMO, bassists solo during the entire song, but we just don't get the spotlight for it.
Quote by oscar7557
i didn't say i could do it but i know with practice i will be able to there is no doubt in my mind

I don't think you realize the time and energy you have to put into practicing things like that. Wooten has been one of the best bass players in the world since the 80's. You're going to have to put a few (if not several) years of practice, just to be able to kind of emulate him.
Quote by oscar7557
so im new to the bass im a good guitar player but my friend needed somone to play bass for his new band i said i would give it a shot since bass should be easyier than guitar.. is this really the case or am i over confident? and what should i be able to aply from my gutiar playin to bass playing?

you are being way to over confident, once the absolute basics have been learned it gets harder depending on the music you want to play on the bass, for exampl, if you want to play emo music, it will not get much moe difficult but if you want to play some types of blues or metal, it will get much more difficult
www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Quote by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!
I dont know guys, he's got a good point. That point, which i agree with, is that technical ability on an instrument is down to practice and practice alone. Nothing else. There is no gift to technical ability - the gift is the ability to compose good music. Although it can be taught to a point, thats where the magic lies. I'm sure you could teach a monkey how to play bass, i mean Rob Trujillo plays so my point is proven quite dramatically there. Haha. but seriously, although he is coming across as cocky, i agree that if someone else can do it, then so can you.

oscar7557, the main difference between the instrument is their place in a song. Are you a lead guitarist or a rhythm player? Because bass is a rhythm instrument, if you're not used to being part of the rhythm section then you will need time to adjust to that.

It will take you a good few years before you can call yourself a proper bass player, but with dedication you'll be fine.

Good luck, and remember.. nobody likes cocky people. let your skills do the talking and keep your mouth free to smoke joints.

Peace.
Im a guitarist/bass player, and i have to say bass is only easier than guitar depending on what you play. If your in a three-chord punk band, yeah, its not gonna be that hard. But try to play some freaked out jazz shit, you'll wish you were doing it on a guitar.